• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wizard World Philly Thread

37 posts in this topic

I figured it's Thursday night, Wizard World Philly opens in 13 hours, so why not start the thread where we can post what we brought home?

Anyone excited?

Anyone hoping to finish a run or grab a key issue while there?

I know Wizard Cons aren't everybody's favorite... but as long as there's a room full of long boxes filled with comics looking for a home... I'm down!

See you all over the weekend!

Gonnna make use of the "value tier" for the first time in a big way, and submit 40 books to CGC for Sarasota grading - that's always cool (until the grades arrive, at least wink.gif)

It's really a shame that Heroes overlaps, since there are a bunch of dealers who won't be in Philly. With that said, any show with the Blazing One, Ted, Joe V and the chance to chat with a slew of forumites is a fun show.

"silverandbronze" got an opportunity for a last-minute spot on the floor - Be sure to check out the Toon Tumbler booth!

And last I heard he had samples of the new group of Marvel heroes - I'm sure they won't be for sale but you might be able to get a peek.

Am I the only one that was disappointed by the lack of dealers at this show? The amount of golden age books seems to be far less than previous years. No Harley Yee, no Motor City, no Bedrock (that I saw).

More detailed report sometime late Saturday or perhaps Sunday night but for now:

Had a great time the past two days, dining out with Blazingbob, Ted VanLiew, Nick and his lovely wife Michelle. Tonight's dinner was spectacular -- sorry no pics -- with Nick, his wife, Bob Storms, Bob Siman, Andrew (GACollectibles), my friend Mary Ann, my fiancee Laura, skypinkblu and her husband Ned -- a great time was had by all.

Thursday was a fun night -- hit Vietnam restaurant -- with some of the above group. The setup day was fun to look around during the evening -- but nothing blew me away.

Friday: show generally decent for a Friday, but the show was thin with dealers. Nationwide, Dave Reynolds, Al Stoltz, Jeff Weaver, Bob Storms, Joe Verenault, Steve Ritter, TedVanliew, Dave Kepelka and Bechera Malouf were the major dealers present. Most of the rest were dollar bin guys or trade paperback dealers -- and for the most part, I think they did fine.

Pickups:

Captain America 100 CGC 9.4

Captain America 120 CGC 9.6 (Bowling Green Copy)

Captain America 123 CGC 9.6 (Bowling Green Copy)

ASM 15 9.0

ASM 53 9.4

ASM 124 9.4

Avengers 3 7.0/7.5

Not a bad day!

I won't be returning Saturday or Sunday most likely -- but who knows -- maybe Sunday just for a little bit.

Moe's Attic was there and Graham Crackers and GA Collectibles...I bought a MM#2 (coverless) for a friend, a tough book to find ....could not find my WW #6, found a few GA Supermen for another friend...but I had a great time meeting the people at the dinner, very nice people there...Great to meet Brian and Bob and Paul....and Bob and everyone else I missed naming...or I hadn't met before, but especially ((Nick))) who I have spoken to online for years but never met in person and his wife Michelle, is just THE best...the dinner was a lot of fun...:)

I went to help out Paul sell glasses, the new ones looked good; Daredevil, Capt. America, Avengers, Invaders, Nova, and one that's escaping me.

Was nice to meet Mr Muts, MutantKeys too.

Didn't really buy much, just haven't been in the mood lately.

I was thinking about taking home one of the Princess Leia's in Jabba the Hut slave gear, but decided the wife wouldn't be happy with that so I left with a few dollar books. The Elektra I would have taken home, but it looked like she was with some guy already.

went to help out Paul sell glasses, the new ones looked good; Daredevil, Capt. America, Avengers, Invaders, Nova, and one that's escaping me.

The other was Moon Knight. I agree those new tumblers are fantastic. I dont even like Nova but will definately be picking that one up along with the others.

I enjoyed hanging out with Paul and you during later part of the day helping sell the tumblers. It was nice to meet Bronze Jbone, Silvers24, and GA collectibles. After the con Paul and I had dinner along with Bob Storms, Ted from Superworld, GAcollectibles and one older gentleman whos name I didnt catch. I had a great time thumbsup2.gif

went to help out Paul sell glasses, the new ones looked good; Daredevil, Capt. America, Avengers, Invaders, Nova, and one that's escaping me.

The other was Moon Knight. I agree those new tumblers are fantastic. I dont even like Nova but will definately be picking that one up along with the others.

I enjoyed hanging out with Paul and you during later part of the day helping sell the tumblers. It was nice to meet Bronze Jbone, Silvers24, and GA collectibles. After the con Paul and I had dinner along with Bob Storms, Ted from Superworld, GAcollectibles and one older gentleman whos name I didnt catch. I had a great time thumbsup2.gif

probably Mossow -- where'd you guys end up?

Thanks Brian. He was a very nice guy.

We had dinner at a restaurant located on the first floor of the Marriot hotel... no idea what the name was. The food was good but the company was even better.

Did you get a pic of Jacob?