• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another OA question...

7 posts in this topic

Since I'm new to the world of OA, what is blue line inking? I saw some stuff from Sean Phillips with some blue lines and was curious. Is this still considered "original?"

Blue line inking is when an artist pencils a page - scans it in - prints out a copy of it and the inker works on that. Creating two copies of the artwork.

And yes, it's still considered original art. Though some find the pencil more desireable than the inks.

In the case of Sean Phillips - he often roughs out pages using a non-repo blue pen and does the final artwork on top of that. I've got a Marvel Zombies page like that. It's 100% orginal art also - though some just don't like the way it looks.

The blue ink also does not scan on some scaners thus allowing the artist to go buck wild when sketching and doing final inks withought having to erase to much

The blue ink also does not scan on some scaners thus allowing the artist to go buck wild when sketching and doing final inks withought having to erase to much

Yeah - it's the same premise as a non-repo blue pen. You can draw all over the image with it and it won't be picked up when you shoot/scan the image for production.

Yeah - it's the same premise as a non-repo blue pen. You can draw all over the image with it and it won't be picked up when you shoot/scan the image for production.

That's how Ryan Ottley does his Invincible stuff; goes nuts with the blue and then picks the best lines to for inking. Below is my Invincible page. As you can see, only the inks were picked up. This page is loaded with blue-line, especially around Invincible's left hand. Sorry I don't know how to make the pic any bigger.

Invincible.jpg