• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At What Point Will Shipping Costs Kill Your Online Sales?

77 posts in this topic

Domestic is still 'OK' but international is going to hell. I got into an argument recently on eBay with a gentleman from Canada who insisted there was a flat rate box that would fit close to 5 lbs of books and was only $9. We decided on $15 for the shipping price since he couldn't back it up with anything else except quoting me the envelope price. The final shipping cost was $22 and I had to eat about how much the stupid books sold for anyways.

Well, there isn't. Your best bet at this point to Canada is UPS.

Nope, there is a flat rate international box now - just received them. Haven't figured out what the rate is yet though . . . insane.gif

New from the USPS today - when shipping International Priority you must use the pouch customs form - can no longer use the little green customs form. Christo_pull_hair.gif

You can use any old flat rate domestic boxes for international now. Canada rate is $21.85 if you pay and print your label online.

Domestic is still 'OK' but international is going to hell. I got into an argument recently on eBay with a gentleman from Canada who insisted there was a flat rate box that would fit close to 5 lbs of books and was only $9. We decided on $15 for the shipping price since he couldn't back it up with anything else except quoting me the envelope price. The final shipping cost was $22 and I had to eat about how much the stupid books sold for anyways.

This is true. UPS is beating the USPS to Canada almost acoss the board now. I am stunned. What a turnaround.

It won't last, UPS will raise rates - because they can. Fed Ex is loads more.

Flat Rate pricing to overseas is pretty much the only option now. I sell very few slabs, so that might have something to do with my ennui about shipping costs, but given the dramatic dollar slide, you're cutting your nose off if you don't sell overseas now.

You've picqued my interest. For the last 6 or 7 years now, I've been US only, but I'm curious about selling internationally now. Maybe it's not such s good option for someone like myself who doesn't sell a uniform line of products, like comics.

Current shipping costs make selling 'cheapie books' completely unfeasible now. Time to start selling $1 books out on my driveway.....

I did just that and it worked rather well. No feeBay charges, Payoutyourasspal charges...just instant cash. cloud9.gif

I love that we live in a time when we can sell goods online and pay a total of about 10% in fees, compared to overhead costs of running a brick and mortar shop, or renting space in an antique mall or hobby store. Have you seen consignment fees? I think 10% is pretty reasonable (my average costs of eBay and PayPal combined).

I don't think the higher shipping costs will have much effect yet. The issue is availability. I do not live in a big back issue comic market like NYC.

Sadly, I don't think NYC is a good example of a big back issue comic market anymore. frown.gif

....Well, unless you mean cons. We do have those. confused-smiley-013.gif

Current shipping costs make selling 'cheapie books' completely unfeasible now. Time to start selling $1 books out on my driveway.....

I did just that and it worked rather well. No feeBay charges, Payoutyourasspal charges...just instant cash. cloud9.gif

I love that we live in a time when we can sell goods online and pay a total of about 10% in fees, compared to overhead costs of running a brick and mortar shop, or renting space in an antique mall or hobby store. Have you seen consignment fees? I think 10% is pretty reasonable (my average costs of eBay and PayPal combined).

We're talking about $1.00 comics here. Let's see, you pay $0.40 just to list it on eBay (already at 40%), then you still have your final value fee $0.05 @ (5.25%), then you have your Paypal fees $0.33 @ (2.9% + $0.30) - plus the 2.9% Paypal fees you'll also be eating out of your shipping costs added to the total price of your sale.

So, for your $1.00 eBay sale, you're likely netting $0.22. Now, if you were shipping Priority which would be $4.60, you can take off another $0.13 for the Paypal charges applied to that extra amount. Now, your net is $0.09.

91% fees for eBay and Paypal and 9% net to the customer selling $1.00 comics. The driveway option sounds terrific to me.

I really hope you're joking. The reason UPS *seems* so cheap is because they ream out the recipient with often-fraudulent customs and duties charges. A $10 book might incur $30-$40 in charges.

The only reason for any US seller to send UPS to Canada would be if you want a pile of negs.

It already has.

Shipping a comic from Canada with the proper packaging now cost me between $8-12. Who wants to pay more for shipping then they paid for the comic?? I have also stopped buying single issues online, its not worth it unless its an old back issue that I really want.

