• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! More Tomato Boxers SOLD!!!

31 posts in this topic

These books are all Original Owner books from my private collection of Tomato Boxers. For those of you who don't know, these are books that I bought off the rack when I was a young'un and stored in plastic bags without boards, in flat stacks alternating spines every 10 issues. These were then stored in food-grade parafin-coated Tomato Boxes for about 30 years without being touched, in a basement-level closet of my family's house in the Connecticut River Valley. Consequently, the page color is outstanding. These books have never been pressed or manipulated in any way, shape or form. Any defects present were either caused by the printer, or by yours truly when I read the book. In 2002, the books were put into 4-mil Mylar archives with buffered fullbacks manufactured by E. Gerber, and stored on end in a standard GA short box. cool.gif

Domestic Shipping: $5

Canada Shipping: $9

International Shipping: $11

First takeit.gif / OFFERS BY PM / ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED! sumo.gif

Contrast the above books to this non-tomato boxer I purchased from an original owner collection . . . grin.gif

Avengers #33 Oct 1966 / VF+ 8.5 Cream Pages - $35 SOLD!!!

AV33ss.jpg

AV33bss.jpg

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif SOLD!!!

pull out the conan 24, i know you have one hiding in one of those boxes.

Unfortunately, it is gone already . . . sorry.gif but I still have this copy I picked up from cd4ever cloud9.gif

Unfortunately, it is gone already . . . sorry.gif but I still have this copy I picked up from cd4ever cloud9.gif

C24ss-1.jpg

takeit.gif

takeit.gif

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Ironically, #49 is probably the nicest of the books in this lot . . . and has yet to sell. Scans of black covers are as unjust as bright light and no makeup to a movie star . . . grin.gif I've yet to figure out how to compensate for this with a scan 893scratchchin-thumb.gif -- many sellers use a digital photograph instead. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Avengers #49 Feb 1968 / VF/NM 9.0 White Pages - $40

AV49s.jpg

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

The only metaphor better than this one is the one "powerman" used to explain why his beat-up VG Tales to Astonish with pieces missing (that he was calling NM) was "discriminated against" when compared to a CGC 9.4 copy...

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP.

Memory lane... cloud9.gif

jeez, i thought dave's analogy was pretty appropriate. scans tend to highlight certain flaws, such as hairline creases and back cover dirt