• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS- John Romita Sr - Young Men #24 CGC 5.0 SS

24 posts in this topic

I'd love to have that book except for one thing....some Romita guy wrote his name in it! 27_laughing.gif

I know I'm wandering into the lion's den here, but I came to the SS forum to try and gain perspective on this niche in the hobby, so I hope I don't offend by asking questions and giving my side of the matter.

I've been after Young Men #24 for a long time now, and while this copy is out of my budget currently (damn you, Virtual Comic Con!) I really think I might pass it up due to the sig. I'm old school on this topic, I see any writing on my comics as a detraction, whether it's inside or out. I do make exceptions to this rule at shows where a particular long-time favorite creator may be appearing, but I don't get a book signed to add value then. I get it signed as a souvenir of my meeting with them.

That being said, what is the appeal to the SS books for you guys? What are you seeing that I'm not? Am I just mired in "the old ways"? I do acutally collect astronaut autographs from the Mercury-Apollo programs, so I can see the appeal in getting sigs from certain people. I just wouldn't get them on my comics. Posters? Sure. Lithos? Why not? A nice photo? Again, sure! But my comics are off limits.

it says John Romita did the art, so he's probably got something on the cover or interior of the book.

i think it makes more sense when the signer had something to do with the book.

and it's such a crazy book to actually get signed! the slabbing costs alone would probably already be too expensive for me.

sweet book.

The draw for me is that CGC found a legit way to authenticate signatures. With this art form, just like painting or sculpting or anything else, having the artist(s) signatures gives it a personal touch. At the same time, in my eyes, makes the comic a little more unique.

Plus it looks great in that yellow slab.

I'm pretty sure that this is Romita's first superhero cover piece with Timely/Atlas.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

crazy! i did not know that.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Has anyone verified this with Romita? About a month ago I was looking for answers as to who did the Young Men covers, as almost every source as has different credits given. GCD credits Ayers with a ?

While Marvel Masterworks press releases credit the cover to Carl Burgos http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/preview_73rd.html. Considering Romita and Ayers are still alive it would be nice to put to rest these uncertain credits.

Actually I see that the cover is credited to Carl Burgos from the latest issue that was listed for sale on Heritage. However, I do believe that this is Romita's first superhero work for Atlas/Timley because this is the first issue from the brief "superhero revivial". Think he did some romance stuff for them prior to this?

Actually I see that the cover is credited to Carl Burgos from the latest issue that was listed for sale on Heritage. However, I do believe that this is Romita's first superhero work for Atlas/Timley because this is the first issue from the brief "superhero revivial". Think he did some romance stuff for them prior to this?

I don't take Heritage's word on the credit either. Check out the description for Young Men 25. Two separate auctions. One time cover credit is listed as Carl Burgos the other time it's John Romita. Both CGC labels say John Romita cover. foreheadslap.gif

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=16122&Lot_No=16419&src=pr

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=824&Lot_No=42243&src=pr#PHOTO

I've got to find my sources, but I want to say it was in an issue of Alter Ego. I think on issue #24 that the Human Torch portion was done by Burgos. The Captain America panel was used from a Romita page. I don't know where the Sub-Mariner panel came from.

#25 looks like Burgos, but I can't say for certain.

Off to look for old AE's.........

Huh...found it.....a new record time.

Romita did not do the cover to Young Men #24.

Per an interview in AE #35, Mort Lawrence had started the Cap story for #24 and either Mort or Stan Lee didn't like it. Stan offered the job to John Romita who jumped on it. That would make it Romita's first hero work for Timely/Atlas. The Big Three Heroes went away in late 1949/early 1950 (depends on whether you count a Cap Horror Book from 2/1950) and returned for the first time in Young Men in 1953.

Romita said Stan showed him either a splash page from Lawrence or the cover to YM #24, he didn't remember which. That rules Romita out as the artist. Combine this with the fact (?) that Burgos did all the other covers, and it seems that he's the likely candidate. AE credits Burgos with all the covers to the YM Hero run and Men's Adventures #27, as well as #28 with some assists.

If you compare the pose of the Torch and other people on the cover to other Burgos artwork, YM #24 looks similar, at least to me. Some examples that I looked at are Human Torch #36 and 37 and Young Men #27 (the cover of this issue was also the Human Torch splash page).

Bottom line: YES Young Men #24 is John Romita's first Timely/Atlas hero work, however, he DID NOT do the cover.

AE credits Burgos with all the covers to the YM Hero run and Men's Adventures #27, as well as #28 with some assists.

Some sources credit Burgos with all the covers, but if you look at them they don't all look like they came from the same artist. I tried to get a hold of Ayers to see if he could confirm that he did the cover to Young Men 27 as credited by CGC and Comics.org (this time no with no ?). 27 doesn't look very much like some of the other covers in that run and the splash page for the torch story was done by Ayers and looks just like the cover.

AE credits Burgos with all the covers to the YM Hero run and Men's Adventures #27, as well as #28 with some assists.

Some sources credit Burgos with all the covers, but if you look at them they don't all look like they came from the same artist. I tried to get a hold of Ayers to see if he could confirm that he did the cover to Young Men 27 as credited by CGC and Comics.org (this time no with no ?). 27 doesn't look very much like some of the other covers in that run and the splash page for the torch story was done by Ayers and looks just like the cover.

Ayers did the Torch story in #27? Really? I've got that one as Burgos too. My understanding was that Burgos handled all of the Torch work done on the Heroes revival in the two titles we've been discussing (aborted Silver Age is my name for the era) except the first one in #24 of Young Men, which was done by Russ Heath (but Burgos redid some of the Torch images). I'll freely admit, I'm exhausted and struggling to remember though.

In the same issue of AE (#35), Ayers discusses how some of the stories were a mish-mash of artists and that Stan or Martin would want a panel or even a single character changed and the art didn't go to the original artist for the change. They'd have whoever was at hand do just that little bit. The original creator wouldn't know a change was made until the book was released, at times.

This has turned into a very interesting topic! Well Burgos signed the HT#37 and the MA's #27 and they all look similar. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Love this cover btw.

This era is one of my absolute favorites! I finally picked up my YM#24 just a few months ago to complete these two titles....now on to Cap, Torch and Subby!

I thought Burgos signed #27, but I can't find it. confused.gif

As long as I'm being controversial.... tongue.gif

Does anyone know why Timely/Atlas isn't credited with the start of the Silver Age? Most people know of the "golf course" story about how the management at Timely/Atlas was playing the bosses at DC/National and the DC crew talked about how well JLA was doing. The Timely honchos went back and told Stan Lee to come up with a team book, that book was the Fantastic Four which I still consider the start of the Silver Age. I know I'm the minority here, but to me DC rehashed old heroes while Marvel came up with something completely new. Not only did Marvel come up with new heroes, but Stan gave them the "Marvel foibles" that made the publisher great. Now Marvel wouldn't have done it without DC's "prompting" but does that mean DC should get the credit for starting the Silver Age by bringing back the Flash, which eventually became a member of JLA, which did well for DC and lead to the conversation on the golf course?

My argument is this: DC re-introduced the Flash after they saw the Atlas Hero revival. Now Atlas didn't re-vamp their heroes, but they did provide stories on where they had been during the intervening four years. Sub-Mariner only ended one year prior to Showcase #4. No one seems to have a clear memory on why DC decided to revamp the Flash and bring him back. Was it an editor looking at Atlas saying "we could do that better"? Was it an artist or writer itching to do the character? Something else entirely?

confused-smiley-013.gif