• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killing Joke page hits Heritage...

42 posts in this topic

.... it might never make it to auction.... devil.gif

Hari's been notably absent from the boards lately. Maybe putting in a few extra hours at the hospital to make a pre-Heritage run. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm still here, guys! Just seriously focusing on my career at the moment, since it's been moving fast. But rest assured I still check the site relatively frequently, even if I have less time to actually post.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Good to see you're still around. Hope all is well.

Are you surprised to see this page pop up? I assume you still have your KJ art. What are your predictions for this particular page?

.... it might never make it to auction.... devil.gif

Hari's been notably absent from the boards lately. Maybe putting in a few extra hours at the hospital to make a pre-Heritage run. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm still here, guys! Just seriously focusing on my career at the moment, since it's been moving fast. But rest assured I still check the site relatively frequently, even if I have less time to actually post.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Good to see you're still around. Hope all is well.

Are you surprised to see this page pop up? I assume you still have your KJ art. What are your predictions for this particular page?

Yup, still have my pages. Tough to predict on this one. Last bonafide sale was 50% trade, and went for 23K in trade/cash, and priced out around 18K if it were all-cash. Incidentally, it was the page immediately following this one, pretty comparable in terms of quality. I also know of another page that went recently for 16K. Based on these numbers, at least 18K for the current one. But, as we all know, it really depends on who shows up to bid.

Yup, still have my pages. Tough to predict on this one. Last bonafide sale was 50% trade, and went for 23K in trade/cash, and priced out around 18K if it were all-cash. Incidentally, it was the page immediately following this one, pretty comparable in terms of quality. I also know of another page that went recently for 16K. Based on these numbers, at least 18K for the current one. But, as we all know, it really depends on who shows up to bid.

Nice to see you back, Hari.

Just for the record, though, my understanding is that the page following this one went for $20K cash/trade ($13K cash, $7K trade).

Good luck to all those bidding on this page. I have my own expectations about what this page will go for. It really depends if one BSD in particular wants it. I'm sure it will be a spirited battle regardless.

Depending on how badly Heritage wants the piece and/or conversely it will be to sell, they'll work with you on the 20% if you are the seller.

I'd highly doubt that the seller of this KJ page is paying 20% for them to sell it - maybe 5%

Depending on how badly Heritage wants the piece and/or conversely it will be to sell, they'll work with you on the 20% if you are the seller.

I'd highly doubt that the seller of this KJ page is paying 20% for them to sell it - maybe 5%

I know, Dave. They'll drop it entirely for some people. That's part of the reason the commission is going up on the buyer's side, since they really don't collect much from sellers anymore on the high-end pieces. But, still, it's the principle.

Gotta love the 20% fee heritage charges both parties.

40% sales commission. Should be criminal.

Another reason to hope Comiclink's auctions succeed- that's who I'm consigning to from this point forward.

Then again, I'll be watching the Heritage auction like I always do, so I can't preach it too much sorry.gif

Comiclink seems to be really hit or miss. Some piece they get top dollar for (FF 12 page) and some they don't seem to get near market (MTU #2 cover, some of those Hulk #3 pages, etc.)

If I had that KJ page though, I'd probably go the CL route since any of the buyers from Heritage would be pretty similar to the buyers on Heritage.

The real benefit on Heritage is that they have a rolodex of potential buyers that cross market. With CL, you're only getting comic and comic art buyers. With Heritage, you're getting comic, comic art, movies, baseball cards, and general memorabilia collectors. I don't think those collectors are out for a Simonson Thor page, but they may be enticed to a Kirby cover/splash or Ditko Spidey. To many other hobbyists, the prices realized for OA are still small potatoes and upon being told what things go for, often remark, "Is that it?" Doesn't necessarily mean they bid on it, but they also may. Is that worth 40% - depends on the final price realized. Unfortunately, you can't auction the same piece at two different places - and with auctioning - timing and bidding wars can spontaneously drive the price up to a level it may not reach again for some time...

I do agree with your statement about the "hit or miss" aspect with ComicLink and Heritage. I do agree that Heritage has a wider client base than ComicLink. Heritage also promotes it's higher profile pieces and Signature Auctions better than any other Auction site. They also charge accordingly (19.6 % buyer premium, 15% sellers premium(negotiable) and if you are unlucky enough, local sales tax where applicable, at the Chicago Wizard Con that would be an extra 8 3/4% which is why they do not have their Signature Auction in Chicago during the August Wizard show).

Most important, timing is everything. All it takes is two interested parties to create a bidding war. I should know, I have been on the wrong side of a few. Right now is the busiest part of the Original Comic Art collecting season. With San Diego, Heritage Signature(Geppi) and Wizard Chicago all occuring within less than a month, there is also a flurry of activity. Collectors see art they would like to acquire. They have pieces they would let go for the right price etc. After these events take place, I always find it interesting to see what becomes available in the marketplace once the acquirers' "buyers' remorse/reality" sets in.

I am curious about a few things. What is the reserve on this piece? Who is the seller? Most of us already know who has most of these works and most of the other "high profile" artworks. I have also noticed that lately whenever I sell, it is either to a very established collector or a collector that specializes in a particular artist or character. I really believe that there is serious upside left in this marketplace. Thus, the higher profile original artworks will become more closely held in fewer collections in the future.

I wonder who will walk away with this one? Someone who already owns a few of these KJ pages? A collector that specializes in Bolland? Someone new(doubt it)?

How high it goes? Will egos run amok? Is this the prize of this collecting season?

*******MY REAL QUESTION IS: Would the seller get more if he only solicited the few individuals that already own KJ pages and the 5-7 larger collectors (no selling fees) VS. paying the 15% commission to Heritage and see what the "Open Market" brings?

There is a reason that many of the larger sales in the art world are private and are never disclosed.

*******MY REAL QUESTION IS: Would the seller get more if he only solicited the few individuals that already own KJ pages and the 5-7 larger collectors (no selling fees) VS. paying the 15% commission to Heritage and see what the "Open Market" brings?

There is a reason that many of the larger sales in the art world are private and are never disclosed.

Hey Doug

Couple of points: how would the Seller know necessarily know who is in the "Killing Joke Club"? CAF is a recent innovation but I know of a number of pages that aren't displayed there. He can only target those who've chosen to (pay and) display.

If he has negotiated a low (or no) fee this could well be offset by the higher prices in the heat of an auction competition.

Offfered cold, he might get an offer in the high teens. In Heritage I don't see it failing to break the 20k mark.

Plus I personally like the fact that this auction could be blown open by the rank outsider who has already been written off by the "big boys", who's hungrier for it than they are.

Sometimes I forget we're talking about pieces of paper.

tongue.gif

Joseph

Joseph,

It is always a pleasure to hear from you.

You make some valid points.

I agree, if the owner is not really into the "scene" he may not have the ability to undertake "due dilligence" and conduct the proper discovery to determine the proper parties to solicit.

Another assumption is the seller would have to be known within this community and have a good reputation with ready references.

Assuming, we all know at least 2 or 3 collectors that have multiple KJ pages, add the few larger collectors with "Black Hole" collections. and inform them that this piece is available, they have 1 chance to submit a best bid with a minimum floor. If this floor is not met than this piece will hit the open market with representation by a major Auction House.

Certain collectors might pay not to have competition in the open market.

Again, there are many instances of private sales in the art world. This happens for a reason. All to often.