• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advise me on packaging and shipping

42 posts in this topic

My fellow board members:

I have recently decided to attempt to sell some of my unwanted comics through these forums and/or eBay (emphasis on attempt: most of what I have to sell is junk). The one thing that has kept me from trying to sell in the past is the hassle of shipping. I have been a somewhat active buyer on eBay for the past few years, including quite a few comics, and shipping has always been the most confusing issue (no pun intended) that has come up. I was looking over the USPS website and it looks straightforward enough: media mail could include comics, priority mail if someone wants their books faster.

But what is the safest way to package comics? I have had books shipped to me in those yellow, bubble packages and they arrive fine, but one careless elbow and things could be crushed. Boxes seem more secure, but there are problems with boxes as well. So, what is the happy medium? What supplies will I need to purchase? It looks like you can get free priority boxes from the USPS, but nothing for media mail.

I will not be able to check this thread until tomorrow evening. Do with that what you will. Thanks.

Whenever possible, I would stick with USPS Priority Mail boxes. They're free, sturdy, and the flat-rate is $8.95. A lot of buyers will pay this since they know their books will arrive safely and quickly. (You can always offer cheaper media mail as an option, I guess, especially for "dollar-bin" purchases). Since I always re-bag and re-board the back issues that I buy, I have a stash of old bags/boards available to use as packaging material.

I mainly use free USPS Priority Mail supplies. Assembly goes like this (2 flat-rate Priority envelopes, 1 Tyvek envelope, 1 piece of stiff cardboard, and a few old backing boards):

*Sandwich the bagged and boarded comic between old backing boards, about 3 in front, 3 in back.

*Slip that sandwich into a USPS Tyvek envelope, tight and even to one side. Fold the excess loose side over and the excess top down. Peel back a portion of the the top adhesive strip to secure it. Makes a tight tough package.

*Place that package into a flat-rate Priority cardboard envelope and seal it. Fold over the small excess of one end and tape it down, so it fits inside another Priority envelope along with a piece of stiff cardboard. Red stamp "Do Not Bend" on the front and back. For expensive books I'll put that whole package in a Priority box with foam packing peanuts.

In reverse, the customer pulls the Priority envelope's open-strip, removes another Priority envelope (and stiff cardboard), opens it to remove a tight Tyvek package, opens that to remove a small stack of backing boards...with their bagged/boarded book(s) safe in the middle.

or if you don't want to drive your customers crazy and potentially cause them to damage their books opening all the layers, you can buy some nice bubblewrap on ebay for cheap, wrap the books 4 or 5 times, tape the corners shut with free priority tape and then stick in a free priority box surrounded by free plastic bags from the grocery store. Super light, sturdy packaging that won't cause you or your customer a fortune on shipping and is easy to remove from the box.. poke2.gif

Whenever possible, I would stick with USPS Priority Mail boxes. They're free, sturdy, and the flat-rate is $8.95. A lot of buyers will pay this since they know their books will arrive safely and quickly. (You can always offer cheaper media mail as an option, I guess, especially for "dollar-bin" purchases). Since I always re-bag and re-board the back issues that I buy, I have a stash of old bags/boards available to use as packaging material.

I have invested in a $20 postage scale which is super handy when determining if I need to go flat rate or regular boxed priority. It has been a lifesaver not having to spend time in line at the PO. Just box, weigh, print, wait for postman to pick up next day. has been cloud9.gif the past few weeks.

Also you save $.60 a pop on delivery confirmation(free online) which makes that scale free pretty fast if you generally use DC like I do.

or if you don't want to drive your customers crazy and potentially cause them to damage their books opening all the layers, you can buy some nice bubblewrap on ebay for cheap, wrap the books 4 or 5 times, tape the corners shut with free priority tape and then stick in a free priority box surrounded by free plastic bags from the grocery store. Super light, sturdy packaging that won't cause you or your customer a fortune on shipping and is easy to remove from the box.. poke2.gif

Good advice, pirate.

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating...... Do not use heavy duty packaging tape to secure comics for shipping! It's really a bear to peel it off of comics and I've ripped open several comic bags trying to get it off! And it's easy to put bends in comics trying to peel the tape off.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Good advice, pirate.

