• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simonson Thor TPB

14 posts in this topic

Most people here are fans of Simonson's Thor work... and if you haven't read the two trades, the second of which was released yesterday, pick it up. It's some of the best stuff Marvel put out, and the zenith of Thor's entire run. I own the originals, but there's nothing like being able to read the books in a nice tpb format. Great stuff.

It's some of the best stuff Marvel put out, and the zenith of Thor's entire run.

I agree, just picked up the second TPB myself and its great to read those stories again. There are also a lot of issues packed into Vol 2 making it great value. Can't go wrong with this one. grin.gif

Sounds like a plan. I recently went retro and re-read the Watchmen series and TPB's of: Moore Swampthing, Dark Knight, Year one, Year two.

I was hoping I could re-read the entire Miller DD and Simonson Thor runs too. After that, I want the entire New X-men run 94-143. Are there trades of these as well?

I want the entire New X-men run 94-143. Are there trades of these as well?

There are the Essentials if you want to read them in B&W. I don't think the entire 94-143 run is available in color though. There is certainly a trade for the Dark Pheonix saga, but I'm not sure the rest are available. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most people here are fans of Simonson's Thor work... and if you haven't read the two trades, the second of which was released yesterday, pick it up. It's some of the best stuff Marvel put out, and the zenith of Thor's entire run. I own the originals, but there's nothing like being able to read the books in a nice tpb format. Great stuff.

I've actually never read these.... I'll pick them up, and if they suck, I'm calling you out.... grin.gif

Sounds like a plan. I recently went retro and re-read the Watchmen series and TPB's of: Moore Swampthing, Dark Knight, Year one, Year two.

I was hoping I could re-read the entire Miller DD and Simonson Thor runs too. After that, I want the entire New X-men run 94-143. Are there trades of these as well?

The Masterworks will get you 94 to 120..... then your best bet is a cheap run of Classic X-Men (the late 80s color reprint series).

You haven't read the X-Men 94-143 run and you call yourself bronzebruce? 893whatthe.gif

The Masterworks will get you 94 to 120..... then your best bet is a cheap run of Classic X-Men (the late 80s color reprint series).

You haven't read the X-Men 94-143 run and you call yourself bronzebruce? 893whatthe.gif

Doc, my friend... you missed an important word in my quote:

I was hoping I could >>> re-read <<< the entire Miller DD and Simonson Thor runs too. After that, I want the entire New X-men run 94-143. Are there trades of these as well?

Actually I have all those classic reprints...forgot...good advice

Lately, I felt the need to >>> re-read <<< the classic runs that really impacted me when I was younger. It's been so long and I figured it might be interesting to see if I enjoyed them as much, or differently as a 37 (soon to be 38) year old adult... compared to a fan between 16-20.

First I >>> re-read <<< the Watchmen, which I read in '85? I guess and not since. I really did forget who the killer was and a good deal of the plot, etc. I must say I enjoyed it even more (no pun) this time. When I was younger, I had trouble looking past art I did not find exceptional and could not get into the story "as much" as a result. That was unfortunate. This time around Dave Gibbons art did not bother me and I was totally immersed in Moore's storytelling. I wish he'd do a follow up to the series. Some of the characters were cool enough to deserve a shot at their own title. Rorschach is like schitzo Batman with multiple disorders. I also think Dr. Manhattan could use a few solo treatments.

Next was the original Dark Knight.. which I remembered and enjoyed again very much. I did feel that the "new" Robin was less believable this time though.

Then the Moore Swampthing TPB with the Woodrue story line... Killer Art and Story. Made me want to force Moore back to the title.

The real surprise was Batman Year One. When I was younger and it came out. I was Pissed Miller was not drawing it. I looked at Mazzuccelli's art, was underwhelmed and apparently skimmed it. What a mistake! I read it (I guess for the first time) and this time the art hit home big time, set the appropriate mood and "dated" the work appropriately. I get it now. Miller's -script was great too... loved it. The effectiveness of Mazzuccelli's art stood out even more when I read "Year Two". I liked those artists better in general terms, but NOT when telling an older Batman story.

So now.. I need the Simonson Thor run and the new X-Men to complete the mission... maybe a few more too.

I've actually never read these.... I'll pick them up, and if they suck, I'm calling you out....

I hope you like them then! I reread both books today and they're great... even if you're not a huge Thor fan, it's hard not to be a fan of this run.