• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

...I'm going to reread the Wolverine mini-series as well. When that series came out, I thought it was truly amazing. Claremont and Miller really outdid themselves on those books..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

I did that too... forgot to mention it.

My experience was bascially the same on that series... loved it

...Dark Knight Returns: I liked it the second time around, but most of it's punch came from Miller's reinvention which is now old hat.

That's a good analysis... I felt similarly, but to a lesser degree. I remember being in awe of nearly every panel when I first read it, but was accustomed to it the 2nd time. I paid more attention to, and got more out of the story this time... BUT, as I mentioned earlier ...the "new Robin" did not work for me as much this time around.

...Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76-85 The stories are somewhat more difficult to read now, as they seem dated and a little hokey... but the issues are enormous fun to read and to look at and deal with issues still relevant in today's culture and society.

Hey, good idea. I'm not sure if i even read those all. I'm sure I didn't in order if I did at all. Good suggestion.

...Having said that, these books do not read as well as Moore's Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Killing Joke, MM, V for Vendetta etc. His writing really transends the genre. The artist almost doesn't matter here because I think many could tell Moore's story very well. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy Totleben, Gibbons, Leach etc all worked on those books. But it really is Moore's ideas, intricate scripts & dialogue that keep these books fresh. They hold up very well to today's standards and will still be great reads 50 years from now. Same goes for Miller's stuff. Full credit has to go to Karen Berger & Jim Shooter for letting these two guys break the mold and not just allowing two mediocre books (Swampy & Daredevil) to continue floundering.

I have to agree... I love Moore as much as Miller. I don't remember "V for Vendetta" at all... even though I know i read them. I reaquired the series in a collection buy... was it really that good? Should I re-read them?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i have recently reread year one, and now i think its far better than darknight! I was really impressed with this.

Amazing Spider-man #229-270 (i'll keep going to 289) - reminds me why i loved these as a kid, especially the hobgoblin issues, man they are still fun. I was suprised to see how much i like peter david's funnier stories like spidey in the suburbs. The juggernaut 2 parter was great too. I can feel my excitement winding down though as i think the book started to tank right about where i am. 269& 270 were fun, but after that....we'll see...

Uncanny X-men i think was really good again during paul smith & the brood & early Romita JR 162-185, and may be my favorite era after Byrne.

Wow, reread twisted tales recently, and MAN Bruce Jones was cooking his brain overtime on those. YIKES! He has some serious issues with sex....

Early Orlando Era House of Mystery & Witching hour are still GREAT, HOS & Unexpected a little less so it seems, though there is a KILLER Suydam story in HOS #131 which i am not sure how it got past the code...

Steranko's masterpiece in Tower of Shadows #1 still blows me away

70's Hulk are like taking bad medicine, or passing a car crash and just havng to look...

I really want to reread Moore's swamp things, i Loved those back in the day, Watchmen reads better than Ever, & V for Vendetta is a knockout, maybe even better than Watchmen. Damm that nutty sorcerer can write!

And Finally I can not get enough Jonah Hex, that is some of DC's finest 70's storytelling. More people should try this one!!!

I still have a fondness for 70's Trimpe Hulks unlike a few here. They remind me of the era... a simpler time with fun comics and a misunderstood Hulk I still like.

OK then "V for vendetta" is on the "Re-Read" schedule.

Maybe we should form a "Re-Read" club (like Oprah's book club)..all agree to read a certain run and then compare notes? or is that way to "geeeky"

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I still love the 160's run of Hulk the best, a lot of past/present/future plot threads weave their way thru this run. Betty blames Hulk for the death of her husband...the fateful rescue mission...the Gremlin...Harpy...Bi-beast...culminating in 170, one of my favorite Hulk stories where Betty and Hulk "make up", with "make up"!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I remember that issue/cover with the Bi-Beast as much as any! The Harpie too. I don't remember how involved I was in the plot... i did read them though... but I was just absorbed with "Hulk's World" and the illustrations back then.

