• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Getting Sketches at a convention.....

24 posts in this topic

Paper-wise, is there any particular weight that is better than another? A friend is going to Philly and is going to try to get a Joe Kubert sketch for me and asked about my preference. I just always take what's offered. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, if you're going to be giving the paper to him ( Generous ) go for a 120# Strathmore. It comes in different sizes Blick's has "Windpower" 14X17's for a great price. Check out there site. Otherwise 80# is fine.

My OA collection is very mixed. The first 'con I got a sketch as the artist brought his own 11x17" bristol board. So one of my favorite pieces (Ron Garney Spider-Man) is on that. This also set my expectation that artists brought their own paper.

I bumped into Ken Lashley that same day. He didn't bring paper but he was only appearing for an hour at a movie booth to boot, so I don't think doing a ton of stuff was in his plan. We chatted it up, though, and he ultimately drew me an awesome-looking Flash. That ended up being on a comic backboard because I had no other paper.

So at this point, my assumption was still that artists brought their own stuff to draw on.

Turned out when I paid for my Angel Medina sketch down the road this was not the case. So that ended up being on a comic backboard too. On the bright side, I cut those down to a framing size (Flash and Black Cat) as they didn't take up the whole board and I wanted to frame them in these nice frames I got at Ikea. They're perfect now.

That means when FCB rolled around, I had no clue whether you were supposed to bring your own or what. So I aksed one of the guys at the store and he said the guests usually had their own. Naturally, when I arrived, the guests didn't have their own. So I bought the giant OA mylars and had them draw on the backing of those. The cool thing is that paper is super heavy and my drawings from that are actually a good deal larger than 11x17" These are now my favorite sketches due to sheer size alone.

I decided to start bringing those around to have people draw on from here on out. The problem? Oh yeah, at a large convention artists don't have time to draw on those. And no matter how much you tell guys it doesn't have to be filled up, they won't believe you. That worked out oK at this latest Paradise show, becuase Linsner HAD brought his own bristol sketch pad and didn't really want to work on anything else anyway.

So what's the answer? Honestly, probably a sketchbook. Go figure.

Har!

Paper-wise, is there any particular weight that is better than another? A friend is going to Philly and is going to try to get a Joe Kubert sketch for me and asked about my preference. I just always take what's offered. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, if you're going to be giving the paper to him ( Generous ) go for a 120# Strathmore. It comes in different sizes Blick's has "Windpower" 14X17's for a great price. Check out there site. Otherwise 80# is fine.

Thank you for the advice! thumbsup2.gif