I really hope you're joking. The reason UPS *seems* so cheap is because they ream out the recipient with often-fraudulent customs and duties charges. A $10 book might incur $30-$40 in charges.

The only reason for any US seller to send UPS to Canada would be if you want a pile of negs.

This is true. We have daily UPS pickup at work and they're great for domestic shipping. But we never use them for Canada because every package we've ever tried to ship with them has gotten hung up at customs.

We're talking about $1.00 comics here. Let's see, you pay $0.40 just to list it on eBay (already at 40%), then you still have your final value fee $0.05 @ (5.25%), then you have your Paypal fees $0.33 @ (2.9% + $0.30) - plus the 2.9% Paypal fees you'll also be eating out of your shipping costs added to the total price of your sale.

So, for your $1.00 eBay sale, you're likely netting $0.22. Now, if you were shipping Priority which would be $4.60, you can take off another $0.13 for the Paypal charges applied to that extra amount. Now, your net is $0.09.

91% fees for eBay and Paypal and 9% net to the customer selling $1.00 comics. The driveway option sounds terrific to me.

Thats why it is easier to list lots (usually 50 to 60) in one sale. Shipping domestically is never more than $9 and you don't get killed on listing fee's. Fee's alone for 50 books would be $20 but the same 50 book lot with a $9.99 starting price is still $0.40 cents.

Regarding International shipping you can ship up to 20 pounds in a flat rate priority box. I just mailed out 65 comics to Australia for $35.

Hi, joe_collector and All hi.gif

With a Priority Mail in a Flat Rate Box I can place up to six CGC graded comics very well packaged for the new rate of USPS $8.95 to anywhere in the USA.

The new First Class Interenational cost is at the limit most International customers will pay. Although there are persons who really want the comics and will pay what ever the cost of shipping is going to be for that package.

I have been selling comics on eBay for over 9 years and I try to send Priority Mail by exact weight, no handling charges!

AAJ

SIX SLABS? 893whatthe.gif

I can do no more than 4 actually... and I feel comfortable with 3 usually.

How do you package them?

They will fit in there but it does not leave enough room for packing material in my opinion, and that box is to short. It is almost the same length as a slab and I can only get 1/4" of packing material on each end. I don't like it because it leaves the slabs vulnerable to damage from an end impact on the box.

International shipping has really gone insane. I just had a long discussion with an ebay buyer about why it cost $25 to send 4 raw comics to Australia. It was only $16 via First class international, but I don't like the fact that the USPS will not publish an ETA. I just sent three slabs to the UK and it cost $44 with insurance. Also, the max amount of insurance you can get with Global Priority is $650.

I do try to work with folks though.

I sold a nice lot of books to a forum member from Niagra Falls (the Canada side)

I told him that if he knew a good person on the US side of NF I would ship it to him

to avoid the riddiculious cost of mailing it just over the north border.

Unfortunately he didn't,

but atleast I tried.

flowerred.gif

This is true. We have daily UPS pickup at work and they're great for domestic shipping. But we never use them for Canada because every package we've ever tried to ship with them has gotten hung up at customs.

I appreciate this information, because if you do a rate comparision, UPS wins hands down. Thanks!

Hi, joe_collector and All hi.gif

With a Priority Mail in a Flat Rate Box I can place up to six CGC graded comics very well packaged for the new rate of USPS $8.95 to anywhere in the USA.

The new First Class Interenational cost is at the limit most International customers will pay. Although there are persons who really want the comics and will pay what ever the cost of shipping is going to be for that package.

I have been selling comics on eBay for over 9 years and I try to send Priority Mail by exact weight, no handling charges!

AAJ

SIX SLABS? 893whatthe.gif

I can do no more than 4 actually... and I feel comfortable with 3 usually.

How do you package them?

They will fit in there but it does not leave enough room for packing material in my opinion, and that box is to short. It is almost the same length as a slab and I can only get 1/4" of packing material on each end. I don't like it because it leaves the slabs vulnerable to damage from an end impact on the box.

