• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joining the "full" collector's society...seems like a no-brainer

37 posts in this topic

I wonder if they will think it odd if i sign up my blender...Hamilton Beech.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Heck I still get calls for Sunh from back when he used to be a member of Columbia House... smile.gif

Whenever they call I just turn up the international channel real loud so they can hear a weather report in Cantonese... tongue.gif

Lousy coinee... mad.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Everybody knows you don't get five comic submissions...

But who listens to me... I did register in the name of my toaster oven...

"Why yes, there is a Sunh Beem who lives here but he's not here right now would you like to leave a message?"

It was only 5 standards for a very short while.

damn rookie!

makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Lousy coinee... mad.gif

HATER!!!!

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Don't make (me) start pulling out my copies of TOS 49!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.giflove-smiley-081.giflove-smiley-081.giflove-smiley-081.giflove-smiley-081.gif

you make copies of TOS 49? 893whatthe.gifWOW! you've got a step ahead of comic-keys since he only colour touches and trims his comics. 27_laughing.gif

Four little smilies getting their freak on and you're looking for the missing "me"... Hmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know you're not planning on using your membership for coins... 893frustrated.gif

Lousy coinee... mad.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Everybody knows you don't get five comic submissions...

But who listens to me... I did register in the name of my toaster oven...

"Why yes, there is a Sunh Beem who lives here but he's not here right now would you like to leave a message?"

It was only 5 standards for a very short while.

damn rookie!

makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

You used to get all three kinds... you could get 3 comics AND 5 cards AND 5 coins...

Now they make you pick... frown.gif

you are correct about the other coupons, but they don't make you pick. if i did, as previoulsy stated i'd rather have 5 standard instead of 3 express. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The current benefit page says you have to choose...

But given a choice I would take 5 standard comic as well...

I think the reason they do Express is so that people get that first submission back quickly and have a CGC book in their hands so they can see how cool it is, in hopes they will send in more. Why give away Standard or Economy and force people to wait so long to get their stuff back?... Better to give them immediate feedback so they get hooked...

Sorry to get back on topic tongue.gifI got 5 standard submisions instead of the 3 express.. I guess when I renewed for a little period of time they were giving 5 standards... that was their policy. I haven't sent in my books yet, but I would rather send in 2 extra and wait 2 extra weeks.

Let's say I do join for those three submissions. I know I'm going to send in my extra-nice Daredevil 131. But for my other two submissions, should I go with a higher priced book in lower grade (like a Fantastic Four #4 in G/VG) or a lower priced book in higher grade (like a Detective 475 in the 9.x range)? Or should I send in a mid-range key like Green Lantern 76 in Fine as opposed to a high grade non-key?

Opinions?

Let's say I do join for those three submissions. I know I'm going to send in my extra-nice Daredevil 131. But for my other two submissions, should I go with a higher priced book in lower grade (like a Fantastic Four #4 in G/VG) or a lower priced book in higher grade (like a Detective 475 in the 9.x range)? Or should I send in a mid-range key like Green Lantern 76 in Fine as opposed to a high grade non-key?

Opinions?

Depends on if you plan to sell the books as soon as you get them back. If you do, then you could certainly go with the more expensive stuff. I would avoid slabbing anything that will grade between 5.5 and 8.0 unless it's a significant key. And I wouldn't slab anything that would grade lower than 5.5 unless the restoration check is important. GL76 in Fine will sell better raw than it will slabbed, that's just the nature of the market right now.

But in general, I would use the free submissions on books that would be more expensive (in time and money) to slab normally. Don't bother sending any modern, obviously, that would be a waste. I'd lean towards whichever books you think have a decent shot at 9.4 or better. Even if one comes back 9.6 and the others come back 9.0, the 9.6 will more than make up for it...

I think you could send the Daredevil 131 under the "Modern" tier, which costs only $16. Those other books sound like they'd fit under "Standard," which would be $29 apiece. That means it'd be cheaper to pay for that directly and not use the "Express" coupons that come with the collector's society joining.