• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's early, but anybody going to Dallas in Nov,setting up CGC dinner

39 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I know it's early, but is anybody going to Dallas, TX for the show in November?

I will be setting up the CGC dinner, so let me know if you are going to Dallas.

Valiantman - you should take a break from those valuable SQL search queries and come on to Dallas.

Michael

Are the Cowboys gonna play my Eages by chance that weekend? That would be an awesome twist.

Nope! No Cowboys vs Eagles going that week of the con.

Bruce, quick chasing all those 9.8+ books and drop some money here in Dallas.

Are you coming down here?

Whaaaaaaaaatt! 893whatthe.gif Drop money on something besides a beloved bronze age key slabbed 9.6/9.8?? Blasphemy Michael!! Maybe if I sleep on a park bench and panhandle for my meals 27_laughing.gif.. then I can do both!

Every time I consider traveling to a convention out of state... I have trouble rationalizing the expenditure vs. a sure key I could buy. I know its a sickness... is there a "SlabBuyersAnonoymous" program I could join?

It seems like it would be work then... I'd feel pressured to find gems to CGC and profit on to counterbalance the costs... Like Gman does. Then we'd be bumping elbows in the same boxes, getting pissed and then an all all-out brawl would follow that no one needs to see. Plus... Comgeek and the other professional, full-time "Gem Hunters" will sniff out all the lucrative stuff before I get a chance.

Fast forward:

(bb13) "Hello, my name is Bruce and I'm a High Grade, Bronze Slab-a-holic....

(whole group) "Hiiiii Bruce" ... (group counselor) "when did you realize you had a problem?"

(bb13) "It was when I started to equate all life's expenditures in terms of what CGC keys I could buy instead... and my Wife leaving too"

(group counselor) "What sort of compromises were you finding yourself considering or doing?"

(bb13) "Hmmm, well not being willing to travel to comic conventions out of state made me realize that other steps I had taken in my life were also subconscious attemptss to put more funds towards CGC slabbed keys"

(group counselor) "such as?"

(bb13) "well I drive a beat up truck with peeling paint, I cut my own hair now, I go to Chinese Buffets with big ziplock bags so I can take home a few extra meals, I started to take dumps with the dog in the back yard to save on TP and my water bill, I also joined those experimental drug testing programs... well, uhh.. at least the ones that would let me bring my laptop with me to the sleep-over tests so I could scan ebay for more slabs while I was getting paid. And then my wife left after I took her to the Hallmark shop for our 10th Anniversary."

(group counselor) "Hmm, that is pretty severe, but what happened with your Wife at the Hallmark shop?"

(bb13) "Well I took her there and picked out a nice card for her, I showed it to her and then put it back. She was confused for some reason, but then I explained how we could save about $300 a year if we went there, picked out cards for each other, and then put them back and left. I told her I could pick up a CGC 9.6 Daredevil 158 with White pages for that loot... and then that was the last thing I remember until I woke up at the hospital"

(group counselor) "What happened?!"

(bb13) "Get this, she got mad! I never saw it coming, but she clocked me with some heavy scented candle... i recall smelling "Apple Mango" briefly before it all went black"

(whole group) "Gaaaaasp!!, mutter, mutter"

27_laughing.gif

My wife is sitting right beside me currently, watching for my response

as to what I'm snickering about, and specifically how I'm going to

respond.......

Yes gentlemen, I will be attending the 3 day comic book convention

in that fine outstanding city to our north. I will be absolutely gushing

with addoration and compliments to that fine Yankee city of the great

state of Texas. I am certainly going to have a very entertaining time

meeting my fellow emphameriologistic compatriots, and regailling each

and everyone of them with the fine downhome Texas hospitality.

We'll all sit around the hotel lobby like lifelong friends, singing old

Spiderman cartoon themes, and bonding in that special way that only

fanboy waanabes can.

Good, she went back to the kitchen, ..........

FIRST OFF..... stay away from the young ladies passing out the free

passes to the 'gentlemen's club' . You'll probably find free drink cards

on any mass transportation venue you step on too. Find a set of wheels

to drive. RENT-A-WRECK is your key word for the weekend.

For those of you from the northern, and eastern climes, it will still

be hotter than Aunt Sadies biscuits at the end of November, but, it

may snow and freeze also. If it does freeze, DO NOT, under any

circumstance whatsoever, try to travel anywhere, by any mode of

transport. Dallas natives do not know how to drive on ice, period.

Stay at your hotel. Period. Walking on any sidewalk, anywhere near

moving traffic, when it is freezing and icey in Dallas is tanamount to

committing suicide.

DO NOT mention the Dallas Cowboys. Most residents of the vast

metropolitan area surrounding Tarrant county will not shut up when

engaged in a conversation concerning the Cowboys. Be prepared to

hear endless stories of heroes of yore.

One sure way to get a Cowboys fan to shut up----

Use the phrase: " Didn't they loose to the Texans, 19-10 last year?"

Forget any idea that distances are measured in miles. Here in Texas

we measure distance by time. It takes me an hour and ten minutes to

get to work. Yahoo says I work 72 miles away. Could be true.

Also, don't expect to find the correct exit off of the LBJ loop. Don't

get on this fiasco, supposedly a freeway, unless you absolutely have to.

Being a native of Houston, I can tell you with all honesty that the

city of Dallas is not the cozy, clean, gleaming metropolitan area as

portrayed in the 1980's tv show of the same name. It is in reallity a

rat infested, hooker inhabited, drug pimping halcion jurisdiction, inhabited

by freelance freeks and nerdowells.

First round of Bud Light is on me.....

rantpost.gif

ALSO, just an FYI - fully nude strip clubs in Dallas do NOT serve alcohol. Not that I'd KNOW or anything.

I've never been in a fully nude club that does serve. I think it's a law or somethin'.

ALSO, just an FYI - fully nude strip clubs in Dallas do NOT serve alcohol. Not that I'd KNOW or anything.

I've never been in a fully nude club that does serve. I think it's a law or somethin'.

In the US, it is a law. However our neighbors up North and South of the Border, get to oglepanty-less pirouetting whilst lapping down some lager... shocked.gif

Being a native of Houston, I can tell you with all honesty that the

city of Dallas is not the cozy, clean, gleaming metropolitan area as

portrayed in the 1980's tv show of the same name. It is in reallity a

rat infested, hooker inhabited, drug pimping halcion jurisdiction, inhabited

by freelance freeks and nerdowells.

But you will be here, so all is forgiven. Houston is after all the nirvana of all cities right?

In the US, it is a law. However our neighbors up North and South of the Border, get to oglepanty-less pirouetting whilst lapping down some lager... shocked.gif

Inaccurate my friend!

DC's fine fully-nude establishments PROUDLY serve overpriced, watered down alcoholic beverages. As do Chicago's, New York's, Atlanta's and Miami's. Again, not that I'd know or anything.

Again, just from what I've read, if you're ever in DC and have a hankering to see naked ladies, avoid the "strip" on L street and head to Good Guys on upper Wisconsin Avenue. MUCH less poser crowd, the dancers are actually ::shudder:: pleasant, and there's some "interactive demos", if you know what I mean.

Again, not that' I'd know or anything. Although I did score the highest so far on the Bas. test....