International shipping has really gone insane. I just had a long discussion with an ebay buyer about why it cost $25 to send 4 raw comics to Australia. It was only $16 via First class international, but I don't like the fact that the USPS will not publish an ETA. I just sent three slabs to the UK and it cost $44 with insurance. Also, the max amount of insurance you can get with Global Priority is $650.

I have to say I agree with you that the flat rate boxes are too short for slabs, unless you have some superior packing material. You need poly foam or something soft and spongy, otherwise it is bad news.

I even learned a trick from a board memeber to lengthen the boxes by about an inch. If you re-score and re-fold the flaps on either end about an 1/2 inch up, you can extend the box for that extra packing material.

Even with that extension, though, I had a group of four slabs arrive with corner cracks, and I ponied up the reholder fee for the buyer. USPS insurance claim is still pending. On that package, I used styrofoam and newspaper and buble wrap at the ends, but it wasn't enough. I'm going to stick with the 1095 boxes from now on.

For a long time I had spongy packing material and used this method to great effect, though. The risk seems to outweigh the gain, unfortuantely. Very little risk for slabs well packed in a 1095.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you want them all broken when they arrive, maybe.

I feel uncomfortable sending more than one, two is pushing it. I score the ends to get a little more space for top/bottom padding. Once you put in the requisite padding, it's hard to fit another slab in there.

It's just not worth it to me to have someone potentially ask me for $40-$60 to get the books reholdered when they arrive cracked. And I have my doubts insurance will cover such a clear case of overstuffing a box.

The only upside is that now that the flatrate int'l envelopes are even more expensive, I might get more multiple purchases to save on shipping, but it's weird how often my int'l customers seem to have no problem paying $9-$11 to ship a $4-$10 book and don't buy anything else to spread out shipping costs. I emphasize that additional comics won't cost anything more to ship, but I don't get even additional $3 purchases 90% of the time. Perhaps if I had more selection/inventory.

Hi, sckao and ALL hi.gif

I seem to have some of the older Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes in stock because six slabbed comics fit just right in them. The newer Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes are somewhat shorter as some of you have mentioned. Seems like all the Priority mail boxes have been downsized with thinner carboard, this happened about two or three years ago.

I package the comics with cardboard between each slabbed comic and cross tape the bundle so they don't move around, them I wrap small bubble wrap or thick crumpled paper around the bundle. I also place bubble wrap or paper on the ends of the package. The package is heavy but secure, really.

Over the years I have not had any broken CGC slabs because of my packaging skills, I might have been lucky. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AAJ

My mistake, I should have clarified, I was referring more to the "feeBay" and "payoutyourasspal" nicknames rather than the actual post topic. I participate on other eBay-related forums, and start to tire of hearing about how they're "raping" us in increased fees. All in all, I think it's the best option out there. Sure, we'd all like to pay NO fees, but how realistic is that? As for the $1 comic topic, I don't sell anything less than $5, because you're right, the flat-rate fees (listing fees & 35¢ PayPal fee) kill you until you get to about $5. If you sell $1 comics, group them in lots of 5.

I have a fee spreadsheet I created, and for lower dollar items, an eBay store works best. Because the flat listing fee is only 6¢ with gallery, so the 10% final value fee doesn't hurt you with lower priced items. In a store, you get to keep $1.24 of a $2 sale after eBay and PayPal fees. That's 62%. You keep 70% of a $3 sale. In a typical eBay auction, you'd only keep 32% of a $2 sale, and 52% of a $3 sale.

Don't get me started on fee analysis.

Back to the topic, I heard today on eBay Radio that this summer, they're going to roll out a new feature to sort by total price, with shipping. This will weed out those charging alot for shipping. Or I should say, this will allow those who keep shipping costs down to differentiate themselves.

Nope, there is a flat rate international box now - just received them. Haven't figured out what the rate is yet though . . . insane.gif

New from the USPS today - when shipping International Priority you must use the pouch customs form - can no longer use the little green customs form. Christo_pull_hair.gif

You can use any old flat rate domestic boxes for international now. Canada rate is $21.85 if you pay and print your label online.

And to the rest of the world, Mr. Postman? poke2.gif

Thanks!

btw, the new flat rate boxes are smaller. gossip.gif