• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK 181........the most undervalued, overlooked, unapreciated key ever!

84 posts in this topic

I think they were hopeful of the Wolverine character anyway.. they were starting to promote his arrival as early as Hulk 179. The last page announced "Wendigo and a Special Guest Star" .. or something like that.

WHAT????????????????????????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

There is a smidgen of a hint of a mention of Wolverine in Hulk #179??!!! I had no idea!! BUY! BUY! BUY! Hulk #179 is the next Hulk #180, if not the next Hulk #181!!! All those Hulk #180-#182 collections out there are not complete without a slabbed super high grade copy of Hulk #179!!

Speculat-, uh, I mean collectors...on your marks...get set...GO!!! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Gene tongue.gifgrin.gif

Bite me! tongue.gif ...I knew I'd hear something from one or both of you 893frustrated.gif

Seriously though, is that common?

What about the rest of my interesting post you negative, nut-bustin' dipwad? grin.giftongue.gifboo.gif

I think they were hopeful of the Wolverine character anyway.. they were starting to promote his arrival as early as Hulk 179. The last page announced "Wendigo and a Special Guest Star" .. or something like that.

WHAT????????????????????????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

There is a smidgen of a hint of a mention of Wolverine in Hulk #179??!!! I had no idea!! BUY! BUY! BUY! Hulk #179 is the next Hulk #180, if not the next Hulk #181!!! All those Hulk #180-#182 collections out there are not complete without a slabbed super high grade copy of Hulk #179!!

Speculat-, uh, I mean collectors...on your marks...get set...GO!!! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Gene tongue.gifgrin.gif

Bite me! tongue.gif ...I knew I'd hear something from one or both of you 893frustrated.gif

Seriously though, is that common?

What about the rest of my interesting post you negative, nut-bustin' dipwad? grin.giftongue.gifboo.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

doooh! you threw me off. I thought you were busitn' on the same thing gene was... BUT amazingly you weren't!

Don't you think it would have been cool if the other characters had 1st app. outside of GS1?... even if you don't like the retro idea?

==========

Sounds like a series Marvel could still do it... "untold stories of the New X-men before GS 1"...put Byrne and Austin together and MAKE them do it.

Bruce once again shows us exactly what is wrong with comics today.

Or as Stan used to say, "Face Front, True Believer!"

27_laughing.gif I'm not suggesting Hulk 179 is anything to buy tongue.gif sheesh, guy can't have an opinion 'bout nuttin' round heya.

I just think they may have been higher on Wolvie than the rest... but I guess I'm biased since I have 400 Hulk 179's all waiting to be sold as the "1st mention of Wolverine as a guest star" 27_laughing.gif

Again, I ask..what about the rest of my post you ninny insane.gifstooges.gifsumo.gifflamed.gif

I was just busting your chops, man! grin.gif

As for your pre-GS1 Tales of the New X-Men idea, I'm not sure how that would work given that GS1 established that Nightcrawler was in a traveling circus in Germany, Colossus was in a Soviet collective, etc. Doesn't seem like they would have any interaction with the rest of the Marvel Universe (though they did manage to work in a pre-GS1 appearance by Storm in "X-Men: The Hidden Years").

There are too many X-titles out there anyway! If you're going to get Byrne and Austin back together, just put them into Uncanny X-Men and make that title readable again!

Gene

Don't you think it would have been cool if the other characters had 1st app. outside of GS1?... even if you don't like the retro idea?

Sure, but there is too much of this retro-crapola in current comics, and I really don't think we need a "Hidden Years: New X-Men" book. makepoint.gif

i've always enjoyed the brian bolland back up stories in classic x-men

Weren't those stories drawn by John Bolton??? confused.gif

I agree, those were great. My favorite was the one where Jean & Logan are trapped together in Jean's force field, which is the only thing protecting them from tons of little monsters at a chemical factory, which soon totally cover the TK shield, leaving the reader to wonder what's going on with Jean & Logan underneath.

Eventually, all the creatures get blown up and Cyclops finds Jean & Logan and asks if they are all right, to which Logan coolly replies while walking off, "Best time I've had in months". Now that's the Wolverine I remember!

