• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Does Chuck Think He's Fooling?

69 posts in this topic

Yes, self-promoting statements are so much worse then the bashing some dish out on Chuck. I think I just rolled my eyes so far back, I can see my brain suffocating from the hypocrisy.

What I don't like about Chuck is that he seems to alrwady have 10 long boxes of 50 cent books and $1 books plucked out of the bargain bins at shows before i can even get in the door and I might show up before they open! He basically cleared out one of my favorite dealers before I could even get in the door.

seriously, what does this guy need with more 70s and 80s bargain bin fodder? Doesn't he literally have 40 or 50 copies of everything already, and perhaps hundreds and thousands of some issue?

My only dealings with Mile High has been to buy a handful of books and I find his grading to be not very good at times. Consequently, I am very reluctant to buy HG books from him. I've never met the man. I don't know him from Adam.

However, all folks seem to do is rail on about how he basically stole the comics from the Church family by paying 10 cents a book. No one mentions the fact that the Church family could have researched what they had and gone into the transaction with a better idea of the trove they posessed. I'm assuming they either did not do that or didn't care to do that.

it would surprise me a great deal to discover that he did not already know this, and so there must be another reason / rationale for his pricing model. perhaps he has a lot of overhead that he has to carry, perhaps the pricing is reflective of the number of returns/refunds they have to give out, perhaps there are inefficiencies in his business model that he can't fix for whatever reason...or maybe it is a bit of all of the above.

i can't just believe that he's blindly pricing stuff at 2-300% of guide only to offer running sales at 120-200% of guide just because he enjoys giving Moulton and the other database monkeys something to do

Oh, I've no doubt Chuck would patiently explain to you that he keeps his pricing 'on the high side' as a benefit to the rest of the industry. Why, if he priced his voluminous inventory at 'standard' prices, he'd flood the market with high-grade, low-priced books and the market would collapse. He's constantly thinking of us poor collectors, it's just not always obvious insane.gif

It is true that the collection was purchased for $.10 a book. And Chuck had to borrow the $2000 to buy them. It is also true that if he didn't buy them they would have been trashed. Some were thrown out prior to his purchase .

...and the cow jumped over the moon!

There's no specific evidence that any of Church's books were thrown out, only gaps in title runs and a dearth of funny animal/teen/humor books. As for Chuck 'saving' the collection from the county dump, that's pure Chuck. We have only Chuck's account of things to go by, so we'll never know for sure. I think it's quite possible that the Church heirs would have made a few more phone calls before tossing the comics.

I'm happy that the collection survives to this day, but I don't believe a whole lot of Chuckie's one-sided account of how the acquisition part of the deal went down...