Bottle of Coke, "7-up" Candy bar (or Marathon bar) and a handful of 20¢ comics... it doesn't get much better than that.

i love those books too, but out of fondness. The cover to 170 kills me! The easter egg headed monster!!! I love that trimpe era, i just think they are very clunky, but thats part of the appeal to me. The #168 with nude betty walking around in a trance, its just so great!

If drbaner can chime in about the Hulk then I can certainly speak up for GL. I would highly recommend the Neal Adams / Giordano / Denny O'Neil GL books (76 to 89). Either as a re-read, or as a new read if you have not already experienced them, you should definately check them out.

If you can read just the two drug issues (85 & 86) it would be worth it. I am still surprised everytime that I read the story that it passed the comics code. Its got drugs galore, shows Speedy shooting up, has one junkie overdose and die, has several racial slurs, has GA slapping around his own "ward", and even has GL and GA force fed drugs and take a little "trip."

The dialogue is a little dated on the entire run, but Denny O'Neils story telling holds up very well, and of course Adams and Giordano artwork is the usual top shelf stuff. Lets not forget that you also get a small taste of Wrightson inks in 82 (1 pg) and a full on Wrightson art assist in 84 (22 pgs).

Just my .02, then again I may be a little biased towards the GL stuff.

grin.gif

#169 has a great bi-beast cover with a white background, is that it? great cover on that too. I love the adams run on GL, i just don't have them anymore, so i can't re-read them frown.gif

i am trying to fid a true VF 76 at a reasonable price, and if i do, i'll start picking up the rest. Its on my list!

They did make a trade of the stories, but as far as I know it is out of print. The last copy that I saw was at a used books web site (www.alibris.com which is part of the Amazon.com network of sellers) and it is going for $44. I am sorry to say that I do not own a copy of the trade paperback, if I did I would definately loan it out. I do have reader copies of the drug issues and a few other assorted issues from the run that I would be more than willing to send your way. If you are interested PM me. I am going to the PO tomorow and you can be enjoying them by the weekend.

grin.gif

got a trade of that you can loan a brother? Did they even make one?

I've seen the trade paperback, but I would recommend against buying it - it's a scaled down version of the originals if I remember correctly. A great alternative is the mini-series reprints on thicker paper stock (I think its 7 issues?) that came out in the early 80s. I think you can score a set on eBay for pretty cheap, and it's got extra articles too (they also reprinted the Adams Deadman stuff with some stunning new covers around the same time). I remember when they put these out, and originals took a dive in the price guide. Too bad I was busy buying my B&W independent trash tongue.gif

I remember when I was younger, I really liked Kiby's Eternals run. I recently sold my run, and when I did, I flipped though them - not as good as I remember insane.gif

One 3 issue story arc that I still pull out an enjoy is Avengers 164-166 (Shooter/Byrne). Great stuff!

They did make a trade of the stories, but as far as I know it is out of print. The last copy that I saw was at a used books web site (www.alibris.com which is part of the Amazon.com network of sellers) and it is going for $44. I am sorry to say that I do not own a copy of the trade paperback, if I did I would definately loan it out. I do have reader copies of the drug issues and a few other assorted issues from the run that I would be more than willing to send your way. If you are interested PM me. I am going to the PO tomorow and you can be enjoying them by the weekend.

grin.gif

Thanks very much for the offer.... I'll hold off for now in hopes of grabbing the entire run

Right Bruce...169 is the Bi-Beast cover (white cover, Bi-beast bearing down on a changing Hulk/Banner), whereas 170 has the Hulk fighting a bunch of monters saving Betty from falling into a Volcano. Not much more than a filler issue, but not without controversy - at the end of 169 a "naked" Harpy/Betty had just reverted back into human form before the Bi-beasts island in the sky destructed, but in the splash to 170 she was wearing rags as they were plummeting towards earth.

#169 has a great bi-beast cover with a white background, is that it? great cover on that too. I love the adams run on GL, i just don't have them anymore, so i can't re-read them frown.gif

i am trying to fid a true VF 76 at a reasonable price, and if i do, i'll start picking up the rest. Its on my list!

I think so.. I'm waiting for Mike to post a scan for me?? .. and "nekid" Betty too??