• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gosh Wow #3

33 posts in this topic

Personally, I would be shocked, I mean absolutely shocked it the Wrightson cover does not cross the $500k level with my top estimate at $1,000k. I think we should see the price start running up within the next 6 to 8 hours with the final snip bid being placed 7 seconds before the auction ends. insane.gif

Similar pieces should result in silmilar prices. In the above Frazetta example the commanding price was over 100K...and it is clearly not as technically nice as the WOW # 3 Cover. Wrightson is merely under-rated [as compared to Frazetta] so I think many are just 'bedazzled' by the name Frazetta and are forgetting about THE ART. Over 100K I say for the WOW #3 Cover in due time. As regarding your notion that the title 'Famous Funnies' is superior to 'Wow'....I happen to be utilizing a novel approach,...I am looking at THE ART not the title.

"Similar pieces should result in similar prices?" I guess Mike Hoffman's Frazetta-esque artwork should command, what, at least half of Frazetta's prices??

So your saying I got ripped off when I sold this to a fellow board member for less than, say $50,000.00 ? foreheadslap.gif

1803831-octavia-trilogy.jpg

Uh, Steve, I'm gonna need you to FedEx me that painting back this Saturday

1803831-octavia-trilogy.jpg.3d079593c712ba142f034f74f54fcbcb.jpg

I guess you guys view all the drek that you possess as similar merely because components elements imitate greatness. Anyone who thinks that that Mike Hoffman garbage is similar truly cant even engage me in any discussion of aesthetics. I forget most of you guys lack EYES to see & a palette to discrimnate.

I used to collect Hoffman but when he started bashing Frank Frazetta and DocDave I dumped all his art. When I mentioned this to Frank, he chuckled and said the kid (Hoffman) had a long way to go before being mentioned in the same sentence as himself.

Amen!

It's a very very nice piece, but I'd be surprised if it went above $10K (or even reached that number).

By the way, I might be new to the boards, and new to the hobby, but I think I did call this one.

Unsigned Wrightson Gosh Wow cover - Winning bid: US $7,480.00.

I guess someone has to be shocked and amazed that it did not get that $50K or even $20K bid!

Take care all.

I've really enjoyed reading the spirited banter since my last post.

I'ts funny, I usually snipe when bidding, but the last two times I did so I lost because the bid didn't go through for some reason. Didn't want that to happen this time, so I placed a bid yesterday at what I felt the piece was worth to me - $7501.00 (though I did up it slightly towards the end of the listing). Bidder 15 had bid $6666.00 prior to my bid, so it is possible that if I had waited and sniped (and not had a problem this time) and no one else placed a bid, I could have won the item for around $800.00 less than what I ended up paying.

Bottom line; It's mine for $7480.00 which just $21.00 less than my first bid and I'm very happy with that.

Artemaria - Good call!

I've really enjoyed reading the spirited banter since my last post.

I'ts funny, I usually snipe when bidding, but the last two times I did so I lost because the bid didn't go through for some reason. Didn't want that to happen this time, so I placed a bid yesterday at what I felt the piece was worth to me - $7501.00 (though I did up it slightly towards the end of the listing). Bidder 15 had bid $6666.00 prior to my bid, so it is possible that if I had waited and sniped (and not had a problem this time) and no one else placed a bid, I could have won the item for around $800.00 less than what I ended up paying.

Bottom line; It's mine for $7480.00 which just $21.00 less than my first bid and I'm very happy with that.

Artemaria - Good call!

Nice job! According to some people around here, you're already up about $92,520!

In all seriousness, congrats on the win - it's an awesome piece.

Nice win! I didn't see how this piece would go over 10K, especially since it was published in a fanzine and isn't a Heritage auction. It's a beautiful piece regardless of $$$. That's all that matters.

Artmeria,

That piece is really a 100K piece - you dont see that?

I was saying 20K to be utterly...ridiculously conservative.

Frazetta's not even half as nice get over 100K.

Wrightson is 'up there' with Frazetta.

Geeez....if this doesnt break 40K...Id really be surprised....

as I think its a 100K piece in the not to distantr future.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Bill -

Congratulations on getting a good deal on a great piece! It is always easy to second guess yourself on eBay, but you can't argue with the results. If you tried to snipe and didn't get it for $21, you would have been bummed out of your mind.

You sound like a really good guy and I am happy that the Wrightson has found a nice home. Enjoy!

If you have the time and inclination, if you'd like to PM me the "rock solid provenance," I'd be curious to hear it. Although based on the posted picture, from the scan, it look undoubtedly to be a Wrightson.

Again - great job Bill!

Thanks to everyone (with a certain allegedly fragile exception) on the board!

- A

Regarding the "iron-clad" provenence: I can vouch for Dave, the seller. He is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time collector who was there in the early days of collecting. Have done deals with him in the past and NEVER had a problem. Congrats on the pickup, you got a beaut!!

Please don't misunderstand my post to intimate any issue regarding the seller.

I have absolutely no doubt that it is a Wrightson. And I have absolutely no question about the seller or his integrity.

I'm just wondering what the provenance is, for no reason other than to satisfy my own curiosity.