- Gene

Only a 9.6 White... If you were paying attention you'd have noticed I did NOT go hard after the 9.8 copy posted months ago by Savage_Sword tongue.gifgrin.gif

Just kidding Bruce. smirk.gif

I bought an ASM 126 because it features the 1st mention of Harry as the Green Goblin. confused-smiley-013.gif

And I HATE the KANGAROO 893frustrated.gif

Weren't those stories drawn by John Bolton???

I agree, those were great. My favorite was the one where Jean & Logan are trapped together in Jean's force field, which is the only thing protecting them from tons of little monsters at a chemical factory, which soon totally cover the TK shield, leaving the reader to wonder what's going on with Jean & Logan underneath.

Eventually, all the creatures get blown up and Cyclops finds Jean & Logan and asks if they are all right, to which Logan coolly replies while walking off, "Best time I've had in months". Now that's the Wolverine I remember!

- Gene

YES! shocked.gif you are correct! acclaim.gif the whole wolvie love triangle was great back in those days, even up to her "supposed" death in X-Men 137. confused-smiley-013.gif classic stuff! cloud9.gif

I agree, those were great.

You guys are giving me a headache. Those backups in Classic X-Men stand as a testament to how much better a writer Claremont (with Byrne) was during his early X-Men work. His work was so tight back then it wasn't funny, and those back-ups showed just how far he'd fallen.

Most of that stuff is utter tripe, and Claremont got the same point across in the 70's using one or two panels (like in the Cracklin' Rosa, or Colossus bags some native girls ones) instead of having to use multiple pages in the back-ups.

And worst of all, some of the stories were just plain drek, like that Nightcrawler one (while the X-Men were on the freighter to japan) where he rescues a poor damsel from a demon religious sect 893whatthe.gif, or that bizarro Storm episode in the Savage Land when she meets up with the flying dogs and those zany lady pilots.

WTF?

And my absolute fave has to be that crappy Halloween party, where all the X-Men are brought in to corral a supposed wife-murderer (a step down from fighting Magneto to be sure) and Cyclops thinks he's flirting with a mystery gal, when it's really (gasp) Jean! She reveals a face-full of Jonah Hex-like scars, Cyclops bolts, but then after foiling the attempted murder, and and discovering it's actually Jean, he says:

"Can I kiss you, scars and all"

Now that's some writing!!! 893frustrated.gif

once again thanks for your comment, 27_laughing.gif im just surprised you didn't rip the covers by arthur adams. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, I've got high standards when it comes to any writing, and I personally think the Classic X-Men back-ups are among the worst written tripe I've had the misfortune of reading.

And on the subject of covers, it doesn't get any better than Ka-Zar and his red suede outfit. Seems perfect for living in the jungle... 27_laughing.gif

17292128602.21.gif

Most of that stuff is utter tripe, and Claremont got the same point across in the 70's using one or two panels (like in the Cracklin' Rosa, or Colossus bags some native girls ones) instead of having to use multiple pages in the back-ups.

I agree with your point about the parsimonious use of panels in the old days versus today, where everything is needlessly drawn out to fit conveniently into a TPB-friendly 6-issue storyline. However, I think the back-up stories in Classic X-Men were meant to be just that - back-ups focusing on one overlooked aspect of the reprinted story also contained within. Not all of them were good, but I thought many were. The writing was very mature, as was Bolton's drawing style (it was like his Twisted Tales work transposed to the X-Men). I recall buying a friend a subscription to Classic X-Men because I thought he would appreciate the back-up stories, which often focused on a problem a character(s) would have, and how he/she/they would deal with it. Anyway, to each his own...I still have very fond memories of those stories.

Gene

once again thanks for your comment, 27_laughing.gif im just surprised you didn't rip the covers by arthur adams. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, I've got high standards when it comes to any writing, and I personally think the Classic X-Men back-ups are among the worst written tripe I've had the misfortune of reading.

And on the subject of covers, it doesn't get any better than Ka-Zar and his red suede outfit. Seems perfect for living in the jungle... 27_laughing.gif

so even though it was one of the worst written tripe you've ever had the misfortune of reading, you continued to give up your money freely to buy the monthly issue? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

im just surprised you didn't rip the covers by arthur adams.

Some great covers by Adams on those books. Some of the best from the 80's in fact. I think the new back up stories do suffer in comparison to the truly 'classic' Byrne/Claremont stuff, but what doesn't?