• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the apprentice become the master?

50 posts in this topic

Artemaria,

To answer your first question, it is my opinion that the days of USD$2K Byrne X-Men pages are now in a bygone era. You may probably still see non-action, non-costume Byrne X-Men story development pages at the USD$2.5K to USD$3K level if they come up for sale. However, with Byrne non-X-Men panel pages from the 1970s going over the USD$1K range consistently (Avengers 164-166, Captain America, some Champions pages, Iron Fist, and Marvel Team-Up to name a few), it is unlikely that you will see the X-Men pages going lower since Byrne's most storied run was on this title. I discount his early FF run (prior to FF 232)and Avengers 181-191, for those pages are still affordable for the most part.

To answer your second question, you are now a member of the CAF. Keep scanning the classifieds. You will have to sift through the insanely over-priced items from the Donnellys. You will occasionally see items priced very well. The other option on CAF is to query owners of Byrne X-Men pages that are non-action, non-costume panel pages. Even though the page may be NFS, you can still offer a price. It allows the gallery owner to know that he/she may have a potential buyer should he/she ever decide to sell.

BTW, you have a nice example of a Marshall/Rogers Detective Comics interior panel page.

Best,

PRC 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

PRC -

Thanks very much for your excellent advice and for your kind words about my Marshall Rogers page.

I hope my wife doesn't notice that I am diverting money from the kid's college account to get the Byrne X-men page. . . . .

- A

Artemaria,

I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your posts. You write well, make excellent point and observations and are able to listen to other views. I am surprised that you have collected OA for only a couple of months. Welcome to the boards! Oh yeah, some nice pages in your CAF

Thanks so much for your very nice post!

I'm also a sucker for flattery. So, I won't stop you from continuing. In fact, I'll be your best friend.

More seriously, I find this to be a great hobby and it is a privilege to be on the boards with knowledgeable and thoughtful people like yourself. Although I just started OA (I'd been reading comics for years), I really enjoy OA and I hope to be collecting it for years to come.

There are only two problems that I can identify with the OA hobby. They can be summed up in a conversation I had with a friend of mine who also just started collecting a few months ago. Defending his complete and utter addiction to the hobby (which I share) he said, "There's nothing wrong with it. It's not like cocaine or anything."

To which I replied "It's more expensive than cocaine." (I'm guessing). But at $3-$6K a pop for pages I really want, but haven't bought, it certainly costs you some coin to keep getting what Scott Williams calls that "fix."

Anyway, thanks again, for your kind compliments.

Best regards.

- A

Artemaria and PRC --

Thanks for the discussion! I always learn something around here as a Byrne fan...

Dan

(ps will post link to my pages and CAF once I get a bigger scanner this June.)

Artemaria and PRC --

Thanks for the discussion! I always learn something around here as a Byrne fan...

Dan

Hi Dan; I take my 11 by 17 pieces to Kinkos and make reduced color xeroxes; then scan those. They look pretty nifty and I don't have to spring for a big, new scanner.... D grin.gif

Artemaria and PRC --

Dan

Hi Dan; I take my 11 by 17 pieces to Kinkos and make reduced color xeroxes; then scan those. They look pretty nifty and I don't have to spring for a big, new scanner.... D grin.gif

I'd also rather spend my money on assembling a rockin' Kirby collection (a la Westform) than a scanner!

Dan,

Thanks for the compliment. I do my best to stay abreast of the Byrne market since my OA collection is over 20% Byrne and less than 1% Adams.

As a general comment to all, a good person to talk to about the Neal Adams market is Richard Martines. He collects both DC and Marvel Adams. Look him up on the CAF under the Ms.

Ciao!

PRC

acclaim.gif

headbang.gif

PRC-

That's very nice of you to give props to Mr. Martines. His Adams collection is truly impressive.

However, I'd like to add my thanks to you for sharing in your encyclopedic Byrne pricing knowledge.

You've certainly informed my perspective and I greatly appreciate it.

- A