• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age bound volumes vs individual issues

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

This is my first time posting in two years so please be nice. smile.gif

Recently on Ebay I have purchased a reference copy bound volume for the following comic books: Wonder Woman Comics # 2, Wonder Woman Comics # 4, Wonder Woman Comics # 5, Wonder Woman Comics # 6, All Star Comics # 11, All Star Comics # 12, Comic Cavalcade # 2, Comic Cavalcade # 4, Comic Cavalcade # 5.

These volumes were originally the personal file copies of Lloyd Jacquet, founder of Funnies, Inc., which was established in the late 1930’s.

The condition of the comics are in excellent condition. They exhibit their full cover gloss and have supple off-white pages. A few may have a minor ding or bend on the cover, but any noteworthy flaws will be mentioned: #2-wear along spine due to binding; Wonder Woman Comics # 4-light 1.5” corner crease upper right front cover; Comic Cavalcade # 2-light stress to front cover due to cardboard nature; Comic Cavalcade Comics # 5-light creasing back cover due to cardboard nature. Current Overstreet value on this volume in Fine condition is $6,204

Just wondering what the collectors are in the hobby think about bound volumes? Are the comics they as valuable as if the issues where each seperate? Also does owning a bould volume from someone as important to comics industry as Lloyd Jacquet, increase the bound volume's appeal?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1815395-wonderwoman2.JPG.f218d094bfcebf2b14aeaee9e32ab228.JPG

Congratulations, that must be a wonderful book:)

The problem with bound volumns is, in most cases, the books have been trimmed to fit the binding, and of course the spines are usually destroyed or at least glued to the binding, therefore, it's a little hard to actually call them "fine".

It doesn't bother everyone... Enjoy your purchases:)

Some people actually take apart bound volumes..and try to sell the books individually....

Personally, a bound volume is a cool piece of history...soundsl like a nice book, enjoy it and read it.

Rule of thumb is VG at best after removal, but most have been trimmed, and as stated above, spines are normally shot, so I'd say the Fine valuation is not correct.

It may be one of a kind, so pay what you want, you won't find another.

Personally, a bound volume is a cool piece of history...soundsl like a nice book, enjoy it and read it.

I agree. Much more unique and cooler (imo) than individual comics.