• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for LAST ISSUES

47 posts in this topic

Erik, welcome to the boards!

Forum member Shield has CDs of all of the 1940s MLJ titles scanned and available for purchase. Lots of great esoteric heroes in those issues. Here's the link:

http://www.goldcomics.com/forum/

Any reason in particular why it needs to be "last" issues? There were scores of different heroes & features that were rotated out during the golden age. (One title that comes to mind is Catman...lots of great bizarre backup characters there, especially in the middle of the run.)

Forum member Shield has CDs of all of the 1940s MLJ titles scanned and available for purchase. Lots of great esoteric heroes in those issues. Here's the link:

Any reason in particular why it needs to be "last" issues? There were scores of different heroes & features that were rotated out during the golden age. (One title that comes to mind is Catman...lots of great bizarre backup characters there, especially in the middle of the run.)

Yes, .5, I was thinking the same over here. Every time I think about the last appearance of a GA hero / character, I can't help thinking that it will be a sad outing since late run issues tended to have weaker artistic personel on board. I have firmly in mind the crew at Fox for example, hence I wonder why Erik would want to concentrate on the last issues. Any reasons why, Erik?

Quite right, Fox is the mother of all examples of this...wonderful second-stringer characters at the beginning of their titles, less so at the end. (In fact, it's a wonder I refrained from mentioning them for once.) smile.gif

Here's a splash from The Flame # 5 but there is a single Flame story in Flame # 6 but I don't have that and the Flame also appeared for example in Big 3 whose issue # 7 appeared after Flame # 5. Anyway, here's the splash -

1831570-Flame5-Flame.jpg

1831570-Flame5-Flame.jpg.4479e42fd55efc24caab511f7ec8963a.jpg

Anyway, here's a Hangman splash from Hangman # 8, last issue of that title ... but Hangman continued to appear in Black Hood after his appearance here -

1831558-Hangman8-Hangman.jpg

Now that is a splash! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, .5, I was thinking the same over here. Every time I think about the last appearance of a GA hero / character, I can't help thinking that it will be a sad outing since late run issues tended to have weaker artistic personel on board. I have firmly in mind the crew at Fox for example, hence I wonder why Erik would want to concentrate on the last issues. Any reasons why, Erik?

No--you're right. I guess I'm looking more for the last appearances of characters in a given title. To see where they were left off. To get a feel for those characters and their lives. In cases where a book ended on a low note--with crappy characters--sure, I'd like to look further back and find better characters and put together what might be the best of the best. If, for example, Hero-Man and Liberty-Lady were an item in their final story--or a significant character died--I'd want to know that.

If you were to put together a "best of" issue (in terms of characters now--not necessarily best art) who would you stick in the line up? But I'd still be very interested in seeing the last issues of that given title.

And, hey--if these aren't online--if I could con some poor guy into scanning some comics--that would be fine too.

Savage Dragon sketch? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you got? I may be able to make it worth your while. yay.gif

just kidding, I would post them for you for nothing!...what other issues besides Fantastic and Crack (my Fantastic is entombed in a CGC holder)...I have the last Keen Detective Funnies hanging around, and some others...

let us know a more comprehensive list, and there are some big guns on this board that I am sure would assist!

gator

Please, PLEASE....don't scan your crack.

hehe, see if I offer you my Great #3 poke2.gif

Ok, scan your crack & sell me your Great 3, just send the crack to ciorac. devil.gif

A guy named Buttock turning down crack? confused-smiley-013.gif Now I've seen everything.....

Sorry to derail this thread, but since Erik has only posted here, I have a question...

Why don't you sell any of your Dragon pages? confused-smiley-013.gif

Welcome to the Boards! thumbsup2.gif

Why don't you sell any of your Dragon pages? confused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

Savage Dragon is much more of a personal work than anything else I've done. Somehow it just didn't feel right to sell pages and over the years--it's been extremely handy to have them. When we did the recent Archive collections we scanned in those pages from the original art. If I'd have sold them I couldn't have done that.

Why don't you sell any of your Dragon pages? confused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

Savage Dragon is much more of a personal work than anything else I've done. Somehow it just didn't feel right to sell pages and over the years--it's been extremely handy to have them. When we did the recent Archive collections we scanned in those pages from the original art. If I'd have sold them I couldn't have done that.

That's what I figured. Tanks for answering.

Back to regularly scheduled thread.....

Fighting Yank or Catman would get my votes.

Back to regularly scheduled thread.....

Fighting Yank or Catman would get my votes.

All this talk of Fighting Yank is really forcing my hand ...

First from Startling # 47, this double page spread -

1833393-FightingYank-Startling47.jpg

and this lower quality scan from Fighting Yank # 11 -

1833393-FightingYank-Yank11.jpg

1833393-FightingYank-Yank11.jpg.52bb2e4f6e3fd62e9ac033f1d6047893.jpg