• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help -Notebooks- Off topic

10 posts in this topic

I need to buy a notebook quick.

I'm searching eBay now and will be all night.

My PC went crazy on me this afternoon and my desktop (WIN XP Home) wouldn't load. I used the ctrl/alt/delete method to open my applacations and got on-line and suddenly my desktop re-appeared with about 6 messages informing me of a major errors/faults.

I think I'll need to take it into the shop soon and I have no back-up way to get on-line right now. My eBay auctions end tomorrow and I really need to be able to get at my mailbox and everything.

I plan to stay logged onto my desktop until I can get a notebook in case I can't get back into my desktop. I was planning on getting a notebook in case of just such a thing happening, but now it is a right away/A #1 thing .

Does anyone know a good eBay seller for them?

I checked the local stores and the cheapest they had was like $800! 893whatthe.gif

I was hoping to spend more like 250-350...

Referished is OK with me, even used as long as it's in good shape.

CD-RW is needed but most other luxuries I can live without.

Any help appreciated!

I'll check back after I search eBay some more... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

==========================================================

Sorry for posting in the Comic section but this is the only area I've posted in to date.

If this thread needs to be moved please PM as to where it is so I can find it when I return.

My PC went crazy on me this afternoon and my desktop (WIN XP Home) wouldn't load. I used the ctrl/alt/delete method to open my applacations and got on-line and suddenly my desktop re-appeared with about 6 messages informing me of a major errors/faults.

Maybe your PC was infected by a virus?

If you don't have an antivirus program, you should get one immediately.

(there are evaluation versions available for most programs. This for example )

A couple of quick things; try to write down some of these error messages. Most error messages include an error number. Seeing that you are using MS Windows XP, you can reference these errors at Microsofts knowledge base:

Microsoft Knowledge Base

Next thing is to do a virus scan. If you don't already have a virus detection software, go to Trend Micro's site:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Hit the " Scan Now " link and follow the prompts.

You can PM me or post your responses here (probably better as I will be leaving in a few hours, and won't be returning until late evening Sunday). There are some savvy members in this forum that might be able to resolve your matter. If all else fails, make sure to check your PM as I sent one to you a little while ago.

Best of Luck

Thanks...

McAfee protects me. grin.gif

I'll do a virus check in a few minutes.

I didn't think of that.

I've downloaded zero programs from the internet for months and only installed AOL 8.0plus in the last week. No other installations of any other programs in a month. I've only copy/pasted a few .jpgs of comic covers and a few other pics to my desktop. I haven't been busy at all with my PC lately except for eBay and posting messages...

I was planning to buy a laptop/notebook anyway but with today's trouble I just needed one fast in case my PC needed to be taken in the shop next week.

I dread the thought of being in e-darkness.

I've been searching eBay and I guess CD-RW is out for under $500.

But I've got my eye on one or two for $300-$350.

I just missed what looked like a nice one by 15 mins...

I checked the site http://www.usedlaptopsonline.com/ and they look ok except that none of theirs comes with an operating system.

Has anyone bought from this seller?

His feedback seems fairly good.

modnar314

Feedback

He has 3 old P 2s that will probably go around 200-250 in 2 days.

I might try to get one of them.

And yes I'll try to avoid a panic buy! flamed.gifmakepoint.gif

If you decide to upgrade from the refurbished stuff.... tongue.gif

I have a barely used Toshiba Satellite A10 series (1 week old)

With V.92 modem, 10/100 Ethernet and up to 3hrs.² battery time, the Satellite A10 Series is great for business users on a budget. Choice of Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor¹ 2.20GHz - M or Intel® Celeron® Processor¹ 2.00GHz, DVD/CD-RW, memory expandable to 1GB, and Microsoft® Windows XP Professional complete the platform. Available with Wi-Fi (802.11b).

Ideal For

Administrators

Account coordinators

Educators

Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor¹ 2.20GHz - M

Microsoft® Windows XP Professional

15" XGA display* (1024 x 768)

Intel® 852GM integrated graphics controller w/32MB internal shared video memory

DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive

40GB¹ hard drive

Office XP Pro Unlimited Storage A10-S177 (Office XP Pro)

Complete this system with Microsoft® Office XP Pro w/Publisher®! (Includes Microsoft Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook® 2002, Publisher® 2002, PowerPoint 2002 and Access 2002.)

$1,669.00 - retail

yours for $1300 with shipping insured smile.gif