• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con - Forum Report

129 posts in this topic

I wanted to get a con sketch, but artists just charge crazy money now for sketches. I don't understand how people pay it. I saw sketches generally costing $60-80, and as high as $300 for Mark Brooks.

To make a slight correction...Mark was charging $150 for full sized 11x17 sketches like mine and he spent almost the entire day Friday working on it. And it turned out super hot and incredibly beautiful.

Goblin Queen

He did do a $300 sketch for someone but it was full color 11x17 on cover stock with a full background and took even longer to complete.

He was the biggest bargain at that show for what he was producing....they looked like full on commissions and not "con sketches".

Chris

I saw him working on that Goblin Queen! Very Nice!

Wish I had known you were going to be at the show. Did you bring any of your trophy wall art? Would've loved to have seen that!

Mark is a dear friend of mine. He told me the reason he went up 50 dollars and it made sense. In addition to that they are well worth the price. Mark put at minimum 4 hours in the goblin queen and possibly 5 hours. he also uses a full line of copic markers and white paint for high detail. His prices are also cheap compared to some.

Dell Otto charges 500 for water color and finishes at least 3 a day maybe more.

Bolland is 500 for full figures and they are Black and White with not near as much detail as Mark.

I had Neal Adams do a custom sketch card for my collection while I was in new york.

Me and him are kinda buddies and it still cost 100 for a head sketch on a 2 by 3 card.

And that was at a discount over his normal rate.

Frank Miller won't do commissions it wouldn't matter how much you offer.

So when you think commissions are high remember others charge more.

there were cheap commissions to be had though. Tim Seeley was doing full figure commissions for 35.00, I believe that was tom lyle's rate aswell.

Mark is a dear friend of mine. He told me the reason he went up 50 dollars and it made sense. In addition to that they are well worth the price. Mark put at minimum 4 hours in the goblin queen and possibly 5 hours. he also uses a full line of copic markers and white paint for high detail. His prices are also cheap compared to some.

Mark's commission rates are a steal for the effort, time and materials used.

Those copic markers cost over $400 all by themselves.

And yes that Goblin Queen took almost the entire day Friday.

I told him he was crazy...every time I thought the piece was done he added a little more detail....and then another layer....and then more detail.

When you break it down by the hour he is being paid only slightly more than a bowl of rice an hour...the kids making Nike shoes might be faring better.

Mark's worth alot more than he is charging.

Chris

Me and the fiance woke up early saturday morning (4am) and left Jacksonville at 5 am. After a few red bulls and a 5 hour drive we arrived in Charlotte. We couldnt check into the Westin until 3 so we found a place to park and headed over to the convention.

000_0025.jpg

We got there right as it started and the line was crazy long. She was amazed at how many people actually go to these things. Once we got our wristbands we got inside and i was slightly overwhelmed and didnt know where to start.

Heres a top view picture of the convention floor.

000_0012.jpg

I also went right to Harley Yee and looked at his books. Most of his stuff was out of my league so i skimmed around and went on. We walked for about an hour and half just looking at what everyone had to offer. Like everyone has said, lots of junk stuff and the wall books in high grade were usually astronomical prices. But if you looked long enough you could find some good deals.

I had never met Crazy Ed before and everyones stories about him are completly true. All i did was stop and glance at his books and before i knew it i was dragged behind his counter being on the recieving end of the sales pitch. Everytime i tried saying thanks alot he would say "stay just another minute and im sure youll buy something." The guy really turned me off.

Ashley was getting tired of walking by this point so we went and checked into the hotel at 3. Heres a picture of the Westin for those who have never been.

000_0049.jpg

The view from our room. 19th floor.

000_0018.jpg

After she rested up we headed back and i made my way over to Bretts Comic Pile. I made my biggest purchase of the con with a nicely graded Incredible Hulk 181 .

Heres me with my new prized book.

000_0021.jpg

We wrapped up Saturday at the con and headed back to the hotel for the art auction. It of course started late but Rosario and Gus showed up and got everything off to a great start. Took some pictures of the art. I have some more that i will post later as well.

This sold for 1300$ i think.

000_0029.jpg

000_0032.jpg

000_0031.jpg

We called it a night and retired. I was beat.

The next day we got to the con around 11 and my whole goal was to buy cheap stuff to fill runs. I didnt do that and instead bought more wall books. Picked up an Amazing Adventure #11, X-Men 50 (steranko cover), Punisher #1 9.6, Uncanny X-Men 213 for 5 bucks and a 1st Jubilee for 5 bucks.

Heres me modeling some of those as well smile.gif

000_0045.jpg

Overall I had a really great time. I was glad to see so many young people out with their Dads and families. I saw one little guy dressed as Captain America, and a Dad and son duo of Batman and Robin and many others. Heroes really is a grass roots con and it was really nice to see the outpour of support for Shelton at the art auction when they brought out the cake and his wife spoke.

I do wish i could have met some of you guys but do to me being absent from here for a week blush.gif I couldnt get any solid plans made.

Ill post some more pics later on. Hope everyone else had good time!!

Heres me and some fish as well.

000_0002.jpg

nice report! i made a notation on one of your pics...

27_laughing.gif That is you! You can also see MrBedrock standing outside his booth!

yeah, you can see how freakishly tall he is.

that red blob next to me in the booth is finecomics. the camera adds a couple of pounds tho

Welcome back dave, it looks like you had a good time

and made out with some nice books.

_the nerf

thumbsup2.gif

Yea it was def a blast. My fiance was more excited to just be out of Jacksonville and in a bigger city that actually has buildings higher than 3 stories. smile.gif

nice report! i made a notation on one of your pics...

27_laughing.gif That is you! You can also see MrBedrock standing outside his booth!

You're much too humble Chris...you're in the pic as well...

chriscon.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Nice report, ON. It's great to see so many reports and everyone having so many positive Heroes experiences. Congrats on getting the 181 too! I've switched to OA, but I'd still like to get that book some day.

Thanks! As soon as i get a chance to scan it i will. Its really a nice copy. Ive been wanting one for a long time and felt now was the time to drop some loot on it.

It really is nice to see so many happy folks with this con.