• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesn't this page have word balloons?

8 posts in this topic

It's also possible the word balloons were simply removed. There are collectors who feel that word balloons clutter the page and only prefer to see the art. I've seen a lot pages where the word balloons were lifted off. Not how I like it, but to each his own.

I owned a page from issue 132 with no word balloons. I had Tom Orzechowski recreate the balloons on an overlay. When I asked him why they weren't on the original he told me that during that period of the X-men run, Byrne and Austin would often run close to deadline. Art from Byrne would be made into a stat and sent to Tom for lettering while the original pencils went to Terry for the inking. The lettering would then be added to the final art as an overlay just before production.

Hope that helps.

S

I thought this was funny when I saw it. A quick search of CAF show 2 pages from the same issue without word ballons so the explanation that Spider9698 gave is plausible if not the correct answer itself.

The one page in CAF with word balloons from this issue is a recreation so don't confuse that.