• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Getting Sketches at a convention.....

24 posts in this topic

I always just accept whatever the artist happens to have. At the same time, I get a little jeaous of the guys with the sketchbooks full of cool stuff. When that happens though, I just remind myself of how cool it is to have my sketches framed and hanging on the wall. cloud9.gif

They have paper, but it never hurts to have your own pad, especially if you want your stack of OA to be the same size.

Great idea.

I and others have paper with us

at the cons, but bringing a sketchbook is great if you want your con

sketches in a volume, or if some artists didn't bring anything ( sounds

nutty, but you never know ).

I always bring my own - artists don't always have paper believe it or not. Plus, then the sizes are uniform.

And I also have a small sketchbook I just started last year. But 99% of my sketches are on loose bristol board.

I always bring my sketchbook. I like when the artist looks through it and makes comments on the other artists work. I feel like they put a little more time into the sketch when they see the others.

Totally. The sketches in book start off weak ... and get better and better as the artists try to one up each other ...

I always bring my sketchbook. I like when the artist looks through it and makes comments on the other artists work. I feel like they put a little more time into the sketch when they see the others.

Totally. The sketches in book start off weak ... and get better and better as the artists try to one up each other ...

I had never thought of it that way, but you know.....once you say it, they do try to top one another. I've seen it at the tables, but at the time I always thought, "Man, can't he just draw and get on with it?" 27_laughing.gif

I enjoy having a sketchbook along, it's easy to transport and show-off, especially if your travelling to a con outside of your home area.

I have seen some people bring blank comic pages along to get sketched, a neat idea, which would keep a collection fairly uniform in size.

I buy pads of Strathmore bristol 9x12. The sheets come out of the pad cleanly and hold up nicely.

Yep, there is no right or wrong way. I've seen some pretty nice themed sketch books before. And, actually, one of the coolest things I've seen was a guy that had a piece of OA board and he was getting the thing filled with Spidey and his rogues gallery. Each artist he had draw on it did a different character.

Yep, there is no right or wrong way. I've seen some pretty nice themed sketch books before. And, actually, one of the coolest things I've seen was a guy that had a piece of OA board and he was getting the thing filled with Spidey and his rogues gallery. Each artist he had draw on it did a different character.

I'm digging it. That's a cool way to have a sketchbook filled. 893applaud-thumb.gif

for all the non-sketchbook people, what do u bring to protect the sketches? u can put a sketchbook in your backpack without having to worry too much about damaging the sketches. i imagine u have to be very careful storing loose sheets of sketches.

s

i use sketchbooks, I get more drawings that way. I think artists are less leery that someone will flip a bound sketchbook and they are more likely to do a quick sketch then say sorry, i'm booked.

for all the non-sketchbook people, what do u bring to protect the sketches? u can put a sketchbook in your backpack without having to worry too much about damaging the sketches. i imagine u have to be very careful storing loose sheets of sketches.

s

lots of people use an empty fedex box to store their sketches at cons or most shows will sell plastic holders to fit any size paper.

I currently have three sketchbooks going (finished my random 9x6 after 8 years)

9x6-Legion of Super-Heroes. each character can only be drawn once

9x6-Women- only women superheroes

11x14-this is basically my pay book as I get the super nice sketches in this one.

My filled 9x6 has great sketches by the likes of hughes, infantino, kitson, turner, stelfreeze, layton, jrjr, horn, cassady. The last page and inside cover have many good auto's like feldstein, jusko, palmiotti. It was a labor of love spanning 8 years but wouldn't sell it for the world. Nothing better than free sketches in your own personal book.

s

A lot of us use Itoya portfolios.

Paper-wise, is there any particular weight that is better than another? A friend is going to Philly and is going to try to get a Joe Kubert sketch for me and asked about my preference. I just always take what's offered. confused-smiley-013.gif