• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #2

34 posts in this topic

Yeah, on a book like that send it out and have it done if that is your intent.

Taking the staple out safely is tricky enough. But putting it back in correctly can be the really tricky part. And the paper around your staple might be very prone to further damage.(and am I correct in seeing the staple has partially popped through the cover?)

Kid gloves for sure, and some reinforcement might also be needed.

If anything, try it on a few reader copies just so you can see what is involved. Makes you appreciate a job well done all the more.

Ze-

Yes, you're right that the staple has partly popped through the cover. The paper is very brittle where the rust migration has happened and it would be very easy to cause further damage.

I'm in touch with Matt and have sent the scans so they can take a look at it. I've decided I won't attempt the replacement myself. I know my limitations!

Cheers.

Finally got word back from CGC on this one.

Here are the scans again, since the links to the original server don't work any more:

1f.jpg

1b1.jpg

1b.jpg

Those of you who said they'd hit the rust migration harshly were oh so right:

[font:Arial Black]Universal 4.5 - Cream to Off White pages [/font]

Yes, you're right that the staple has partly popped through the cover. The paper is very brittle where the rust migration has happened and it would be very easy to cause further damage.

I'm in touch with Matt and have sent the scans so they can take a look at it. I've decided I won't attempt the replacement myself. I know my limitations!

Cheers.

Since all the grades were given before this disclosure, I can see why CGC was so harsh. That being said, I'll take a 4.5 that looks like this every day of the week. :sumo::whistle:

Cheers.

Since all the grades were given before this disclosure, I can see why CGC was so harsh. That being said, I'll take a 4.5 that looks like this every day of the week. :sumo::whistle:

Actually I think CGC is right here, the rust looks pretty bad and while the rest of the book looks great the rust is very fugly.

Cheers.

I figured it was stating the obvious - and therefore didn't need stating - given the close-up scan of the staple showing how it had popped through the cover. :makepoint:;)

I'll live with it. It'll be the lowest graded slab in my collection - by a long shot.

It IS a very sweet copy otherwise. It's so nice, I was getting a little paranoid and thinking it'd come back PLOD.

I'll just avert my eyes from that staple when I look at the back cover. Pretend it doesn't exist.

ever think about getting this comic restored??

might be worth it???

I spoke to Matt about it, and he didn't think it would be worth it. I guess it's a choice of having a low Universal grade or a higher PLOD grade. If I were to ever sell it, I'd hope to find a collector who can look beyond the rust migration and appreciate the overall quality of this copy.

I really took a flyer on submitting this one to CGC. I was hoping it might get a bit higher grade, or even a Qualified grade... Now that I know how they've graded it, I might crack it out of the slab. A Universal 4.5 label isn't a big selling benefit! Not that I'd try to hide the condition of the book, if I WERE to sell it. But in the meantime, I can enjoy looking at the book.