• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone think ASM Ditko Interiors will be doing 100K each soon?

32 posts in this topic

I think there is definitely some krazy money flowing into the OA arena, but only time will tell if the krazy money continues to flow and increase. I think some of the increase has come from a decrease in comic buying as some collectors have grown tired of it and moved into OA.

Agreed. Comic collectors are disillusioned with value predicated on manipulated condition [pressing] & abandoning comics in favour of one of a kind treasures. Moreover, art is receiving increased media interest as an investment. I think the idea of art as an investment is finally gaining prominence again [cyclical phenomena].

I bought a book recently called "The Intrepid Art Collector" as I wanted to learn more about the fine art arena. How the whole artist/dealer/collector relationships worked. What caused art to appreciate etc. It's a highly recommended book for novice art collectors.

Lo and behold on page 29 there is a section (just a couple of pages) dedicated to Original Comic Art under Contemporary Art. I do think it's becoming more accepted by the mainstream art collecting community, and I think it's "cheap" relative to other art forms. There is definitely investment potential....but that's not why I buy it. FWIW they say Original Comic Art's value is predicated on:

-How important the artist is. Someone who drew an important comic will command high prices, even for his or her lesser work.

-The iconic importance of the comic strip or cartoon.

-How rare the artwork is.

-The condition of the artwork.

Not hugely informative for people on this board, but I think important that it's included in a "fine" art reference book.

To tell you the truth, ONE of the reasons I unloaded my slabbed books was concerns about pressing. I know first hand that there are very respected sellers of comics that press books. The ethical argument notwithstanding, from a purely supply and demand argument high grade book populations may actually increase with time instead of decrease. Well I couldn't justify the prices if the rarity factor was completely unpredictable. I love the unique nature of our art. I know the original poster may be controversial, but that's my 2 cents anyway....

I bought a book recently called "The Intrepid Art Collector" as I wanted to learn more about the fine art arena. How the whole artist/dealer/collector relationships worked. What caused art to appreciate etc. It's a highly recommended book for novice art collectors.

Lo and behold on page 29 there is a section (just a couple of pages) dedicated to Original Comic Art under Contemporary Art. I do think it's becoming more accepted by the mainstream art collecting community, and I think it's "cheap" relative to other art forms. There is definitely investment potential....but that's not why I buy it.FWIW they say Original Comic Art's value is predicated on:

-How important the artist is. Someone who drew an important comic will command high prices, even for his or her lesser work.

-The iconic importance of the comic strip or cartoon.

-How rare the artwork is.

-The condition of the artwork.

Not hugely informative for people on this board, but I think important that it's included in a "fine" art reference book.

To tell you the truth, ONE of the reasons I unloaded my slabbed books was concerns about pressing. I know first hand that there are very respected sellers of comics that press books. The ethical argument notwithstanding, from a purely supply and demand argument high grade book populations may actually increase with time instead of decrease. Well I couldn't justify the prices if the rarity factor was completely unpredictable. I love the unique nature of our art. I know the original poster may be controversial, but that's my 2 cents anyway....

Mithril,

I honestly dont know where the OA market will be in the future. But one cannot deny that the under-pinnings are quite compelling. Especially, when compared with comic books. Your point about owning the best copy of a book and paying obscene premiums to learn in the future that your book isn't even anymore the best copy is a great example of the riduclulousness of risk outweighing reward. That said, I think I may have said this in the past somehwere and dont want to aggravate anyone -- so Ill quit at that statement.

That Rothko going for $73 million has got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse. Pure idiocy run rampant...what's scary is that whoever won this somehow came up with that kind of money in the first place.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1797653.ece

What you call 'signs of the apocolypse' I call a sign that the sun is about to rise.........like crickets chirping my friend, like crickets chirping.

That Rothko going for $73 million has got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse. Pure idiocy run rampant...what's scary is that whoever won this somehow came up with that kind of money in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. What garbage!

It just goes to show how utterly removed from reality the fine art world is. I love this comment. What tripe. How anyone could believe this (let alone post it in public) is beyond me.

"I was totally captivated by the daring juxtaposition of yellow , pink and ( even ) lavender , caught in a horizontal format. One is reminded of the Albert Camus novel , the Outsider, which asked the important question " how much darkness is there in light ? " ...and for that matter , how much light is there in darkness ?

The daring extrapolation of lines , the feeling that were this a vertical painting all meaning would be lost. What could possibly have driven Mark Rothko to have added a center of white ? Genius , I say . Perhaps he ran out of paint some might say .

The painting sold for $73 at Sotherby's , I understand . One wonders how Mr David Rockefeller can possibly stand the loss to his considerable fortune. Or maybe it was the perfect a antidote to hiccups or depression .

Gordon Fulthorpe MD, Dundas, Canada"