• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone think ASM Ditko Interiors will be doing 100K each soon?

32 posts in this topic

More to the point . .

Ayone think you'll be getting banned soon? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You dont like art going up in value?

I was at Christies modern show yesterday...the drek they sold...and the prices they got.....[Lemon Marilyn - $25 Million]

http://www.internetwritingjournal.com/cgi-bin/iwjblog.pl?id=320071

made me say to myself................OA is so under-valued.......

as this Super Hero thing will only get bigger and bigger...

and the art world will look to us........

as we have all the actual pictures of 'America's Gods'!!!!

Hey, Mr. Glass. Good to see you again for the first time.

Myself, I'm stunned at some of the prices that are being achieved by Ditko OA. And, if it's superhero-related, the prices climb even higher.

It's being driven -- of course -- by the fans that remember the early stuff. But what happens when the next generation of collectors appear? The ones that don't remember...or care about...the Ditkos, the Kanes, the Gray Morrows? The ones that think that good comic art started with Jim Lee and ends with John Cassaday?

When the next gen comes along, I think we'll see stagnant prices for Silver Age OA unless it's character-driven (Spider-Man, Batman, Superman will always be money). I'm amazed that collectors will pay more for a Jim Lee cover than a Wally Wood piece -- especially when there's gonna be more Lee work available in the years to come but Wally is kinda done for now.

So, Mr. Glass, if you're buying OA for investment purposes ONLY: Spider-Man by Ditko/Yes. The Question by Ditko/No. But you might want to pick up some of that Jim Lee stuff while it's available....

Uh, yeah.

But thats really besides the point...as really cares WHO is paying da $$$..as long as they do.

How many people in the hobby today can afford Ditko pages at $28K a pop (and I mean truly afford it, not just that they have a big OA collection and could theoretically sell $28K worth of stuff to buy a Ditko page)? Of the people who can truly afford to do so, how many of them are so obsessive about collecting Ditko Spidey pages that they'd actually lay out the cash? How would your answers change if "$28K" were replaced by "$100K"?

It's true that the examples of fine art prices that you cite perhaps make comic book OA look dirt cheap by comparison. But, there is a fundamental reason for that - fine art is universally coveted and collected and there is a growing class of deca and centi-millionaires and billionaires worldwide who are willing to pony up for the art because they have the money (IMO, though, $73 million for a Rothko is the very definition of insanity).

Collecting American comic book art, on the other hand, is a niche hobby with a bit of a low-brow stigma attached to it. A near-totality of the best pieces reside in the hands of long-time obsessed collectors - only a few exceptions have gone to moneyed outsiders - which tells me that future price appreciation is likely to continue being generated internally from this pool of hobbyists. If that is the case, let me ask again - how many people in the hobby can truly afford and are willing to shell out the "krazy" money you are suggesting?

I don't think the drivers are there in the comic OA world to propel prices into the stratosphere from current price levels. Not saying that prices can't continue to go up, but things would have to change drastically for the krazy scenario to unfold...

Hey, Mr. Glass. Good to see you again for the first time.

Myself, I'm stunned at some of the prices that are being achieved by Ditko OA. And, if it's superhero-related, the prices climb even higher.

It's being driven -- of course -- by the fans that remember the early stuff. But what happens when the next generation of collectors appear? The ones that don't remember...or care about...the Ditkos, the Kanes, the Gray Morrows? The ones that think that good comic art started with Jim Lee and ends with John Cassaday?

When the next gen comes along, I think we'll see stagnant prices for Silver Age OA unless it's character-driven (Spider-Man, Batman, Superman will always be money). I'm amazed that collectors will pay more for a Jim Lee cover than a Wally Wood piece -- especially when there's gonna be more Lee work available in the years to come but Wally is kinda done for now.

So, Mr. Glass, if you're buying OA for investment purposes ONLY: Spider-Man by Ditko/Yes. The Question by Ditko/No. But you might want to pick up some of that Jim Lee stuff while it's available....

Hey Hal,

Ditko / Romita/ Colan / Severin...

they aint even dead yet.

I just look at the phenomena of art as art -- and separate the Delicatessen nonsense....(that being bearish ramblings about 'who' exactly is going to be the future market [ heck, I leave THAT up to the market]),...

and see underpiinings which are very strong.

I recognize that MY generation cares more about THEIR 'ETERNAL' images MORE than they do about the pasts...DEAD images....

we are living in interesting times....

And as I said....

OUR artists aint even IN THE GROUND!!! [a historically relevant fact, as markets have in the past accrued value to the demise of ability to generate more work-product]

* PS - I do agree....the particluar piece is paramountly important...as while OA as a 'general idea' will deliver moderate returns...the real money will be made by those that possess THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

the real money will be made by those that possess THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you.

Instead of stained bristol board, too bad you didn't put your money into Warhols, Pollocks, and Rothkos.

I think there is definitely some krazy money flowing into the OA arena, but only time will tell if the krazy money continues to flow and increase. I think some of the increase has come from a decrease in comic buying as some collectors have grown tired of it and moved into OA.