• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I make the switch to trades?

28 posts in this topic

Go with an online service, get your books delivered to your door on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, at a bigger discount than any store can give you. thumbsup2.gif

Some links:

DCBS (I use and love)

mailorder comics

And Comic Supply (don't have link, but they are a board member)

Help me out here. I need a service where I can place a 'subscription' for 3, 6 or 12 issues and more. you know, buy and forget.

I can't seem to find a way to buy subscriptions. Am I just missing something? confused.gif

A place like www.g-mart.com does set-it-and-forget-it subscriptions. They also offer discounts and free shipping if you have $85 or more.

Help me out here. I need a service where I can place a 'subscription' for 3, 6 or 12 issues and more. you know, buy and forget.

I can't seem to find a way to buy subscriptions. Am I just missing something? confused.gif

BobsComics

I have used this place in the past, and they offer 3, 6, 9, and 12 month subscriptions.

I too use DCBS and have for about the last 6 months. No problems whatsoever. Good customer service although I was surprised they sent out extra books because of a printer error on a book, but that says how dedicated they are. They pack very well and all my books so far are just as I could get them off the shelves.

About the TPB thing. Personally I am on the other end of it. Ill quit comics before I go to TPBs and ONLY buy them if they individual issues are scarce or very expensive. Half the fun is tracking down the comics to read. While TPBs have their need and placement I have no desire for them unless I am desperate to read something. I like the thrill of waiting another month for the next issue or even tracking down books. All types of people on here will help you find the book you are looking for. Now somebody find me a Champions last issue. Dont care what shape its in just need it to complete the run.

B&N has some great trades on the bargain section sometimes. I picked up the spider-man and x-men runs from there for cheaper then eBay.

I have the first two Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men trades from B&N, at $4.98 each. Wish I could find more.

I have used Mail Order Comics for several years because I got tired of going to the shop and the discounts are much better. Even with a shipping charge the discounts are better. I have been happy with them.

I have been buying fewer individual issues as well. I have gotten to the point that for the ones I do buy I just let them pile up about 6 deep and then grab the stack to read.

Joey Q and MArvel's take on TPBs vs. monthlies in today's Newsarama:

Q: Doctor_Chronos 05-31-2007 10:05 PM

With more and more readers joining the "wait for the trade" camp, do you ever envision a future where the single issues are no longer produced and everything is just created directly for a trade or an omnibus type book like Shonen Jump (but with all new material, not reprints)?

JQ: No, Doctor_Chronos, I don’t quite see that day upon us any time soon. I see it very much akin to episodic TV and DVD compilations of the episodes. Both exists nicely and bring in different revenue streams. If you have two very active and profitable revenue streams, why would you cut one off? I think comic fans come in many shapes and sizes and also like their comics in different formats. Some like going to the comic shop and getting the issues as they come out, some like to wait for a trade and some like to have both.

Either way, no matter how you slice it, sales are great across the board in each category and we’re not seeing any sort of decline that would indicate one has to be replaced by the other.