• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink / Pedigree sellers.

32 posts in this topic

There was a recent event with Metropolis Comics that left me frustrated.

The comic had a "Make an offer" button and so I made an offer

I thought was pretty generous (between gpa and os book)

Here is the e-mail I got back:

Thanks for contacting us and making an offer. We are not discounting this book currently, as these are very good sellers and tough to restock. Please do feel free to continue to make offers, as we will always consider a reasonable offer.

O.K. , if you aren't discounting this book then

why the hell do you have a "Make an offer" button!!!

I would of had no beef at all with them as long as there wasn't a

"Make an offer" button. Why even have it near a book unless it is legit...

I mean, was the offer not reasonable enough???

someone please tell me.

tongue.gif

I have received the same response so it may be a canned one...not saying it is, but it might be. If they were serious about it they might want to reply with a counter offer rather than a generic message.

I like the declined bids staying posted. It gives a better reference for an initial bid. What I don't like are the books that sold a year ago still being listed with the current books. Move them to an archive section. sign-rantpost.gif

you couldn't mean harry's books listed sale pending after two years?

Thanks for the reminder. just found 17 books that were sold approx 2 years ago.

fortunately, as mentioned, they were all marked as sale pending, so no harm done..................am notifying Doug today.

Has Josh ever explained to anyone why a "sale pending" doesn't instantly appear when somebody hits a BIN on ComicLink? It seems kind of wrong that you can match the "buy it now" price and only find out later that somebody (supposedly?) beat you to it. I know sellers have to confirm that the book is still available, but it's sale PENDING, not sale COMPLETED. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but from a buyer's perspective, it's a weird way of doing things.

I imagine there's a good reason, and a simple one...now just what could that reason be? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On an unrelated note, if it was my site, I'd make sure to set it up such that I got first crack at any grossly underpriced books. On another unrelated note, I don't know if Doug still has to "approve" listings before they go live on Pedigree, but we've all seen books show up on his site with "Sale Pending" right off the bat, apparently before anyone has a chance to bid on them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has Josh ever explained to anyone why a "sale pending" doesn't instantly appear when somebody hits a BIN on ComicLink? It seems kind of wrong that you can match the "buy it now" price and only find out later that somebody (supposedly?) beat you to it. I know sellers have to confirm that the book is still available, but it's sale PENDING, not sale COMPLETED. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but from a buyer's perspective, it's a weird way of doing things.

I imagine there's a good reason, and a simple one...now just what could that reason be? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On an unrelated note, if it was my site, I'd make sure to set it up such that I got first crack at any grossly underpriced books. On another unrelated note, I don't know if Doug still has to "approve" listings before they go live on Pedigree, but we've all seen books show up on his site with "Sale Pending" right off the bat, apparently before anyone has a chance to bid on them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it were your site, and you'd made sure to set it up that you had first crack at the books, would you make that public knowledge? Or would you just use the anonymous bidding format to your advantage?

Thanks for contacting us and making an offer. We are not discounting this book currently, as these are very good sellers and tough to restock. Please do feel free to continue to make offers, as we will always consider a reasonable offer.

someone please tell me.

tongue.gif

If it was more than a percent or two discount it was unreasonable! I was very happy with the $50 they knocked off my last $2500 purchase. I thought it was extremely generous on their part. In fact when I see the "make an offer" button next to a book I want, it is all I can do not to just offer them more than their asking price. They have been soooo generous to me in the past that I feel I should return the favor!

That's a full 2 % you lucky dog. You must be receiving the royal treatment but then again I'm sure you had to pay shipping ...

Actually, they threw that in! acclaim.gif

If it were your site, and you'd made sure to set it up that you had first crack at the books, would you make that public knowledge? Or would you just use the anonymous bidding format to your advantage?

No, I don't believe I would make it public knowledge that basically all sales go through me, and one way or the other I get first crack, not the buyers that use my site. devil.gif

No, I don't believe I would make it public knowledge that basically all sales go through me, and one way or the other I get first crack, not the buyers that use my site. devil.gif

I always wondered who the "lucky buyers" were that seemingly instantly snapped up all the good buys.

Wow... do I feel naive. tonofbricks.gif

A consignment site that buys "underpriced" books might as well bid on their own material. I've had consignment material that I "could" have bought. But it sort of goes against what you the consignment site owner should be doing. Listing the books, making your consignment fee and letting someone else make money. If you think that you should "buy it" you might as well look in the mirror and say "I'm in it for the short term gain". It also says you are greedy and can't leave "money on the table".

Doug's quickly sold books are generally pre-listing deals he's done. While I don't agree they should be posted it does provide a trackable sale.

I do not feel that Doug or Josh buys their own stuff by bidding on it. If they are buying material it's dealing directly with the person who is listing it. Why would a consignment business risk having a consignor find out you've bought their books and then relisted them at a higher price?

someone please tell me.

tongue.gif

seems like it's always been this way on metro's site. hence the comicconnect

someone please tell me.

tongue.gif

seems like it's always been this way on metro's site. hence the comicconnect

I've hit this as well, and got quite peeved with their whole set-up.

And then this comicconnect is not even thinly disguised as a 'son of metropolis' website. So as for improving things. They could of done that with the main site long along!