• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Astonishing 11

14 posts in this topic

Tough one. I'll take a stab at it and say 5.0. The front cover looks excellent, except for the chip, but then big problems on the back, with the corner missing and what appears to be a tear along the bottom. Fine eye appeal, lower technical score.

Tough one. I'll take a stab at it and say 5.0. The front cover looks excellent, except for the chip, but then big problems on the back, with the corner missing and what appears to be a tear along the bottom. Fine eye appeal, lower technical score.

I'd say 5.0 and agree with all of John's points. Wish I could say 5.5, but that is a sizeable chip missing on the back. Still, looks great!

I'd say 5.0 and agree with all of John's points. Wish I could say 5.5, but that is a sizeable chip missing on the back. Still, looks great!

Well, it is a sizeable chip - I'm going to venture a 3/8" triangle . . . Now the OSGG would put that where? Certainly not at 5.0 or better makepoint.gif

Well, it is a sizeable chip - I'm going to venture a 3/8" triangle . . . Now the OSGG would put that where? Certainly not at 5.0 or better makepoint.gif

Okay, I completed today's homework assignment, and much to my surprise, a 5.0 can have no missing pieces, no matter how small (although p. 222 has a 5.0 book with a 1/8" corner chip, and p. 225 has a "poorly trimmed" 5.0 with big chunks out of the pages). The first grade that allows for missing pieces is 4.5 at 1/8" corner triangle.

The first grade that would allow a 3/8" triangle such as this book is 3.0!

This raises the question, what if a book is really nice except is has this one flaw that isn't allowed in a higher grade? It seems ridiculous to say that this book is a 3.0, in my opinion. Would CGC really grade this a 3.0??

Excellent question. More opinions would be helpful. I'm going to run through all my slabbed books and see if any are missing pieces of any significance. My gut tells me that there's just no way CGC gives this book a 3.0

On page 192 of the grading guide (3rd edition, by the way), there is a 6.5 with what appears to be at least a 1/8" triangle missing from the front cover (rat chew).

Well that's not much to go on, but I'm guessing by the tone in your email that it's higher than 3.0!! (Or 4.0, which is the highest grade that mentions 1/4" triangles missing.)

You got me. It's a 5.5. Have to say that the rest of the book is gorgeous though. Seems that rather than naming a minimum grade for a certain defect, it makes more sense to deduct a substantial (2.0 or more) points from what the grade would otherwise have been. Tricky business.

Back to the book at hand, however. I'm thinking somewhere around 4.0 - 4.5.

You got me. It's a 5.5. Have to say that the rest of the book is gorgeous though. Seems that rather than naming a minimum grade for a certain defect, it makes more sense to deduct a substantial (2.0 or more) points from what the grade would otherwise have been. Tricky business.

1/4" triangle missing and a water stain 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's a pretty generous 5.5 IMHO. But yes, you grade the entire book - not just one messed up corner. sumo.gif

1/4" triangle missing and a water stain 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's a pretty generous 5.5 IMHO. But yes, you grade the entire book - not just one messed up corner. sumo.gif

If I didn't have an ancient scanner I'd scan the whole slab for you cause it really is a great copy - but there you go. I was really looking that book over and darn if it wouldn't be at LEAST a 7.5 without that chip. Heartbreaking.