• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 Cent Variant Spam from zencomics

30 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody-

I should have found this placve a long time ago, but was only just direcrted here by Carlos topday.

My thoughts on the 9.6's are as follows for those that think the prices were overly crazy:

The four issues that went off were:

Captain America 198 $261 or 11.88 times guide

Captain America 197 $282 or 12.79 times guide

Thor 249 $305 or 21 times guide

Warlock 12 $128 02 or 5.33 times guide (bought by me)

According to CBG 9.6 issues are currently selling at 5.9 times guide. Adjusting this for higher grade implies that these actually sold at the following adjusted multiples:

CA 198 11.86/5.9= 2.01

CA 197 12.79/5.9= 2.16

Thor 249 21/5.9= 3.55

Warlock 12 5.33/9= 0.90

Captain America is ranked as a "2" by Paul

Thor is ranked a "3" by Paul

Warlock is ranked a "3" by Paul

General analysis by myself has shown that 2's and 3's go at bout those multiples. I'm not sure it is an accident that Carlos won these books at the prices paid nor is it any surprise that the books were offered at the BIN prices originally offered.

The biggest obstacle to determining fair pricing in these issues is calculating "intrtinsic" value and "variant" value. For example an X-Men 99 in 9.6, non variant is likely to sell for upwards of $800-1000, if I had to guess. Despite the fact that the variant guides for more, it is not going to sell at 4 times that figure. This is because the real value is in the issue #99, not the variant. The variant for X-Men might in reality sells for about 2X guide.

On the other hand reprints are almost exclusively valuable yto to variant value, not the intrinsic value. Therefore it is important to distinguish what creates the vbalue and adjusty accordingly. Super hero comics are likely to have lower multiples and less popular issues are likely to have higher ratios.

The biggest problem is that Overstreet does noit even come close to poricing the basic variants correctly. For example they show all the Marvel Tale issues at NM only for $6. You would be lucky to find any of these in any shape for $10.

As an aside, I am trying to evaluate the value of some of teh scarcer issues. I own Chamber of Chills 23 in both a CGC 9.0 (top census) and a CGC 7.5. There might be one more graded issue.

In any case, I'd like some honest opinions as to what the value of this may be (not that I would sell either). It seems that a number of 5's have been going at close to 50X guide. I think that there is likeley an area that would be more suited to a 10 point system as not all 5's seem as rare to me. As well a a few 4's seem to be more rare than some 5's. I am interested in trying to develop a more useful pricing grauge based on real, not imagined data. I think Paul's list needs some modest modifications, at least.

Lastly I have one of the finer 30 cent collections around and am currently missing 6 issues. If you can help fill gaps, I have terrific variety (over 400 total issues) and very rare trade material as well. sumo.gif

NEED

Kid Colt 205 and 207

Two Gun Kid 131

Sgt Fury 133 and 134 (what else is new)

Weird Wonder Tales 16

Many thanks-feel free to e-maiol me at glenn@malloys.org if you want a private conversation