• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Chris Bachalo gone up this much???

9 posts in this topic

Maybe. I tried buying a cover for a European Fanzine from Chris a few months back and he and I thought we could maybe work something out in the 3k range but he ended up getting an offer over 5k.

Remember this is for a fanzine and not a mainstream comic! Although I personally think it was really some of his best work and featured the classic X-Men on it so that may have contributed a little to it. But Jeez.

Speaking to Tim Townsend when I was trying to place a value on this cover, Tim seemed to think 4-6k was a decent range for a mainstream X-Men cover.

I think Chris was one of the co-creators of Gen X so that may add some intrinsic value to this particular page as well?

Speaking as the resident Bachalo nut insane.gif :

If I had that in my collection and was looking to sell it, I'd put a price tag of about 1K on it. (But that would be high-balling). It's been on eBay with that BIN for a more than a year now. If you were to list it with a no reserve auction, I'd guess it would go for about $500-800.

Chris' X-Men work can get pricey (current panel pages go for 200-400 and covers are a couple to a few thousand). This splash is from Generation X, the X-Men spinoff CB co-created and the prices tend to be a bit cheaper. I own several pieces from this title by CB (most of which I'd say are nicer than this one - but that's just me) and I can tell you none of them cost me $1200. Hell, the Donnelly's have several pieces (including splashes) from Generation X #1 for sale and none of them are priced this high (and they aren't moving either).

I think the price is wishful thinking.

Always looking for (reasonably priced) Generation X art!

Certain Bachalo stuff goes for alot. I remember his death pages going for extremely high prices. X-men and cap pages can be pricey aswell. I wouldn't figure this pricey. But Bachalo has a loyal legion of fans. I remember when He was at Wondercon in 2006. I flew there specifically to me him and Grant Morrison. His line was always a minimum of 20 people deep.

Plus Chris is somewhat odd. He would only do commissions if you were willing to stand in line and wait. You could not be put on a list. He wouldn't take request home either.

I will probably never be able to own a Bachalo as I want either a page from Death or one of his New X-men/X-men covers.

I will probably never be able to own a Bachalo as I want either a page from Death or one of his New X-men/X-men covers.

A good Death page and a X-Men cover ... yeah, that's pretty much the top tier of prices for Chris' work. But not totally unrealistic prices ... good luck! grin.gif

Well I was thinking of 500 to 5000. somewhere in that range with 500 being the low and 5000 being the high. So I can afford the low if I don't buy anything else that month and the high would require some major savings. as I only have about a 500 amonth budget for comics. I usually always go over though. Thank god heritage and CGC give alittle leway in paying your bills. otherwise I would be in trouble.

Yep..put me in the looking for a Bachalo category too. My favorite stuff is anything inked by Tim Townsend. It's not that specific, so you'd think I't'd be easy, but it's been a real challenge. Good luck to you...and me..and everyone, why not.

By the way guys, is it me, or have all X-men pages gone up significantly? The Byrne/Austin stuff seems to have gone from about $2 - $2.5K per page to about $4K (if recent auctions are any indication) in less than a year.

So maybe it is not just Bachalo (whose stuff is just so fresh and exciting). What is a Silvestri page worth? After going on his site, I'm looking at a 1/2 page Wolverine splash from his New X-men run with Grant Morrison, but am not compelled at the asking (about $750.00).

Artemaria - yes prices have been going up (even pages that are not hidden away in collections...heh little KK joke there).

Vintage Silvestri X-Men pages are very hard to come by. I would say depending on the page...Silvestri art ranges from 250-1000. Yes that is a wide range but the upper price range is reserved for Splash & DPS's.

Another X-Men artist that prices have gone up is Dave Cockrum. And since a lot of us have fond memories of his X-Men run...pages are at a premium...and scarce to boot.

And as for Bachalo...I knew I should have bought stuff from him early on...he used to visit the same comic shop I went to....oh well.

-Hart