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating...... Do not use heavy duty packaging tape to secure comics for shipping! It's really a bear to peel it off of comics and I've ripped open several comic bags trying to get it off! And it's easy to put bends in comics trying to peel the tape off.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thank you!!! I've been saying that forever and get criticised!

I asked an ebay seller why he charges $8.50 for priority mail (boxes are free)..He replied "I add an extra $3.00 to every package to offset my listing fees and my time" I really can't stand this way of ebay seller thinking,I can see you wanna make sure you have enough to cover the package,but I know I won't pay extra shipping simply because you are looking to make a profit and/or to give you a few extra bucks for your time.

Good advice, pirate.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thank you!!! I've been saying that forever and get criticised!

screwy.gif

I asked an ebay seller why he charges $8.50 for priority mail (boxes are free)..

--------------------------------

Given the weight of any free PM box that will hold comics....$8.50 actually doesn't leave a lot of margin for packages sent cross country, let's say from NYC to alaska or Hawaii, or maybe even CA, but if's a close shipment, yeah, that's too big a handling charge

I asked an ebay seller why he charges $8.50 for priority mail (boxes are free)..

Given the weight of any free PM box that will hold comics....$8.50 actually doesn't leave a lot of margin for packages sent cross country, let's say from NYC to alaska or Hawaii, or maybe even CA, but if's a close shipment, yeah, that's too big a handling charge

It was a Marvel Masterworks hardcover, Doesn't matter weather it's being shipped from CA to Maine,It's a flat rate free box mailed within the US.

It was a Marvel Masterworks hardcover, Doesn't matter weather it's being shipped from CA to Maine,It's a flat rate free box mailed within the US.

Doesn't that cost 8.95? So 8.50 seems very reasonable. confused-smiley-013.gif

Doesn't that cost 8.95? So 8.50 seems very reasonable. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think he is talking about the flat rate box. This is the regular Priority box. I find I can ship about 2 pounds for $6-8 depending upon the destination. So $8.50 is not stratospheric unless you are shipping within the State or to a neighboring State. If it was one book I would say yes but you can include quite a few comics in a 2 pound package.

Regarding the flat rate box I find I can get 60-64 comics in a flat rate box and thats not bad for $8.95.

I ship maybe 3,000 comics a year. I use Priority Mail envelopes for the vast majority of them (~90%). I order cardboard from Papermart - I usually order 500 8-1/2 X 11 200# pound corrugated sheet cardboard, already cut, costs $120 shipped to my house, which adds a little to my cost, but the time I don't spend cutting cardboard more than makes up for it. I slide the comic and the cardboard into a magazine size bag, tape it up, and ship it.

I charge $5 for shipping for everything. If you're going to ship a lot of comics (or a lot of anything, for that matter) you want to have the ability to be fast and mail directly, and that's why you use FLAT RATE mailing. Flat rate costs $4.60, buyers have no problem paying the extra 40 cents for speed. Same with the Flat Rate box, and Global Priority Mail International. You don't have to guess, and its easy.

I strongly urge AGAINST shipping any other way than Flat Rate Priority, because YOUR costs are going to go up. You need 1) boxes 2) materials 3) time to go to the post office 4) time in line at the post office, and 5) the ability to eat costs because you're trying to keep your customer's shipping costs down. $5 is fair, reasonable, and accurate. Don't shipping profiteer and charge $5 and THEN ship it media mail though.

I ship maybe 3,000 comics a year. I use Priority Mail envelopes for the vast majority of them (~90%). I order cardboard from Papermart - I usually order 500 8-1/2 X 11 200# pound corrugated sheet cardboard, already cut, costs $120 shipped to my house, which adds a little to my cost, but the time I don't spend cutting cardboard more than makes up for it. I slide the comic and the cardboard into a magazine size bag, tape it up, and ship it.

I charge $5 for shipping for everything. If you're going to ship a lot of comics (or a lot of anything, for that matter) you want to have the ability to be fast and mail directly, and that's why you use FLAT RATE mailing. Flat rate costs $4.60, buyers have no problem paying the extra 40 cents for speed. Same with the Flat Rate box, and Global Priority Mail International. You don't have to guess, and its easy.

