• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

Bruce, I'll say it because everyone is probably expecting it from me, but if you haven't read it before (or even if you have) you've got to read MOKF 15-50. Some of the best 70's stuff produced. Stands the test of time remarkably well too, the series reads like many movies still being produced. cool.gif

MOKF is some of the best stuff of the 70s, and I'd extend it even beyond 50... although it got a little hokey by 100, I enjoyed Zeck's extension of the run.

This is a highly underrated book, and it's one of the first I put a run together of.

The art stands the test of time, but the stories are little dated, especially all the "chinaman" references... but the stories are fun.

Hadn't thought of Spidey much... I'd love to read / re-read 97-136 though

Why not make it ASM 96-150?

Thats a classic run and only surpassed by the masters Stan & Steve IMHO.

OK...you talked me into it. I wish there was an easy way to assemble a run like that for reading purposes.

Bruce, I'll say it because everyone is probably expecting it from me, but if you haven't read it before (or even if you have) you've got to read MOKF 15-50. Some of the best 70's stuff produced. Stands the test of time remarkably well too, the series reads like many movies still being produced. cool.gif

I confess I had nearly the whole run too... enjoyed it, but didn't consider it a classic. Maybe I will with adult sensibilities. I do remember searching for and never finding the MOKF Annual #1... the only comic team up of Iron Fist and Shang Chi (unless it happened again in some modern multi-hero series like contest of champions). I could never find it when I was younger, but finally found it after I restarted collecting. It was a letdown though... Iron Fist was more like Wolverine and the issue was not memorable.. I had visions/anticipation that it would be awesome.

Hadn't thought of Spidey much... I'd love to read / re-read 97-136 though

Why not make it ASM 96-150?

Thats a classic run and only surpassed by the masters Stan & Steve IMHO.

OK...you talked me into it. I wish there was an easy way to assemble a run like that for reading purposes.

There is. They are called "Marvel Tales".

Not a bad idea... but I still need to find the complete LG run basically on one purchase and I don't want to spend forever trying to complete it. Maybe I'll make a post in the marketplace only looking for a complete run.

Thanks

Wanna borrow my run? smirk.gif

Thanks for the offer...

Is this a LG run that can be handled? i assume so, but you never know.

I have to consider what the shipping would be 2 ways as opposed to trying to buy the run outright elsewhere.

Let me try that first, but I may take you up on that if I come up empty.

Thanks again...kind of you.

Judge Dredd (Eagle) #18-25 ("Block Mania" and "The Apocalypse War" - the former storyline leads into the latter and is just awesome, awesome stuff)

Airboy (Eclipse) - Much of the revamp was simply excellent. Mature and different.

Jon Sable, Freelance (First) - I liked it as a kid, I like its seriousness and gritty realism even more as an adult. BTW, that's 3 indie titles in a row...who says I'm not an Indie fan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good indies. There was something about JSF that I always liked... not sure what it was in those early issues... well, it'll come back to me. smile.gif

And Airboy, good call.

Here's a cover for POV or other horror fans to appreciate! Just love it when skeletons are flying around piloting planes. smile.gif

airboy17-f.jpg

MOKF is some of the best stuff of the 70s, and I'd extend it even beyond 50... although it got a little hokey by 100, I enjoyed Zeck's extension of the run.

In my view the whole MOKF is great, but the 15-50 run is the definitive one. cool.gif

New Teen Titans - The Judas Contract issues and many of the issues that preceded them were and still are just brilliant stuff

This run from 1-50 is incredible, and has its high points between the Runaways story in 26,27 and the Judas Contract buildup and finally, the finale in issues 42-44. The 'Who Is Donna Troy' story in issue 38 was brilliant as well. Also, for my money, the shock ending in issue #34 will never be topped.

Amazing Spider-man #229-270 (i'll keep going to 289) - reminds me why i loved these as a kid, especially the hobgoblin issues, man they are still fun. I was suprised to see how much i like peter david's funnier stories like spidey in the suburbs. The juggernaut 2 parter was great too. I can feel my excitement winding down though as i think the book started to tank right about where i am. 269& 270 were fun, but after that....we'll see...

The Roger Stern issues from 224 to 251 were great. 224 may be the best Vulture story ever told, 229/230 may be the best Spidey story period, the Hobgoblin intro in 238/239 was terrific, and the 'Kid Who Collected Spider-Man' story will always be remembered.

Currently rereading -

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing - Amazing run but getting a bit bogged down in the later issues.

Miracleman

Crossfire and Blackhawk - I LOVE the Evainer - Spiegle stuff

Grimjack - Fun stuff

Don Rosa Gladstone stuff.

Currently reading (for the first time), FF starting with No. 30...interesting to see the first appearence of Diablo, but the -script and Kirby's art is a little dated (hey, what can I expect, it's the 60s, man!) However, I'm committed to this because I feel like I'm missing something so might as well enjoy it. (Hurry up Galactus!!)

I'd like to read the New Teen Titans after No. 20 (which I have). Never read the Judas Contract but Terminator's one of my favorite all-time characters and you can't beat Perez's artwork.

And also, I'm collecting Spider-Man out of pure love for the character, but does anyone else find the stories hokey after, say, 129?? I mean, Doc Ock marrying Aunt May and then they go and set off a nuclear bomb on an island outside of New York???!?! (Like radioactive fallout and potential tidal waves are no big deal crazy.gif )