• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strikin' Gold in Indiana

28 posts in this topic

Back in April, I found this nugget . . . .

superman1.jpg

At the time, I made an offer on the owners complete collection. He declined. He thought eBay was where he would get 10x what I was offering. I wished him luck and gave him my card. I put his eBay username on my watchlist. He listed Batman #8 a couple times. I knew his reserve was $500, so I made sure I was the highest bidder when it didn't hit the reserve -- just to let him know I still cared. Then I didn't see any listings from him.

Yesterday, I got a phone call. acclaim.gif

He wants to meet me and sell the complete collection to me.

We are meeting Monday at the same restaurant that I bought Superman #1.

I kept my notes from our first meeting. The list includes:

Action 30

Action 40

Action 50

Batman 8

Dectective 51

Dectective 54

Capt. Marvel 11

Green Lantern 14

Leading Comics #?

All have their covers attached and are complete.

Action 30 may be in Fine condition. Action 40 'would be' in Fine, if the cover was not torn down the middle. The rest are G\VG.

If all goes well, cover scans will be forthcoming . . .

img331.jpg

My memory on this one was faulty. I thought it would have graded higher. I wonder if there is anyway to clean up the cover. There is a brown residue that seems to be removable.

It does look good sitting on my trophy shelf. smile.gif

I was a little disappointed with the overall condition of the nine comics that I picked up. There are several comics with pin holes down the spine. The mother of the original owner thought sewing in thread would preserve them better. foreheadslap.gif I'm not sure if the thread was ever injected, or later removed.

If anyone on the board wants one or more comics PM me. I'll let them have first dibbs. Otherwise, the comics are probably destine for the eBay auction block.

Six more scans forthcoming.

Hello from a fellow Hoosier! I can share my golden age find--when I was a kid about twenty years ago my dad occasionally took me to the Goodwill store, which occasionally had a big stack of comics. One time I found an Adventure 247 (no back cover) and an Adventure 300 (good condition). Like a dumb kid, I thought I could make the white cover of Adventure 300 brighter by PAINTING the white areas of the cover with white paint!!! Needless to say, I saw right away that it was a mess, so I tried WASHING the paint off the Adventure 300 in the sink...Yep, I actually held the comic under the faucet! That once-Good comic made its way into the trash can. As for the Adventure 247--a local comic shop took advantage of me while I was selling a stash of 20 copies of my Marvel G.I.Joe # 1 to them; the comic clerk GENEROUSLY offered to pay me COVER PRICE for the then-hot G.I.Joe # 1s (the shop was selling them for $15 each at the time), and then the clerk quickly said "and that offer INCLUDES the Adventure 247." And I took the offer. Kids should never deal with comic shop owners themselves when selling comics--lesson learned.

Michael

As for the Adventure 247--a local comic shop took advantage of me while I was selling a stash of 20 copies of my Marvel G.I.Joe # 1 to them; the comic clerk GENEROUSLY offered to pay me COVER PRICE for the then-hot G.I.Joe # 1s (the shop was selling them for $15 each at the time), and then the clerk quickly said "and that offer INCLUDES the Adventure 247." And I took the offer. Kids should never deal with comic shop owners themselves when selling comics--lesson learned.

Michael

And would the comic shop owner's name be Chuck Rozanski by any chance? 27_laughing.gif

After all, if he could pick up 20,000 uber HG GA books for cover price, I don't see him having any problems paying you cover price for your books. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

img338.jpg

img337.jpg

Yep, you can see the little holes on the interior spine of the CMA #11. It does look like someone practiced sewing.

I love that #11 cover; one of my top 3 CM covers cloud9.gif

tabcom, your avatar is awesome!

Ditto. Very befitting.

I too hail from Indiana, wifes folks live in Auburn and we visit there 4-5 times a year.

Terrific find and a fun thread.

Ze-