• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Need advice from other Graphic Designers or really anyone with a job.

70 posts in this topic

AH, sorry to hear about your situation. I recently left a family-owned company that became a similar situation. It happened over a period of years. I wanted to move up, so I took on more and more responsibility. I eventually saw that they were more than happy to take as much as I wanted to give.

But when it was their turn to give, forget it. I had to nearly quit to get a promotion and a raise after 2 people in my dept. left (one of whom was my manager, whose position was eliminated after he left) and I was doing ALL of the work. I even had to train our graphic artist to do some of it because I couldn't do it all.

Sounds like your company does not value you or what you do, and that is NOT likely to change. Ever. They value what they value, and that's it. They pay some people well, and others poorly. You want and need to find a company that values what YOU do and what YOU bring to the table. There are companies out there that value what you do, and will pay you well for it. You've just got to go find them.

Add everything that you've done for them to your resume. Send your resume to as many different places as you possibly can, and get the heck outta there. That place is NOT going to change because they are not interested in changing.

Here are a few things that I learned, realized, and had to come to terms with:

1. I was part of the problem. I had enabled/allowed it to happen. No one held a gun to my head and made me stay there all those years and take on the extra responsibilities. No one made me keep my mouth shut when I thought things were unfair (I eventually learned to start talking). No one made me stay late, come in there on weekends & holidays, and feel like I couldn't take any days off.

2. I had the choice to either stay and try to make things better and change things (which I did for a long time), or leave.

3. *I* have to take care of myself and balance my own life (work, family, time for myself/my hobbies). No one else can do it for me, but I HAVE to do it.

4. I cannot approach work like a relationship. In general, in *good* relationships, the more you give, the better things get, and it is recognized, appreciated, and reciprocated. Work is NOT a relationship. It's just work. I have to separate who I am from what I do, and not get my identity from work.

5. That job, as bad/discouraging/frustrating as it was, was just a chapter in my life - it's not the entire book. I could take the good, leave the bad, and start a new chapter. And I learned a LOT (mostly what I DON'T want in a job and in a company), so a lot of good came from it.

Hang in there, but get out of there as soon as you can. Best of luck to you!

As a fellow designer, I too have been the victim of this.

DO NOT quit, no matter how much you want to, until you have another job lined up, unless you have plenty of money saved up and/or have another means of income (I still wouldn't reccommend it because it often takes longer than expected to find that next job).

Work on your resume, send it out, and do your best to get out of there. Stop working crazy hours, unless they pay overtime, and even then you might want to reconsider so you don't burn out. If they don't like it - too bad. Maybe they'll lay you off and you can get unemployment insurance (I don't know how that functiosn in the US) until you find a new job, but if you leave of your own volition you're in trouble.

It's really hard to take that kind of criticism from clueless folks - I know. Go work out, play a sport, or whatever it takes to get it out of the system and enjoy quality time with your family. Remember - you are in charge of your life, so don't let your job get you down - find ANOTHER ONE.

All the best!

Certainly, you should have another job lined up, for safety's sake. But maybe it would do you some good to take a week or so off before you jump back into a situation where you'll start working 80+ hours a week, esp. if you haven't had a vacation since your honeymoon.

Yeah, if you're a workaholic, you'd probably be bored stiff & dying to return after 2 days away from a desk. Well, 2 days of relaxation would probably be good for you, better than nothing.

On the job-hunting front:

1. If you know the owner of the place pretty well, and/or you think he (she?) is a smart, honest person, simply sit down and have a long talk with him. Be honest about what's going on. Maybe you can get your present boss's job.

2. If there are any colleagues in the industry who know what quality/quantity of work you do, start calling them now.

Oh, and Donut's right: get your stuff off the computer, get your files out of the desk drawers. Get that portfolio put together now.

i would also suggest that when you do begin interviewing, try to find a position with a lot more structure to it, at least as far as job description/responsibility and chain-of-command are concerned.

you're - and i mean no offence, since i am one too - one of those "give 'em enough rope" people.

i'd recommend redoing the catalogue in your free time, only doing it for alecholland, not your boss. put your own design spin on it, explore your creativity. this way, when you show it to potential companies, they will have a true idea of the kind of work you want to do, rather than that which you felt obligated to do, having worked for stone idjits

i would also suggest that when you do begin interviewing, try to find a position with a lot more structure to it, at least as far as job description/responsibility and chain-of-command are concerned.

Great point. That was one of the problems at my last position - people's roles & responsibilities weren't always clearly defined, so if they found someone who was willing to take on some of the "I have no idea who's supposed to do this", they'd give them as much as they wanted.

Yep. You need to quit immediately.

If you haven't had a vacation in many years, you should have some loot saved up to get you by in the meantime.

Don't sweat a gap in employment. I quit my job last May and didn't start looking for a new one until September. I found one, in a brand new town (ie, I had NO connections at all) after only a few weeks. The break was frikkin' sweet. It sounds like you've been a loyal employee, same place for many years. That's what potential employers will see; that you aren't a "job-jumper".

