• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike McKone original art

6 posts in this topic

I haven't checked it out yet, but I've also really enjoyed his work. His Teen Titans stuff was phenominal. I gotta check out the FF stuff. The way your'e asking makes me think something's amiss?

Eaton's great too. I loved his work on Thor a while back. Saw some pages he did with Cam Smith inks and was really blown away by them. Really good stuff.

My opinion ... McKone's art, and many others these days, look better in their original inked state than the final production. McKone's art on Teen Titans looked way better raw. It was way more vivid and detailed. Once the muted one tone colours were slapped on it took on a much less dramatic look. Not that it looked bad but I honestly feel the uncoloured works were far nicer.

With respect to his FF work ... the majority of Marvel's colouring is terribly muted and boring and I would not be surprised if the raw art was far more appealing. McKone's art in FF looks really boring compared to his Teen Titans work and I highly doubt that he lost his talent in the move. I really dislike a large portion of Marvel's colouring. DC's, for the most part, is only slightly better (their colour though is still not as good as it used to be either imo).

It was especially evident to me when you see how amazing Larroca's art on FF (when they started renumbering it after that Zeroes Reborn garbage) was with the super vibrant colours and gradients giving the art a nice dimensionality to it. All light pencils/inks are well preserved. His art on X-Men on the otherhand look plain and boring with the flat colour and lacking gradients. Any soft touches applied by the penciling or inks were just .... lost.

I have some Drew Johnson Wonder Woman pages and though the colouring on that book was not as stark as X-Men they are still very flat colours and Drew and Ray's work just doesn't look as vibrant as the unfinished page.

I agree with what you guys are saying about the colors. I was going to put the original art and frame it with the comic page, but the color was so ugly I decided to just frame the pages. I really like Mike's detail. The reason I was asking about him was I read a lot about how he is a fan favorite, people really like his talent(I am one of them), but his original art comic pages don't go for tons (which is good for me, otherwise I would not be able to afford them). But I was thinking about who is going to be this generations Perez, Mignola, Cockrum, guys that pages were once affordable that are now way out of my price range.

I though Ron Lim would be in that same group, but his pages just never soared.

But LMK who you guys think will be the super artist in the near future(10 years)

DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.