• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

Don't you read any of my threads...?
Try not to but it's like a car wreck. You can't look away because of the inevitable nonsense. BTW...why not use some terms such as centering, registration,.....etc instead of your poorly conceived QP? tongue.gif

Try not to but it's like a car wreck. You can't look away because of the inevitable nonsense. BTW...why not use some terms such as centering, registration,.....etc instead of your poorly conceived QP? tongue.gif

893blahblah.gif

893blahblah.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

There's a series I had forgotten about that I don't think was mentioned here. The incredibly produced American Flagg by Howard Chaykin with First Comics. The book took American commercialsm to the level of absolute parody (but not in a funny way, for the most part). Chaykin presented a "real world" full of corruption, sex and hypocracy. For most of the run, you don't even know what to think of the series' star.

Let's not forget the hilarious effort by Alan Moore with the infamous "Lust Busters" story line (I think it was issues 21-27). 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great stuff and you can probably pick these books up in the $1 bins. laugh.gif

There's a series I had forgotten about that I don't think was mentioned here. The incredibly produced American Flagg by Howard Chaykin with First Comics. The book took American commercialsm to the level of absolute parody (but not in a funny way, for the most part). Chaykin presented a "real world" full of corruption, sex and hypocracy. For most of the run, you don't even know what to think of the series' star.

Let's not forget the hilarious effort by Alan Moore with the infamous "Lust Busters" story line (I think it was issues 21-27). 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great stuff and you can probably pick these books up in the $1 bins. laugh.gif

YEAH! American Flagg was cool. I have a very intersting personal sidebar about Chaykin around the time he was producing that, buit I'm not sure I should post it.

In the DD Miller run, there was one story that i read as a kid...and it was impressive to re-read it some years later, and discover the grotesque side of human being, portraited on such an impressive way.

The issue of Uncanny CC/Byrne where they go face to face with Proteus also marked me a lot...a being who could manipulate the physical environment...and Byrne's art was fabulous to say the least, specially the facial expressions.

I went back and read some of my Claremont/Byrne/Austin X-Men and I was surprisingly disappointed in them, mostly in the writing. Although the artwork wasn't as great as I remembered it...probably it isn't as good by today's standards with better coloring, etc.

As far as Alan Moore goes, I re-read Watchmen and V For Vendetta recently and they are still just as great as I remembered. Miracleman holds up as well. I never read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing work and you guys are making me want to track it down from all the praise it is getting.

I went back and read some of my Claremont/Byrne/Austin X-Men and I was surprisingly disappointed in them, mostly in the writing. Although the artwork wasn't as great as I remembered it...probably it isn't as good by today's standards with better coloring, etc.

As far as Alan Moore goes, I re-read Watchmen and V For Vendetta recently and they are still just as great as I remembered. Miracleman holds up as well. I never read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing work and you guys are making me want to track it down from all the praise it is getting.

It's simply awesome! Both the art and writing.

I'm gonna read "V for Vendetta" next... I don't remember it at all right now but I'm sure my memory will be refreshed a little once I start. There's a benefit for me with the long gap in-between reading.

grin.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anyone wants to "re-read" V for Vendetta along with me... and try and complete it by next Friday 12th... it might be interesting to have a few people commenting together about their "new" take on the series.

If this proves worthwhile... we could chose a new classic series of "yesteryear" every so often and see where that takes us.

good idea... sucky idea?

confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anyone wants to "re-read" V for Vendetta along with me... and try and complete it by next Friday 12th... it might be interesting to have a few people commenting together about their "new" take on the series.

If this proves worthwhile... we could chose a new classic series of "yesteryear" every so often and see where that takes us.

good idea... sucky idea?

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's the Oprah Comic Book Club 27_laughing.gif

I've been having a blast with some of the BA weird/strange books. Finised the full Spectre Adventure run and am mighty please (praise Greggy for these). Been reading dsome of the Marvel horror stuff like Tower Of Shadows - more fun there! Just closed a Gregsoranian deal for some BA Doc Strange nd Brother Power Strange Tales.

Life is good when you can look back like this nd enjoy.

Well, got Brother Power and Doc Strange and added Man-Thing to the mix. All the books are really nice. Many are better grade than I saw in back issue bins in the early 80's. And it is still a blast re-reading books I haven't read in 20 years, and paying for 25 of them what I would pay for a couple of mid-grade precodes! Greggy did good all right!

confused.gif

WHy are you confused? You sold me 25 beautiful books at an extrememly fair price and you do the single icon " confused.gif" thang! WTH??? Man - next time I praise yu, Greggy, it will be in my own mind, off the boards, never to be seen by anyone here. Dag Nab It!!!!!!!!!!!! 893frustrated.gif

confused.gif

WHy are you confused? You sold me 25 beautiful books at an extrememly fair price and you do the single icon " confused.gif" thang! WTH??? Man - next time I praise yu, Greggy, it will be in my own mind, off the boards, never to be seen by anyone here. Dag Nab It!!!!!!!!!!!! 893frustrated.gif

Relax fool...you are just a surrogate for Scottish until he comes back on the boards. Due to his numerous scew-ups, I gave him a great deal on some raw Green Lantern books. Hell, I even bought his GL 76 CGC 9.2 at his cost which was higher than market at the time.

Sigh...I just feel sorry for the elderly! tongue.gif

Sigh...I just feel sorry for the elderly!

You know, Greggy? You are correct. I am definitely too old to be on these boards. I mean - I will be 53 in December (12/22 for anyone who wants to send a gift). So, in that light, and being shamed by you, this will be my last post.

Let all celebrate Greggy for finally driving Povertyrow not only form the boards but also into a deep depression and feeling of total worthlessness.

Sigh...I just feel sorry for the elderly!

You know, Greggy? You are correct. I am definitely too old to be on these boards. I mean - I will be 53 in December (12/22 for anyone who wants to send a gift). So, in that light, and being shamed by you, this will be my last post.

Let all celebrate Greggy for finally driving Povertyrow not only form the boards but also into a deep depression and feeling of total worthlessness.

Damn drama queen! Turn that hidden frowm upside down. I may sell you more books! cool.gif