• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gosh Wow #3

33 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a nice Wrightson Swamp-Thing page for quite a while now, but that cover to Gosh Wow #3... just beautiful.

I'm assuming it's from a fanzine put out in the 60s, but I don't recall ever having seen a copy. Curious as to what other collectors think about it's importance compaired to his other work. Should I hold out? Pull the trigger?

It's such a great looking piece and all, but 10 years from now do you think it will increase in value like some of his better known stuff.

Just interested to hear what others more knowledgeable about OA may think about it.

Thanks,

Bill B.

Wrightson's early craft-tint art is stunning and this cover will cost at least twice as much as a sharp 70s Swamp Thing 1/2 splash published page.

For those who can't find or afford 1 of his Frankenstein plates, I recommend his superbly inked OA work from Heavy Metal mag's Creep Show in the style of Franklin Booth. thumbsup2.gif

I like the Gosh Wow cover which is very reminiscent of his Swamp Thing work.

However, I must agree with the prior posts that the Frankenstein plates are amongst the best work he's ever done. I've only seen reproductions (and can't even begin to imagine what an original would cost), but they are truly amazing.

Wrightson's Frankenstein work probably ranks amongst the best work ever done by a comic artist. Ever.

One rumor I'd heard was that after making them, Wrightson was completely burnt out on drawing, which is why his more recent stuff is far less detailed and less fluid than his earlier work. But maybe that's just a rumor. . . .

Anyway, can't go wrong with the Gosh Wow! stuff for the right price.

Good luck!

The Gosh Wow cover is beautiful and I'd be bidding if I were looking for a Wrightson piece. It actually looks very Frazettaish to me (similar to the Famous Funnies covers).

Thanks for the input guys... much appreciated.

My first exposure to Wrightson's work was his Swamp-Thing run in the '70s. I still recall how disappointed I was when he left that title, so the nostalgia factor does play a role here.

Also, I have to agree that his Frankenstein work is just downright incredible... probably the pinnacle of his career.

It's funny, I no longer get bummed out when I lose an auction for a collectible, whether it's a movie/tv prop or a piece of original art. Most are all one of a kind items, but it seems like there's always something else that eventually hits the market that makes my jaw drop if I just wait long enough.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bill B.

It's a very very nice piece, but I'd be surprised if it went above $10K (or even reached that number).

Once you start getting into those dollars (although not particularly high in the current market) there is a pretty good selection of OCA that starts to become rather compelling.

Against that selection, this piece, while a beautiful example by an all time great, might not compare favorably. To me the only thing that differentiates this from the pack somewhat is its relative scarcity based on the fact that it is early Wrightson on craft-tint.

Good luck Bill!

Artmeria,

That piece is really a 100K piece - you dont see that?

I was saying 20K to be utterly...ridiculously conservative.

Frazetta's not even half as nice get over 100K.

Wrightson is 'up there' with Frazetta.

Geeez....if this doesnt break 40K...Id really be surprised....

as I think its a 100K piece in the not to distantr future.

Put your money where your mouth is, tough guy. poke2.gif

Do you see any Teletubbies in here? Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it? Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression on his face sitting outside on a mechanical helicopter that shakes when you put quarters in it? No? Well, that's what you see at a toy store. And you must think you're in a toy store, because its the only justification for your failure to recognize that we have a piece of fine art here that will one day soon be worth over 100K.

Do you see any Teletubbies in here? Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it? Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression on his face sitting outside on a mechanical helicopter that shakes when you put quarters in it? No? Well, that's what you see at a toy store. And you must think you're in a toy store, because its the only justification for your failure to recognize that we have a piece of fine art here that will one day soon be worth over 100K.

so bid 50k and double your money "one day soon"

but that would require you to actually do something instead of pontificating all day.

maybe it's best if you just wheel yourself into a corner

The Gosh Wow cover is certainly beautiful, but I too don't see it going crazy high. It can't go highr than what a Swamp Thing splash page or a Frankenstein Plate would go for, since these latter examples are considered his peak, where his art and his collectibility intersect. Sure, some of his horror art for other titles, or these late 60s/early 70s covers might be more impressive from and art-standpoint, but the popularity of Frankenstein and Swamp Thing catapult them further price-wise.

