• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #181 - How High???

33 posts in this topic

So, how much should I pay for this book raw assuming it's an 8.0? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OS Guide puts it at $700.00USD.

If you are buying it as part of a collection, I'd offer no more than $450. If he brought it to the LCS, he'd be lucky to get $350.

BTW, 181 typically trades at under guide for copies less than 9.0. There are just too many HG copies of this book to drive prices for lesser grade copies.

So, how much should I pay for this book raw assuming it's an 8.0? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OS Guide puts it at $700.00USD.

If you are buying it as part of a collection, I'd offer no more than $450. If he brought it to the LCS, he'd be lucky to get $350.

BTW, 181 typically trades at under guide for copies less than 9.0. There are just too many HG copies of this book to drive prices for lesser grade copies.

I hear you - it's not like HULK #181 is a scarce GA book in terms of availability.

On a side note: VG- and lwoer copies of this book oftne sell at 100-150% of guide from what I have seen.

On a side note: VG- and lwoer copies of this book oftne sell at 100-150% of guide from what I have seen.

This is the curse of midgrade. The demand curve for expensive books is often like an upside down bell curve.

Low Grade: Many copies available but high demand. Price is still within reach of many collectors. Low grade copies may trade for over guide.

Midgrade: Moderate amount of copies available but lower demand. Guide price is high enough that it is out of reach of many collectors who are less grade conscious. Grade isn't high enough to satisfy grade conscious collectors. Trades for under guide.

High grade: Demand outstrips supply. Trades for over guide.

7.5 sumo.gif

9.6? insane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

For once I'd love to see these people with stars in their eyes put their money where their mouths are...

Send it to CGC and tell him that if it comes back 9.2 or higher you'll pay double guide. If it comes back lower than 9.2, you'll pay half guide. devil.gif

7.5 sumo.gif

9.6? insane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

For once I'd love to see these people with stars in their eyes put their money where their mouths are...

Send it to CGC and tell him that if it comes back 9.2 or higher you'll pay double guide. If it comes back lower than 9.2, you'll pay half guide. devil.gif

Well, I told him I'd gladly pay 3/4 guide for that book as part of the collection it if were 9.0 or higher.

I'm still waiting. I just pray he doesn't get 20 or so other books graded too. *sigh* Not because I cannot afford to pay for them, but because I'd rather buy BA & CA books in 8.5 through 9.0 raw and not encapsulated because no one wants to pay full guide for slabbed commons...

Other "highlights" in the collection are a near full run of UNCANNY X-MEN #95-142 (nothing worth slabbing in my opinion), DAREDEVIL #131 x2 (nope to CGC again), DAREDVIL #158 (perhaps worth getting slabbed if 9.0 gets a premium), NEW TEEN TITANS #2 (nope again to CGC), and to a lesser extent DD#181 x6 (nothing worth CGC's time), and WOLVERINE #1 Miller x7.

Sadly, he believes many of the DD #181s and WOLVIE #1s to be NM+++ as well. The WOLVIES ALL have dates written in ink on the back cover and are creased, dinged. *sigh*

I'll keep you all posted - might take months, but I'll let you all know what happens!

This is the curse of midgrade. The demand curve for expensive books is often like an upside down bell curve.

Low Grade: Many copies available but high demand. Price is still within reach of many collectors. Low grade copies may trade for over guide.

Midgrade: Moderate amount of copies available but lower demand. Guide price is high enough that it is out of reach of many collectors who are less grade conscious. Grade isn't high enough to satisfy grade conscious collectors. Trades for under guide.

this is the best way I've ever heard the pricing inequaties described. I wonder if it will right itself as High grade gets higher and higher. Midgrade becomes the "new" highgrade.

Interesting. This analysis, if correct (and I think it is), makes me very happy to be a mid-grade collector. I tend to collect copies that don't have glaring defects that ruin the eye-appeal of the book, but that have enough small defects to bring the price down far below high-grade prices. This strategy has two advantages: 1) I can buy many books rather than a few books, and 2) the books I buy look nice enough to me that I enjoy them.

Interesting. This analysis, if correct (and I think it is), makes me very happy to be a mid-grade collector. I tend to collect copies that don't have glaring defects that ruin the eye-appeal of the book, but that have enough small defects to bring the price down far below high-grade prices. This strategy has two advantages: 1) I can buy many books rather than a few books, and 2) the books I buy look nice enough to me that I enjoy them.

I think mid grade books (at lest keys and semi-keys + cool covers) will eventually attain guide prices once all of the true high grade copies are snatched up by those with deep pockets, who make up the minority of buyers, and all that's left on the market are the VF+ to VF/NM copies.

Just my opinion.

I think mid grade books (at lest keys and semi-keys + cool covers) will eventually attain guide prices once all of the true high grade copies are snatched up by those with deep pockets, who make up the minority of buyers, and all that's left on the market are the VF+ to VF/NM copies.

Just my opinion.

I'm talking about collecting in the range of 5.0-7.0. A 6.0 can often be purchased for a third of a 8.0. When we're talking about key books that I really want, I'll take the 6.0 every time. I guess it's the old quantity vs. quality debate, and I come down in the middle. What you are saying is that there's an added benefit--there's less demand for those books.

this is the best way I've ever heard the pricing inequaties described. I wonder if it will right itself as High grade gets higher and higher. Midgrade becomes the "new" highgrade.

I think so. Once you hit FF 1, Hulk 1, AF 15 territory, the midgrade curse is lifted. Or, if it's a hard-to-find GA book, it doesn't apply.

But for moderately expensive books, I think the theory applies.