• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF is the deal with Magneto?

21 posts in this topic

Ok,

I used to collect X-Men comics, a long time ago. I sold my collection, and am just getting back into comics recently (ASM's are my main priority now though).

The last few issues of X-Men i got, had the resolution to the Magneto/Joseph stuff, and had him using the machine to amplify his powers, yada yada yada, and getting to take over Genosha.

Thats the last I heard of him, of any comic stuff for that matter. I got a little curious today and tried to look around on the web, and wow. House of M, Magneto becoming basically a good guy, fake Magneto's, fake Magneto's being decapitated, Xorn, begging the Avengers to kill him once his powers are restored........wtf are they thinking ( I am probably leaving out a bunch of stuff here)

Magneto is THE enemy of the X-Men, why do they have to keep messing with him?

Also, why does he always lose his powers whenever he tries anything? I just don't understand what they are doing with the character.

Magneto is by far, my favorite character in the Marvel universe, and in my opinion, the most interesting.

Is he dead now, is he alive, can anyone help me out? Also, can anyone direct me to the issues I need to pick up to get caught up from the conclusion of the Magneto/Joseph fiasco to date?

Mags is alive and well. I believe the last time he was seen was when he took his daughter Wanda away from custody of the Avengers at the conclusion to the House of M.

Here is the wikipedia article on Mags: ---> LINK

Mags is alive and well. I believe the last time he was seen was when he took his daughter Wanda away from custody of the Avengers at the conclusion to the House of M.

Here is the wikipedia article on Mags: ---> LINK

Thanks for the link! Do you know any of the issues I need to pick up, to get caught up, off hand?

Thanks again!

I thought he exploded in the helicopter in New Avengers during that whole weird Xorn thing.

He did. That's the last we saw of him.

Xorn storyline happened before the New Avengers were formed.

I thought he exploded in the helicopter in New Avengers during that whole weird Xorn thing.

Correct. But I thought he came back and possessed Magneto. There's something about how the writer (I think Bendis) wanted to end Xorn once and for all in the issue where Mags blows up. I think that is when I stopped reading New Avengers. heh.

Correct. But I thought he came back and possessed Magneto. There's something about how the writer (I think Bendis) wanted to end Xorn once and for all in the issue where Mags blows up. I think that is when I stopped reading New Avengers. heh.

The last appearance I can remember of Mags was when he takes his daughter at the end of House of M. I think there was a brief appearance when some heroes went to go so see Wanda for something. I don't think he has been a major player since then.

I never really thought Magneto was handled right from day one. confused-smiley-013.gif

They should have made him tougher, and either kill Wolverine or Colossus, and since Wolverine is $$$ ... wink.gif

ummm, yeah. I have no clue whats going on, anyone know what issues I need to pick up to get up to date, from the Joseph stuff?
I have no idea about the Joseph storyline. I would suggest the New X-men Omnibus, as that has the whole Xorn storyline in it.

ummm, yeah. I have no clue whats going on, anyone know what issues I need to pick up to get up to date, from the Joseph stuff?
There really should be a service for people that return to the hobby. A cliff notes database.

I stopped reading spiderman when the parents of Peter supposedly showed up, so I would be lost trying to return.

No, the Xorn storyline continued right after House Of M in New Avengers #21. Xorn takes over a new Mutant. The new mutant then kills all of Alpha Flight except Sasquatch and then attempts to take over Magneto. The helicopter he is in then explodes.

No, the Xorn storyline continued right after House Of M in New Avengers #21. Xorn takes over a new Mutant. The new mutant then kills all of Alpha Flight except Sasquatch and then attempts to take over Magneto. The helicopter he is in then explodes.

Okay, you are getting your stories mixed up a bit.

In House of M #7, Scarlet Witch speaks the phrase, "No More Mutants". Suddenly, hundreds of thousands of mutants find themselves human, including Magneto and Quicksilver. In New Avengers the collective power signatures of the mutants arrive in North Pole, Alaska and with a mutant postal worker, Michael Pointer. Disoriented, he enters Canada and, wielding the power of fifty mutants, kills the superhero team Alpha Flight. Spider-Man finds that its energy signatures match up with the depowered mutants. On Genosha, the Collective repowers Magneto, who recognizes the intelligence controlling it as "Xorn." Xorn explains that he took the image of Magneto, because he knew mutants would follow him, and that they needed the real Magneto again. Iron Man, Ms. Marvel and the Sentry combine their powers and send the Collective/Xorn into the sun; Michael is separated from the Collective. However, Pointer still has access to the powers of the Collective, and, as of the end of the Civil War miniseries, is coerced into joining the newly formed Omega Flight, using a suit designed to harness his powers.

Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada in a 2006 Newsarama interview reiterated the Shen Xorn/Kuan-Yin Xorn explanation, but added that "because Xorn's powers were psychokinetic, and his personality was so strong, it basically remained an almost disembodied sentient thing among the big ball of mutant energy. When that energy got sucked down to Earth by Michael and all absorbed by him, Xorn was the dominant personality in the mix, and that's what drove him towards Genosha and Magneto." This remains the official explanation of the Xorn character and its relationship to Magneto.

Later that same year, when asked about Xorn's identity at the 2006 San Diego Comic Con Wildstorm Comics panel, Grant Morrison made clear his original intent for the character, stating "He was Magneto from the very beginning – it was always Magneto."