So, I would fathom that this Gosh Wow cover, albeit great, would end between 10-15K. Swamp Thing splashes, covers, and Franky Plates would start around 20-25K these days. I guess we shall see.

so bid 50k and double your money "one day soon"

but that would require you to actually do something instead of pontificating all day.

maybe it's best if you just wheel yourself into a corner

Let's all use logic here plz, instead of name calling & dispense with the challenges to 'put up or shut up'. Let's use facts & reason to discover lest we try to lynch someone for 'pontificating'.

For example, in the sale noted below [click link]

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=11303&si=121

we have a piece which sold for $150,000.

This piece is aesthetically of comparable value to the Wrightson piece & the talent of Wrightson is often compared with that of Frazetta. Moreover, this piece actually has much the flavour of a Frazetta.

So I ask you 'experts'...why do you deign to pretend this piece will not cross the 100K mark,.....I think MY EYES...are more blesses at perceiving value than many here.

..................or so it seems.

Let's all use logic here plz, instead of name calling & dispense with the challenges to 'put up or shut up'. Let's use facts & reason to discover lest we try to lynch someone for 'pontificating'.

For example, in the sale noted below [click link]

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=11303&si=121

we have a piece which sold for $150,000.

This piece is aesthetically of comparable value to the Wrightson piece & the talent of Wrightson is often compared with that of Frazetta. Moreover, this piece actually has much the flavour of a Frazetta.

So I ask you 'experts'...why do you deign to pretend this piece will not cross the 100K mark,.....I think MY EYES...are more blesses at perceiving value than many here.

..................or so it seems.

You're honestly comparing the value of this piece to Frazetta's Famous Funnies #212 cover? THAT'S your idea of "using logic here, please"?? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm sorry, an early, unsigned Wrightson fanzine (?) cover done in a Frazetta-ish style is not going to be worth more than his Frankenstein and Swamp Thing work (or, maybe you're valuing those in the 7 figures??), let alone close to what Frazetta's all-time great FF covers are worth.

Again, let's use the only REAL logic worth considering here - if all this art is undervalued as you claim, go out and put your money where your mouth is. How much OA have you been buying lately, Krazy Glass? For as bullish as you claim to be, I'm guessing you rank pretty low on the list of big spenders around here, just flapping your gums trying to pump up the value of the stuff you bought on the cheap years ago. Money talks, man - if you're as logical and bullish as you claim, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

1803598-money.jpg

1803598-money.jpg.856246eafb2e664d2d5a0a733f4478c0.jpg

11303_32252_2.jpg

Similar pieces should result in silmilar prices. In the above Frazetta example the commanding price was over 100K...and it is clearly not as technically nice as the WOW # 3 Cover. Wrightson is merely under-rated [as compared to Frazetta] so I think many are just 'bedazzled' by the name Frazetta and are forgetting about THE ART. Over 100K I say for the WOW #3 Cover in due time. As regarding your notion that the title 'Famous Funnies' is superior to 'Wow'....I happen to be utilizing a novel approach,...I am looking at THE ART not the title.

The diffeence between you & I is IIIII have imagination. You will be agreeing with me only once it happens. I other hand am daring enough to make bold and measured predictions. And who says I wont be bidding????

Similar pieces should result in silmilar prices. In the above Frazetta example the commanding price was over 100K...and it is clearly not as technically nice as the WOW # 3 Cover. Wrightson is merely under-rated [as compared to Frazetta] so I think many are just 'bedazzled' by the name Frazetta and are forgetting about THE ART. Over 100K I say for the WOW #3 Cover in due time. As regarding your notion that the title 'Famous Funnies' is superior to 'Wow'....I happen to be utilizing a novel approach,...I am looking at THE ART not the title.

"Similar pieces should result in similar prices?" I guess Mike Hoffman's Frazetta-esque artwork should command, what, at least half of Frazetta's prices?? If I paint 3 colors against a solid background, is it going to be worth $73 million to someone because it looks like a Rothko??

Seriously, your arguments are making less and less sense all the time. 893naughty-thumb.gif