• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Label - New Take

28 posts in this topic

The CGC apologists (and, my apologies, but you are) want to believe that CGC is an entirely benevolent institution whose sole purpose is enhancing the comic collecting industry for everyone in it... but the CGC haters

I am SICK to DEATH of this grouping of people into the "pro-CGC" and "anti-CGC" camps. You know who started this? Mr. Disinformation. Since he started characterizing people as pro-CGC or anti-CGC, a dozen or more people here latched onto it. The guy really knows how to get his hooks into people in his effort to bend opinion to a state that benefits him the most.

Just because a person agrees with some of CGC's policies, it doesn't necessarily mean that they agree with all of them. And just because someone DISagrees with some of CGC's policies, it doesn't mean that they DISagree with all of them.

My assumption is that SmokingHawk's bias is for the best grading system possible, not for or against CGC as a company. In trying to envision the best grading system possible, sometimes your opinions will coincide with CGC's, and sometimes they won't. This effort by certain forum members to stereotype others is absolutely ignorant. The world's just not that simple a place.

FF, I'd like to buy you a Coke. (Now we skip off into the sunset, arm-in-arm...)

HARMONY IS ATTAINABLE, MY COMIC-COLLECTING BROTHERS AND SISTER!!!!

I sell comics. My grading is pretty good (Rip Van Sleep's horribly overgraded Challengers of the Unknown 72 being the exception that proves the rule 893frustrated.gif) and I know what sells and what doesn't sell.

Selling CGC books is easier. Does that make me a CGC apologist? Not really. Do I like the new label? No, but for aesthetic reasons. Does that make me a CGC hater? No.

What happens if the art of grading goes beyond a 25-point scale...do we start using VF++?

You know, it's funny that you mention that. I think Metropolis still uses such grades; I've bought "VG++" and "Fine++" from them.

FF, I'd like to buy you a Coke. (Now we skip off into the sunset, arm-in-arm...)

HARMONY IS ATTAINABLE, MY COMIC-COLLECTING BROTHERS AND SISTER!!!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

...last week, I would have agreed with you about the possibility of harmony! But now that Arrogance has shown his face yet again, I've got my doubts.

And yes, I capitalized the "A" in "A"rrogance to make it a proper noun to refer to a person. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Something that has not been mentioned (I apologize if it has) is that with the new labels , the serial number is HUGE. While I have read it might be easier to fake the label with only a number, how can you screw with the larger-than-life serial numbers? It also makes it easier to call on a book for grader's notes.