• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY IS NM- THE END IN OVERSTREET?WHAT ABOUT 9.8?9.9?10?

21 posts in this topic

9.8's, 9.9's and 10.0's don't have a typical value they go for. Most books from the silver age and earlier probably do not have existing copies in 9.8 or better. If one does come along it goes for whatever someone is willing to pay.

Most books from the silver age and earlier probably do not have existing copies in 9.8 or better.

What about all the Church comics?

What about the Gaines file copies?

What about other file copies?

Most books from the silver age and earlier probably do not have existing copies in 9.8 or better.

It's hard to establish a real market value for 1 or 2 copies that sell once every 10 years or so.

So you either don't try and come up with a value or work from a forumla that at best will be a wild guesstimate.

they sway too much for a formula?

For 9.8 and up, I agree. For 9.4 and 9.6, I don't. Most of the issues SHOULD go up to 9.6, but for the older issues, they can be skipped since there isn't enough data to establish any kind of market value. I think Overstreet already does this for some or all Golden Age books, only lists values up to a certain grade below 9.2--I seem to recall some with the top price listed as being for 8.0 or 9.0.

Even most Silver Age has some predictability for 9.4s and 9.6s, although perhaps some issues and titles don't, such as some harder-to-find DC titles.

Most Church, Gaines and file copies are not 9.8 or better. A few are, but most are not. Even these greatest pedigrees only have a very small fraction at 9.8 or better. Then put that on the scale with the many other millions of copies of books that are not 9.8 or better.

Who's raw grading above 9.2 do you trust on a pricey book?

poke2.gif

Mine sumo.gif

Guys like you and I don't own pricey books in high grade.

smirk.gif

WHY IS NM- THE END IN OVERSTREET?WHAT ABOUT 9.8?9.9?10?

Because a while ago, Overstreet wanted to come out with a publication to rival GPAnalysis. The way to do this was to split the pricing, to make the Guide "raw" pricing and their new publication "slabbed" pricing. They dropped from 9.4 to 9.2 because 9.4 and up are "CGC grades" and that was to be the basis of The Overstreet Comic Price Review. The publication folded relatively quickly and then Overstreet was stuck.

What about the fact that it bills itself as a price GUIDE, and should be listing prices for all grades? IMHO, dropping the top grade listed from 9.4 to 9.2 was nothing more than a back door attempt at a price hike on high end books.

I understand what you are saying but if you are going to list all grades that is 50 grades per issue. (25 raw grades and 25 CGC grades) - you just would not be able to fit all that into a paper guide. Even if you just decided to do the higher grades, if you are providing a guide value for 9.4, why not 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0? and then the space problem still comes into play.

The hobby is indebted to Overstreet. But the book, as presently constituted, is just not actually revelant anymore to real life pricing. It has not been for many years, but the gap between Overstreet and the true market value just continues to widen every year. If I am looking at prices, I go to the GPA. Overstreet does not even enter my mind. I have heard the explanations, but none of them make any logic to me, as to why a PRICE guide would be so far off from the reality of pricing. Having a little experinece in real estate, I know if anyone tried to price homes like that, they would be a laughing stock of their area. Or if a guide came out every year of average stock prices, and they were 4-10 times lower then what the stocks actually sold for during the year? Or imagine if someone offered you Overstreet prices to purchase your collection?

The hobby is indebted to Overstreet. But the book, as presently constituted, is just not actually revelant anymore to real life pricing. It has not been for many years, but the gap between Overstreet and the true market value just continues to widen every year. If I am looking at prices, I go to the GPA. Overstreet does not even enter my mind. I have heard the explanations, but none of them make any logic to me, as to why a PRICE guide would be so far off from the reality of pricing. Having a little experinece in real estate, I know if anyone tried to price homes like that, they would be a laughing stock of their area. Or if a guide came out every year of average stock prices, and they were 4-10 times lower then what the stocks actually sold for during the year? Or imagine if someone offered you Overstreet prices to purchase your collection?
You are comparing OS to the GPA. They are two totally different tools. I hear this all the time, how values are different. GPA is for slabs, period. OS is for raw books. In a perfect world they would be the same thing, but they are not.

If a dealer has a VF raw book for sale at $X, do you still consult GPA for pricing? If you do why?

I believe it just depends on what particular niche of the market that your are trying to look at. If you go through the market reports, you'll see that half of the dealers are claiming that Overstreet is indeed out of touch with the real market because the prices are simply far too high. Talking with my LCS owner who has the largest store in the city and been in business for over 30 years, he definitely states that prices in OS are too high, except for a small portion that needs to be broken out and raised significantly.

When you say that prices are too low in the guide, I believe you are really referring to the high end uber HG less than 2% of the collectible market that Overstreet is not even trying to valuate because prices are just too volatile for that segment of the market. I am sure that the majority of collectors would be estatic if someone were to offer them Overstreet prices for their low and mid grade SA and/or BA books. This is what by far the largest majority of the back issue market is made up of, not necessarily the much more high profile top of census books that you see on CLink, Pedigree, or Heritage.

I would certainly agree with you that prices on a very small segment of the market are indeed undervalued right now. This is a very small segment, however, and limited more to such areas as some HTF GA books. Especially when some of these books are able to consistently show strength across all condition levels as evident by raw books or even slabbed restored copies selling for multiples of guide every time they come to market. These are the books that seriously needs to be jacked up in the guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have heard the explanations, but none of them make any logic to me, as to why a PRICE guide would be so far off from the reality of pricing. Having a little experinece in real estate, I know if anyone tried to price homes like that, they would be a laughing stock of their area. Or if a guide came out every year of average stock prices, and they were 4-10 times lower then what the stocks actually sold for during the year? Or imagine if someone offered you Overstreet prices to purchase your collection?

I go to a large convention once or twice a year but I do most of my buying and selling on Ebay. The books I mostly buy (late silver and bronze age - upper mid range area) are usually priced fairly close to OS at the cons, but that doesn't mean they will sell. Ebay is another story. Not counting the occasional exception, I am usually quite pleased with the prices I pay and quite disappointed with the prices I receive when I sell. Just way below the guide. Yes, when buying raw on Ebay, Overstreet is so out of touch that's it's a joke. And in my opinion, Ebay prices should be considered when valuating prices in the guide. I may be wrong, but my guess is that more comics are sold annually on Ebay than all conventions combined. Even if that's not true, Ebay does have a huge impact on the market. With that said, I do still use Overstrret as a guide when trying to determine how much a book will go for on Ebay. Usually that's about 40-50% of what the guide says, and even that is only if there is a market for the book. Often no sales will even take place at 25% guide.