I did some landscape work with a buddy for a few weeks who has a company so I wouldn't be totally bored. It was a nice change being outside for a bit, instead of being stuck behind a desk.

Leaving a job can be a scary thing, but if you hate it and it makes you miserable (and it sounds like yours does), quit. Life is way too short to be miserable for a better portion of each and every day.

You will not regret it. Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

pretty much like everyone has said...

there is a thing called getting your Sh*t together...

and that is what you need to do.

being a Designer is TOUGH no matter where you go

trust me I have been in the business since paste up lettering.

(I did that for a company before I decided to get my college degree

in the 90's)

to me there is never any respect because everyone believes that you

are just making "pretty pictures on a computer" or they are just plain and

simple jealous because they lack the talent to do what you do.

I used to work at an Ad Agency and pull the same amount of hours

and gone through so the same insane BS you are dealing with now.

I would definitely find something else...

And be as nonchalant and coy as I could about it

(don't ever let them know you are going to leave until you have a solid

job offer and are ready to go) so take your time and do it right -

you career is riding on it.

before that I would play the sick card and use this time off to:

1 - finetooth comb your resume and update it

2 - mass mail your resume to double the amount of people that you think you will need

3 -update your portfolio (online first if you can)

4 - If you have time do something creative to get you that dream job...

remember you are now fighting for positions with thousands of kids that just got out of school

(ex. I had a buddy of mine do something funny and creative to get an interview at a firm

he really liked. He hand made a small little black box that had a note on the top that said

"I have already done the work for you". Inside the box is a copy of his resume balled up

and seemingly ready to be thrown in the trash. Genius! Even though that shines a somewhat

negative light on his appearance, who knows maybe that is what they are looking for, because

he got the interview and the job.

Also when you go to that next job here is a little tip

(never let them know how good you really are)

If you can turn a project into gold in a matter of minutes

they will expect that every time. I usually do enough to let them know

I am working hard, but never do I let them know that I could easily do the layouts

in almost half the time it takes me. I am an under the gun type of designer that

produces my best work under pressure and if these guys knew that I'd be doing 10

times the work. So a big tip is finding out what the expectations are before you start

and if you can blow that away I'd save it for a rainy day.

Oh well, what the F do I know anyway...

thumbsup2.gif

AH, sorry to hear about your situation. I recently left a family-owned company that became a similar situation. It happened over a period of years. I wanted to move up, so I took on more and more responsibility. I eventually saw that they were more than happy to take as much as I wanted to give.

But when it was their turn to give, forget it. I had to nearly quit to get a promotion and a raise after 2 people in my dept. left (one of whom was my manager, whose position was eliminated after he left) and I was doing ALL of the work. I even had to train our graphic artist to do some of it because I couldn't do it all.

Sounds like your company does not value you or what you do, and that is NOT likely to change. Ever. They value what they value, and that's it. They pay some people well, and others poorly. You want and need to find a company that values what YOU do and what YOU bring to the table. There are companies out there that value what you do, and will pay you well for it. You've just got to go find them.

Add everything that you've done for them to your resume. Send your resume to as many different places as you possibly can, and get the heck outta there. That place is NOT going to change because they are not interested in changing.

Here are a few things that I learned, realized, and had to come to terms with:

1. I was part of the problem. I had enabled/allowed it to happen. No one held a gun to my head and made me stay there all those years and take on the extra responsibilities. No one made me keep my mouth shut when I thought things were unfair (I eventually learned to start talking). No one made me stay late, come in there on weekends & holidays, and feel like I couldn't take any days off.

2. I had the choice to either stay and try to make things better and change things (which I did for a long time), or leave.

3. *I* have to take care of myself and balance my own life (work, family, time for myself/my hobbies). No one else can do it for me, but I HAVE to do it.

4. I cannot approach work like a relationship. In general, in *good* relationships, the more you give, the better things get, and it is recognized, appreciated, and reciprocated. Work is NOT a relationship. It's just work. I have to separate who I am from what I do, and not get my identity from work.

5. That job, as bad/discouraging/frustrating as it was, was just a chapter in my life - it's not the entire book. I could take the good, leave the bad, and start a new chapter. And I learned a LOT (mostly what I DON'T want in a job and in a company), so a lot of good came from it.

Hang in there, but get out of there as soon as you can. Best of luck to you!

You've summed up my experience and personality nicely. I have the type of personality that believes I can make a difference, which I can - at the right place. It's too bad it has taken me 7 years to realize this isn't the right place. No one else in this company busts their hump to get anything done, including the owners. They are on vacation most of the year. If they come in, it's just a couple times a week for an hour or two and that's usually only a few months out of the year. One of the owners actually told me that they like it that way, they don't really want to know what's going on. Basically it seems, as long as their paychecks aren't affected, they don't care.