I strongly urge AGAINST shipping any other way than Flat Rate Priority, because YOUR costs are going to go up. You need 1) boxes 2) materials 3) time to go to the post office 4) time in line at the post office, and 5) the ability to eat costs because you're trying to keep your customer's shipping costs down. $5 is fair, reasonable, and accurate. Don't shipping profiteer and charge $5 and THEN ship it media mail though.

I standardised my shipping (I ship many lots of 50-60 books at a time) to flat rate boxes. I have most packed up and ready to slap a label on them once the auctions end. I have roughly 50-60 auctions a month so I move 2, 500 -3, 000 books on average a month. Flat rate enables me to get everything packed with postage in 4-5 hours and my mailman picks them up late in the day on his way back to the PO since I live a half mile away. I hate it when I have to go media or first class (I do have a digital scale) since it breaks my rhythm.

On the other hand, the new Priority shipping overseas makes it much easier since I can use flat rate boxes to ship books out internationally now.

Since we're on the subject maybe someone here can help me.

In the past for shipping a few comics overseas (england and france specifically) I could use the global priority mail envelope and it cost a flat 9.50 for those countries.

With the new post regs, is that still an option? Can I sue the same envelope? Any price change?

I asked an ebay seller why he charges $8.50 for priority mail (boxes are free)..He replied "I add an extra $3.00 to every package to offset my listing fees and my time" I really can't stand this way of ebay seller thinking,I can see you wanna make sure you have enough to cover the package,but I know I won't pay extra shipping simply because you are looking to make a profit and/or to give you a few extra bucks for your time.

This is customary practice in all other mail order shipping from catalogs and elsewhere, so I don't get why people are so offended by it, especially if it's noted up front in the auction listing. As other people have already mentioned, the actual cost of the postage is not that far off.

Since we're on the subject maybe someone here can help me.

In the past for shipping a few comics overseas (england and france specifically) I could use the global priority mail envelope and it cost a flat 9.50 for those countries.

With the new post regs, is that still an option? Can I sue the same envelope? Any price change?

Now costs $11. You can use the same envelope, but they are NOT making them anymore. All Priority Mail International envelopes now require a customs form, (those under a pound did not need one previously) so you need to go to the Post Office to deliver it.

You can now use first class mail to some countrys IN a box...$4.66 for lb, but there is no insurance. I think it's about $1.50 more per lb. The best deal is that you can now use Flat Rate priority boxes to other countries, it's about $27.00, I don't ship too often out of the Country, I just don't like to bother, but that is a better deal.

I usually ship comics in bags and boards, IN a priority envelope, fold down the sides and tape the envelope using priority stickers, then I wrap the envelope in bubble wrap, put it in a priority box and stuff it with peanuts or crumbled newspaper (or cotton batting if I'm in a crafts mode)

For media mail, I buy special literature boxes, I wrap the comics in bubble wrap or foam wrap, then stuff the box with tissue paper or more bubble wrap, or the plastic grocery bags. I send 1-6 books that way for $3.50 (maybe now $3.75) for more than 6 books I charge a flat $5.50 it costs me $2.31 for shipping 1 lb (about 3 books and the box and wrappings) I think about 75 cents more per lb now (I'm not used to the new rates yet) and about 75 cents for the box, and maybe 40 cents for the bubble wrap and tissue, but it's safe, the boxes are 200lb weight and it's cheap for cheap comics (which is mostly what I sell, and who knows how many thousands I've sold, quite a few, though) It also encourages people to buy more than one book. If you print your postage on Paypal, the tracking is included.

For a more expensive comic, I wrap the bag and board in a grocery plastic bag, then I sandwich the comic usually between two boards, then I tape the boards around the grocery bag, NOT the COMIC bag, and I put that in a prioirity envelope, surround it with bubble wrap, and peanuts, etc in a priority box.

I buy a lot of GA books and it drives me crazy when there is packing tape on the bag an board, it's very hard to get it off safely and to open the package.

My daughter used to pack for me, she was the best, lol..but she went to college and I lost my packer..;)