• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is FAKE OA very rare or very common???

9 posts in this topic

I do not collect OA ( yet ), but always wondered how often fakes appeared in the market, and how you can tell / what to look for.

.........So, how rare is it for fakes to appear for sale, and how can you tell ???

Steve

fakes only appear for high profile artist. I have seen or heard of Bernie Wrightson fakes, neal adams fakes, Frank Frazetta fakes, Kirby fakes, and I think HR giger fakes.

The reason these artist faked is there work is in high demand and sell for 1000 up to 100,000. low end stuff is generally OK.

Be careful of this new trend for mechanical art which is real and from the publisher but they are copies used to create reprints for the most part. These have value but arent truly OA.

Kris

Lower end stuff gets ripped off as well. Just watch eBay and you'll see countless "sketches" by Jim Lee, Adam Hughes, Art Adams, etc pop up every now and again. Two faux Hughes pieces just got kicked off eBay this week.

A couple of OA rules to get you started:

1. Know what you are buying. Educate yourself before you get into OA. The number one way to spot fraud is the art "look wrong" (but you won't know that unless you are familiar with that artist's work).

2. When starting out, buy from a reputable source. (A known dealer or trusted collector)

3. If it seems too good to be true, it is. (Like a Calvin & Hobbes original on eBay for $50? Please.)

fakes only appear for high profile artist. I have seen or heard of Bernie Wrightson fakes, neal adams fakes, Frank Frazetta fakes, Kirby fakes, and I think HR giger fakes.

Kris

Not forgeting faked Ditko ASM pages - like a # 35 page, marked up as a # 28 page in the top margin . . . foreheadslap.gif

Sometimes the 'warning' signs get overlooked as greed takes over. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do not collect OA ( yet ), but always wondered how often fakes appeared in the market, and how you can tell / what to look for.

.........So, how rare is it for fakes to appear for sale, and how can you tell ???

Steve

To answer your question: original art fakes are exceedingly rare.... I'm talking published covers, splashes or panel pages here. That is why when they do crop up like the ebay sale of the Ditka spidey page it is a big deal and causes a lot of talk...

It is also popular for unpublished works. Here are some good reads on fakes.

fake kirby

Fakes

Thank you for these links! I wouldn't have thought that fakers would put so much effort into their products. Bob Kane Batman sketches are regularly faked. I wouldn't go so far as to claim to be an expert on them, but I think I've developed a real eye for legit Bob Kanes over the last few years.

I think it's still exceedingly rare to find fake pages, but sketches are a whole 'nother story. Quick and easy, plus if an artist is hurried enough, their own work may not look right, even if you watched them do it.