• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Marvel Mystery Comic #11-bigger front scan

36 posts in this topic

I remember a pre-hero Strange Tales I had that looked like an 8.0 but it ended up a 5.5 because there was an inside invisible crease on the cover foreheadslap.gif maybe something along those lines caused the drop in grade.. confused-smiley-013.gif still looks 9.0 from the scan to me. I'd be proud to have that book thumbsup2.gif

the book got a 6.0

Yikes. Hosed. crazy.gif

What did Marnin have it at? I am assuming that's who you got it from if it's the Detroit Trolley copy.

hello all..

yes, it was from marnin...I believe he had it at 7.0/7.5?...I too, thought it was in the 7.0 range (give or take)....but, there has to be a reason it only got a 6.0....irregardless of the numberical grade, it certainly presents nice smile.gif

rick

ok, just got off the phone with brad, one of about 6 different graders that looked at this book...outside of the defects I noted on first page....

a defect I did not pick up on, and one that is not visible, is an interior back cover 7" crease that does not break color, can only be seen from inside cover inspection (not visible on back cover)...

they also noted a light stain on HT face (again, I can't see it, but under diff light, I guess it is there), and a light stain on the V in Marvel...

pre grades were 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5...

gator

wow, a beautiful book like that knocked down to a 6.0 due to a light stain and an invisible crease,.. kinda makes you wish for the old days when we cared more about how a book looks and not all this structural mumbo jumbo, bah ! sumo.gifwink.gif

still a very nice book gator. thumbsup2.gif

So with a BC crease only visible from inside and a faint stain on the front almost impossible to see you get a 6.0 - but if it had been a dust shadow on the BC, and some visible foxing on the FC you might have gotten a 7.0. Is that about right?

Unfortunately, I think that is right...

Books with long inapparent creases are the best to buy already slabbed and the worst to slab yourself frown.gif I've been burned with that before as well

Unfortunately, I think that is right...

Books with long inapparent creases are the best to buy already slabbed and the worst to slab yourself frown.gif I've been burned with that before as well

hello all....

the slabbing is mainly for the cgc resto check...that, I don't want to get burned on (to me, that significantly affects value if bought at unrestored pricing)...should I ever need to sell this book, all will be disclosed, and the price will be relative to what I paid...plain to see it is a beaut!

thanks, all

gator

I remember a pre-hero Strange Tales I had that looked like an 8.0 but it ended up a 5.5 because there was an inside invisible crease on the cover foreheadslap.gif maybe something along those lines caused the drop in grade.. confused-smiley-013.gif still looks 9.0 from the scan to me. I'd be proud to have that book thumbsup2.gif

we have a winnah!...you hit it right on the head...

gator

ok, just got off the phone with brad, one of about 6 different graders that looked at this book...outside of the defects I noted on first page....

a defect I did not pick up on, and one that is not visible, is an interior back cover 7" crease that does not break color, can only be seen from inside cover inspection (not visible on back cover)...

they also noted a light stain on HT face (again, I can't see it, but under diff light, I guess it is there), and a light stain on the V in Marvel...

pre grades were 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5...

gator

Stains that you can't see, that sounds familar. foreheadslap.gif Maybe CGC can point out where the 2 inch stain on the cover of my Human Torch #12 is because I still can't see it. Christo_pull_hair.gif We all know how they hammer books with stains but looks like they really hammer books with stains you can't see. screwy.gif Rick you should resub this at a Comic Con, maybe they will miss the stain the next time around and give this book at least a 7.0 that it deserves.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmm...someone just emailed me that matt can press out non color breaking creases...won't affect the visual parts of the cover, but would clean something up...in any event, I have already paid for the slabbing, so there it will stay....I only buy books for me (unless I upgrade I don't generally sell them), so I am happy

rick

Okay I just looked at the Cage Marvel Comics #1 with its 10+ color breaking creases along the spine and blunted corners and I'm trying hard not to go on a rant. No way you can compare the two books and say they are the same grade, just nonsense. Christo_pull_hair.gif