• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Generic Paypal/EBAY surcharge question

3 posts in this topic

I see sellers using 2 different Paypal accounts; one is for "Bank" Payments, and the 2nd one is for "Credit Card" Payments.

Now, this is all well and good, but are the sellers allowed to tack a surcharge if they say they'll accept Paypal credit card payments?

Not that this is a comic book auction, but I was looking to purchase this server, from an EBAY "Powerseller"

Linkie Poo

Note in the bottom of the ad:

"Seller's payment instructions:

IMPORTANT!!! I use SEPARATE PAYPAL ACCOUNTS depending on payment type. Please use paypal@ifex.us for *DIRECT* payments (funded by PayPal balance or eCheck). If you _must_ use a credit or debit card, please send your payment to paypalCC@ifex.us (note the "CC" difference in this address; add 3 percent to cover processing fees) . I also accept checks and money orders. Feel free to contact me by phone at 215-244-1440 with any questions. CALL ME ABOUT DELL UPGRADES for this server!"

Now, getting back to comics. I've had auctions pulled by EBAY because I said basically the same thing. EBAY claims it's against the seller's TOS, located here:

EBAY CREDIT CARD SURCHARGE POLICY

So, like a weasel I reported the auction. What's fair is fair. The way I understand the rules, if you say you'll accept Paypal, you can't charge a surcharge no matter the buyer's source of funds, unless it fits into one of Ebay's 3 reasons mentioned in the 2nd link.

Whatcha all think about them apples?

what you did, That's fine. ebay policy does not allow them to charge on top of their end auction price to cover paypal fee.

I actually set up personal and business accts. I prefer to use the one without fees of course. But if there can be no other way ,then I accept credit card, but don't pass the cost onto them.

I believe you're not allowed to "advertise" that you won't accept Paypal via a Credit Card without compensation/surcharge. I don't think there's anyway to prevent the option being privately presented conditional upon reimbursement of the fees.

Plenty of sellers will advertise that they ONLY accept Paypal via Bank Transfers or Balance BUT if you want to use a Credit Card you must contact them first for details. Then they will inform you that they only accept Paypal with CC if you absorb the fees. If you don't agree, then you are instructed to pay via the posted options (usually MO, Cashier's Check, Personal Check, Paypal Bank Funds). I think seller "ejaenter" is one of several that employ that strategy. In my private dealings I do something similar as well. I encourage payment my MO, Cashier's Check, Personal Check or Paypal Bank Funds and present Paypal CC as an option if asked (with fees added on or not depending on the circumstance). As long as the seller is upfront about it, and does not pull that on you "after the fact" (ex: advertises he accepts Paypal and then says "not by CC unless you pay me the fees") then I have no problem with it. If they try that after the fact... I'd scream bloody moidah!!