• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC'S CURRENT COMPETITION

44 posts in this topic

Hi All. Im new here but I am 35 and started collecting around age 10 in the late 70s. I stopped around 1988 and resumed a few years ago. Anyway Ive got a collection of about 2000 books, hundreds in the 5-20 $ range and about 100 over 50 $ with 50 or so over 100 $ Is it worth it for me to send my top books to CGC ? My top books value 200 as high as 760 on Overstreet ( if my 20 years of grading xp serves me right ). I am suspicious of CGC and think theyre only in it to make money and set themselves up as the bona-fide last word when I doubt they are. Who is to say that a one-inch binder wear is equal to a 1/4 inch crease at the corner ? I know VG, F, VF, NM and M when I see it, why should I send my books to CGC ? Why does this have to be rocket science when dealing with books under 5,000 $ ? If I send, for example, Journey Into Mystery # 88 which I perceieve as in VF, and pay 30 $, is my book worth 30 $+ more to do so ? Is it worth it to have books under around 200 $ sent for CGC ? Another PROBLEM. I have hundreds of old Warren magazines ( Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella etc ). In some instances their worth outflanks my comics. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why CGC won't grade magazines, its the SAME THING ! All they have to do is make a larger casing for the magazine size. This discreapancy makes me wonder if CGC is merely trying to carve a niche in the comics grading monopoly.

I wouldn't send anything for CGC to grade unless it is worth over $200 or so because the fees are so high. Be sure of your grades before sending. Stuff I bought from Showcase New England like TOS #57 9.0-9.2, X-men #100 9.4 came back 7.0 and 8.5 respectively. An Avengers #10, Marvel Feature #1, Marvel Super-Hero #12, and Strange Tales #114 that I thought were 9.0 or better came back 8.0, 6.5, 7.0, and 8.0 respectively. The heartbreaker was a Strange Tales #110 that was sold to me as NM- that I thought was surely at least 9.0 and was offered $1,000 by Metropolis a few years back came back 6.5. I did have some stuff that came back graded at what I thought they would like Am. Spider-man #136 9.6, Tomb of Dracula #10 9.4, and Tales to Astonish #27 4.0. I would be reluctant to send anymore stuff that I perceive as 9.0. It is too expensive and too heartbreaking. If you can, get a second opinion on grading by a knowledgeable person before sending to CGC.

On Ebay right now, there are 28 CGG books, 40 3PG books, and 2521 books that are CGC graded.

What do you think will be the numbers about a year from now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

0 CGG, 0 3PG, 2521 CGC

Fire bad... Tree pretty...

56_08.jpg

grrrrr

arrrg

Mutant Enemy

xD

question-

in the long run, will it really matter? after all its in a holder to preserve its current grade.