• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Came Back for This?

324 posts in this topic

Take it from me, the grass is NOT greener on the law school side.

I knew this was coming. tongue.gif

Honestly, it wasn't something I decided overnight. I did my "due diligence" and most Lawyers and Law students I've spoken to have told me in great detail all the reasons why they regret going to Law school and wouldn't do it again if they could go back in time. I'm just stubborn, I guess.

Fair enough! thumbsup2.gif

I just want you to promise that when you realize in several years' time that you were completely wrong and I was completely right, you will let me know. poke2.gif

The only caveat is if you become a patent lawyer. Those guys have the best jobs in the world and truly love their jobs.

Looks like lawyering is a great career everywhere. Or not, as the case may be.

web page

Whiners.

Being self-employed also takes over your life and the stress that comes with the "hustle" is also tremendous. I already work hours that are comparable to big firm Lawyers and I don't have nearly as much security.

Gees. 32 pages. I'm surpised that nobody has done a poll as to how many miss JC

Good lord, at my job I get 10 threatening letters a day from convicted felons, primarily murderers and sex offenders.

I'm only responsible for two of those.

We own a steel plant and roughly 70% of our guys are felons. Hard to find good help these days. Let's see, i've got sex offenders, murders, gang-bangers.....honestly, when you get to know them they're pretty good people. If you can get by the whole they killed somebody thing.

Kids these days. stooges.gif

Looks like lawyering is a great career everywhere. Or not, as the case may be.

web page

Not much difference between English and American firms anymore, especially at the top tier. Attrition among associates is about the same (i.e., life at a law firm sucks equally on both sides of the Atlantic (and Pacific)).

Whiners.

Being self-employed also takes over your life and the stress that comes with the "hustle" is also tremendous. I already work hours that are comparable to big firm Lawyers and I don't have nearly as much security. Not to mention that my business has me surrounded by a bunch of uneducated, knuckle-dragging, wife abusing, alcoholic elevator mechanics who don't know how to do much more than change a fuse, yet they still get paid nearly 80K a year for their "efforts".

Yeah, but at least you're the boss. What you're forgetting is that at a law firm, your job takes over your life and is stressful, AND you're a peon with layers of bosses over you, most of whom like to remind you that you're a peon. One interesting thing about law firms is that most of the people who become partners get there because they're good at practicing law, and not because they're good at managing. Their interpersonal and management skills, or lack thereof, is rarely/never factored in when it comes time to determining who makes partner. But cheer up, if you go to work for one of the big US law firms, you only have to be an associate for 10-12 years! tongue.gif