• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is an interesting article

16 posts in this topic

Very good reading. Makes a person wonder why " restoration " is such a bad word in this hobby. You can restore a painting or a car , a piece of furniture , jewellery etc. to increase its' value, but a comic book, Oh No... now it's a piece of !!

Where have we gone wrong ?

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Very good reading. Makes a person wonder why " restoration " is such a bad word in this hobby. You can restore a painting or a car , a piece of furniture , jewellery etc. to increase its' value, but a comic book, Oh No... now it's a piece of !!

A friend of mine deals in furniture, and "restoration" seems to lessen the perceived value...

Think about it. Would you rather pay big $$$ for a restored car, or an original that has been preserved in immaculate condition?

A friend of mine deals in furniture, and "restoration" seems to lessen the perceived value...

Think about it. Would you rather pay big $$$ for a restored car, or an original that has been preserved in immaculate condition?

No question restoration will lessen perceived value, but it is still accepted. It is the perception of restoration that is so different in comics.

No question restoration will lessen perceived value, but it is still accepted. It is the perception of restoration that is so different in comics.

Undisclosed resto is a killer. Alot of money lost over the years......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It can do more than alter the "perceived" value, it can absolutely slaughter the real value. If you refinish a piece, you're cutting off 70%-90% of the value. One of the key factors in valuing furniture is the presence of the original finish/ paint.

Yes, it was nice to have some comic relief on a Saturday morning tongue.gif

(I'm referring particularly to the last 3 paragraphs)

Gene

Personally, I love reading articles like this how the art of restoration has come and gone in and out of favor in the hobby. Have you seen the picture of the detective 27 that a rat ate the spine!!! What a f*cking insufficiently_thoughtful_person to leave unarguably one of the top 3 comics of the GA (and really of all time IMO) as food for some vermin!!!! Can you say !!!! Stuff like that really makes me mad. If you can't take care of your possessions you don't deserve to have them.

DAM

Observations:

1) In the Title he refers to CGC as CCG. He might want to use a color touch to fix that.

2) In the late 70's and early 80's there were convention with many dealers. Don't let people make you believe that conventions, comic book stores and higher comic prices started in the early 90's. They did not. Books like GS X-Men #1 and X-Men #94 were hot books just three or four years after their release. Yes, you only had to pay $30 for a nice copy but that was still a huge return.

3) Quite simply, a restored book SHOULD ONLY BE WORTH, the estimated grade before restoration plus the cost of restoration. Why should it add value?

If I buy a Good book for $100 (which is market value) and spend $300 to restore it, at the most it should be $400. Anybody else could do the same thing.

4) Bad grading didn't start with eBay, nor did scams. I bought many of overgraded books from known and unknown dealers in the early 1990's. And in one case, a person took three months before I got my books. Most were suppose to be VF/NM (or better) and I got a bunch of VG's. I almost sure, this person sold a bunch of non-existent books, got the money and then went to several stores and bought copies of the books in low grade. Overgrading and scams are part of the hobby.