• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VG+? That's close to NM, right?

21 posts in this topic

Someone isn't paying much attention to the actual words they're publishing in their auction descriptions. Next week on Fox: "When canned descriptions go bad!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=727221017

"You read the description correct. This is for a CGC graded 4.5 copy of The Amazing Spider-Man 159 from August of 1976. While hardly rare in high grade with a 25 cent cover, it is almost impossible to find in a 30 cent cover.In fact you will be hard pressed to find any of the Marvel 30 cent variants. I just managed to find one in close to NM, so this is ripe for somebody to add to their collection"

my point? My point is that the guy describes this book as "almost NM" because he has an uaction tmplate that he forgot to change with the different circumstances of this auction....

Um, I may be wrong here, but I read what he said as he just bought a copy of this book in NM so he's putting this one up for sale.

I guess we could get really crazy here and ask him what he's saying. Naw, there's nothing like getting it from the horses mouth to rune our fun here on the CGC board.

I've read his other auction descriptions and they are eerily similar to this one... Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=727224957

"You read the description correct. This is for a CGC graded 7.0 copy of The Incredible Hulk 200 from June of 1976. This baby is a sweet "WHITE". The only reason it is not closer to VF/NM is that it was at the top or bottom of the stack and had some minor bundling marks on the edges.While hardly rare in high grade with a 25 cent cover, it is almost impossible to find in a 30 cent cover.In fact you will be hard pressed to find any of the Marvel 30 cent variants. I just managed to find one in close to NM, so this is ripe for somebody to add to their collection"

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=727749372

"You read the description correct. This is for a CGC graded 8.5 copy of DOCTOR STRANGE 16 from July of 1976. While hardly rare in high grade with a 25 cent cover, it is almost impossible to find in a 30 cent cover.In fact you will be hard pressed to find any of the Marvel 30 cent variants. I just managed to find one in close to NM, so this is ripe for somebody to add to their collection"

Yea, there is definitely a pattern here. He may consider everything he's selling "close to NM". I guess by his standards my entire collection could be sold as "close to NM"? Hehehehe, that's kind of funny. laugh.gif

I'm kinda leaning towards the theory of he's trying to say he picked up a few nicer copies for himself of these variants, so he's giving someone a chance to add his old copies to their collection. He just doesn't explain himself well.

Or yes, it could be that old trick from setting up at shows:

you put a NM comic in the dead center of your display, then go on to describe every book on your display wall as "this is extremely close to a NM" and not be a liar.

Um, I may be wrong here, but I read what he said as he just bought a copy of this book in NM so he's putting this one up for sale.

I read it that way too. I think it is just poor wording and he is indeed trying to say "I just added a close to NM copy to my collection so I am taking this lesser graded one out of my collection and selling it." (which is also a bid awkward but gets the point across).

no, I don't see it that way at all. Practically all the guy sells are 30 cent variants. This is what he's selling right now:

GHOST RIDER 18 CGC 9.6 30 Cent Variant-WOW $299.99

THE DEFENDERS 38 CGC 9.2 30 Cent Variant-WOW $179.99

CHAMPIONS 6 CGC 9.0 30 CENT VARIANT $149.99

CHAMPIONS 5 CGC 8.5 30 CENT VARIANT $149.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL 45 CGC 9.0 30 Cent Variant-WOW $149.99

THE DEFENDERS 37 CGC 9.0 30 Cent Variant-WOW $149.99

THE AVENGERS 149 CGC 9.2 30 Cent Variant-WOW $149.99

DOCTOR STRANGE 14 CGC 8.5 30 CENT VARIANT $129.99

DOCTOR STRANGE 17 CGC 8.0 30 CENT VARIANT $129.99

DOCTOR STRANGE 16 CGC 16 30 CENT VARIANT $129.99

CAPTAIN AMERICA 199 CGC 9.0 30 Ct Variant-WOW $99.99

CAPTAIN AMERICA 198 CGC 8.5 30 Ct Variant-WOW $99.99

CAPTAIN AMERICA 197 CGC 9.0 30 Ct Variant-WOW $99.99

Black Panther 22 CGC 8.5 30 Cent Variant-WOW $99.99

CAPTAIN AMERICA 197 CGC 9.0 30 Ct Variant-WOW $99.99

Ghost Rider 19 CGC 7.5 30 CENT VARIANT $99.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL 44 CGC 7.5 30 Ct Variant-WOW $49.99

Incredible Hulk 200 CGC 7.0 30 Cent Variant $39.99 - Nov-01 16:17

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 159 CGC 4.5 30 Ct Variant

It doesn't look like he's keeping the nicer copies of anything... (If he's got any 30 cent variants better than 9.6 I'd like to see them smile.gif )

........i have dealt with this seller several times before, and he is a great guy and very reliable.........and no he doesn't only sell variants.............i have bought numerous cgc silver age books from him, and he always says in his desciptions that he has recently up-graded and is selling his lower grade copies...........

......i have no reason to doubt that this is the case here, mudbuddha i think it is a case of you misinterpreting his auction description (which i agree on these auctions is a bit misleading)............

.....but i will say again, this guy is a great seller!.......... grin.gif

no, I don't see it that way at all. Practically all the guy sells are 30 cent variants.

I do see it that way. I hit all if his auctions, as you did. But if you read all the secsriptions, the ones that are lower than around 9.0 have that "just got a nm so this is an opportunity" thing - but if you look at his higher grade ones that is not there.

It is pretty apparant this guy has collected variants and has lucked into a nice little batch of higher grades and he is upgrading his collection! So there! laugh.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh! I said something that ended up being correct and not everyone bowed down to me so now I'm going to talk about how I was right and you were wrong and I'm going to post this in every thread on the board and never ever ever stop bringing it up because it's the only time in my life I've ever been right about anything and I can't stand the thought of anyone ever forgetting this brief moment in time so I'm never going to shut my stinking pie hole because it feels so good to have my lips slapping against each other that if I stop I feel like I just might die...........

Yo, take a breather OldGuy or you might bust a gut.

Heck, being right is nothing new to me (it's actually a running gag with family and friends - If they say "you're right!", I say "and...." to which they reply "you're aaaalwaaays right") but if it bugs you so much, I'll quiet down a bit.

I wouldn't want to have your impending heart attack on my hands.