• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading and Pricing..

15 posts in this topic

I have a few questions which I think most of you guys will be able to address, and would appreciate any feedback.

Overstreet lists prices for books in grades 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0 etc...how does one go about pricing books which fall between these grades? Suppose I have an ASM # 3 in 6.5. The latest OS guide prices a 6.0 at $600, while an 8.0 is $1750. Is there a generally accepted way to calculate a price for this book in this grade? And are these prices current (they don't seem to be)? Is there an accepted guide with book prices which is published on a more frequent basis than OS?

And thank you for speaking very slowly.

Thanks,

Ben

Technically,

$1,750 - $600= $1,150 x 1/4 (0.5 divided by the pt spread 2.0 between fn to vf) = $287.50.

Add back to base fn valuation of $600 + $287 = $887. Always round down.

Clear as mud. Then use a reduction multiplier X factor since the price curve accelerates from fn to vf to nm to mt. Define the X factor?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Then reduce for date/name/store stamps whether on front or back cover. Reduce for lack of proper vertical printing spine alignment. Reduce for front cover corner crease vs back cover corner crease. Reduce for tan pgs. Reduce for Marvel chipping or pre-Marvel chips/chunks. 893frustrated.gif

Well, I created a spreadsheet that automatically calculates pricing based on you plugging in "Good/VG/Fine/VF/NM" pricing.

I have including Overstreet Pricing for Archie Comics 1-10. Hope you have Excel! All formulas included (just delete the data), and let me know if you need it in another format.

Go here to grab the spreadsheet! Be sure to right click, save file as:

Pricing Spreadsheet

Guaranteed 100 percent virus free!

What most people do is to use linear interpolation. Linear interpolation is obviously not the best way to do it, because the price does not increase linearly with increasing grade.

There are an infinite number of mathematical functions that can be used to interpolate. If I remember correctly, the preferred way to interpolate in cases like this is to use splines. Probably any simple quadratic or cubic polynomial would yield good results, as would an exponential function. It would be interesting to see the shape of a price vs. grade function.

Also, as most of us know, guide prices are off. They tend to be too low for high-grade books, and too high for low-grade books. With the advent of widespread trading on the internet, the challenge for Overstreet will be to wisely use this information to revise guide prices. Its an interesting situation, as the market determines guide (theoretically), but in practice the guide strongly affects market prices.

dad - shhh! you're giving our mathematical secrets away!

Another way to do it would be to draw a simple graph. The x axis be the grades, have the y axis be the value. then, connect the dots. if you did the graph by hand, approximate what the price would be by looking at your current grade and its intersection with your line, curve, etc.

You could also use a computer to perform some statistical tricks but that might be overkill.

Stynxno

What's wrong with my spreadsheet, at least up to the NM range? If he's wanting Overstreet pricing, that will work fine. Dad, I usually agree with everything you say on here, but I don't think you can say "We all know guide prices are too high for low graded books".

Look up a Pep #22, Archie 1 in VG. I'll buy every unrestored copy you can find in those prices.

Well, I created a spreadsheet that automatically calculates pricing based on you plugging in "Good/VG/Fine/VF/NM" pricing.

I have including Overstreet Pricing for Archie Comics 1-10. Hope you have Excel! All formulas included (just delete the data), and let me know if you need it in another format.

Go here to grab the spreadsheet! Be sure to right click, save file as:

Pricing Spreadsheet

Guaranteed 100 percent virus free!

Shield, I don't suppose you have a version of this for Microsoft Works?...lol

You guys are really serious about this , aren't you??...

laugh.gif

What format do you need? Give me a compatible file extension.

I'd like to say I know what you're talking about, but I have no clue. I am computer illiterate (among other things).. I have Excel in the office, so I can try to open it up there. Thanks alot