I truly appreciate everyone's comments. I'm feeling a little more in control this morning and have made a plan for my departure that will not involve me burning the building down.

It is honestly (I say this with all humility, truly) no exaggeration to say that I have carried this company on my back for many years. I think it's time the owners took that burden back.

I've missed so much time with my family over the years it hurts. I missed my son's entire football season last year because of work. No amount of money can make up for those losses. I'm stopping today.

Certainly, you should have another job lined up, for safety's sake. But maybe it would do you some good to take a week or so off before you jump back into a situation where you'll start working 80+ hours a week, esp. if you haven't had a vacation since your honeymoon.

Yeah, if you're a workaholic, you'd probably be bored stiff & dying to return after 2 days away from a desk. Well, 2 days of relaxation would probably be good for you, better than nothing.

On the job-hunting front:

1. If you know the owner of the place pretty well, and/or you think he (she?) is a smart, honest person, simply sit down and have a long talk with him. Be honest about what's going on. Maybe you can get your present boss's job.

2. If there are any colleagues in the industry who know what quality/quantity of work you do, start calling them now.

Oh, and Donut's right: get your stuff off the computer, get your files out of the desk drawers. Get that portfolio put together now.

To be honest, I'm not really a workaholic, I just have something in me that will not let me do mediocre work. I care and take pride in the work that I do and want it to be the best I can.

I'd much rather be playing Guitar Hero, Rainbow Six, or Gears of War with my son than work. I'm a video game addict, luckily so is my wife.

I do plan on having a long talk with one of the owners, not my boss, and letting him know what is really going on around here. That's usually not my style, but it may be time. My immediate boss has worked here since the company was laminating maps for Gallop out of the owner's garage. They are all close friends and have been since they were kids. Nothing is going to change on that front.

i would burn that mother down.

Ever seen office space? That is exactly my life. I have at least 6 different bosses on any given day, including apparently my bosses 16 year old daughter.

They have birthday parties in the breakroom (seems like everyday sometimes) or they grill outdoors many Fridays during the summer and no one ever bothers to come in and tell me or asks me if I'd like to participate.

"Um, last time, I did not recieve a piece, and I was told that I that I would receive a piece of cake..." - Milton

Our company "Christmas dinner" has taken place here in the building the last few years to save money. They do have food catered from a local barbeque joint, but they tell us we can't have more than one guest. In the meantime the owners and my boss bring every single one of their family members (they all have large, large families) and every friend they have that lives in this area. Their group sits in the breakroom to eat which has been decorated and has lit candles at every table, while all the employees sit at folding tables in the production room (which is extremely noisy and dirty) and eat. Merry freakin' Christmas. I did get a bonus check last year based on my performance and value to the company. It was $50 before taxes and insurance were taken out. My wife works in a 3 person office and she got $500.

It's not really a big deal, but it continually adds to my feeling of incredibly low moral.

It's not really a big deal, but it continually adds to my feeling of incredibly low moral.

I have to disagree with you here - it's a HUGE deal. The little things add up to big things. Anything that is that lopsided is bound to give you permanent heartburn. It's ridiculously obvious that they do NOT value you or what you do, and they are NOT interested in making things fair for everyone.

They'll never leave because they've got such a sweet deal. Good for them, but it sounds like they're being VERY selfish and shallow w/ it. That will come back to bite them in the long run, trust me.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to leave and enjoy that company getting smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror of your life while you MOVE ON.

It time to stop beyotchin' on a comic board and...

Drop That Zero and get you a Hero!

hi.gif

Indeed. sumo.gif I intend to do just that.

One last funny thing tho. I just talked to one of the owners on the phone and suggested that maybe he, the other owner, and my boss get together and discuss exactly what they want in their catalog since everyone has completely opposite ideas about it and he said he was going to be gone for about another week and really wouldn't be able to do that. He's in town today. confused-smiley-013.gif They all are. He wouldn't be able to come in today so that his companies catalog is the way everyone wants it? The most important and most expensive piece of marketing we have? screwy.gif

Ok, back to work and back to comics. No more whining. 7 years of this doo doo finally broke me. Thanks again for everyone's comments. hail.gif

One last funny thing tho. I just talked to one of the owners on the phone and suggested that maybe he, the other owner, and my boss get together and discuss exactly what they want in their catalog since everyone has completely opposite ideas about it and he said he was going to be gone for about another week and really wouldn't be able to do that. He's in town today. confused-smiley-013.gif They all are. He wouldn't be able to come in today so that his companies catalog is the way everyone wants it? The most important and most expensive piece of marketing we have?

Oy vey. People like that drive me NUTS. How the heck did they get this far? Oh that's right, because of people like you doing their work for them.

Quit enabling them to be a bunch of spoiled, lazy BRATS and go find a company that values what you do and pays you well for it. Leave them; they are blind guides.