• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Ultimates" getting rebooted with new issue #1

46 posts in this topic

Did anyone read this news? I've read it in two different places in the past week, though I don't remember where. Issues #1-13 will comprise Ultimates Vol. 1 while Ultimates Vol. 2 will be a new 13-issue series starting with a new issue #1 (and will end Millar's commitment to the title). Millar had some lame reasoning for this move, saying that the Ultimates is like a movie franchise and that each "volume" would be like a distinct "movie". Ultimates Vol. 2 #1 is supposed to pick up some months (six?) after Ultimates Vol. 1 #13.

That is the lamest excuse for rebooting a title I've ever heard. All regular titles have defined storyarcs which end and then go on to the next one without rebooting. Sounds to me like Marvel needed an excuse to grab some big issue #1 sales. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Gene

...went to the shop last night to PU BM, ASM & Wolvie and the shop owner pointed it out. He was not very supportive of the idea and said he guessed Marvel though their [!@#%^&^] did'nt stink.

The Marvel Preview he showed me was "comic sized" double thick... with Mystique #1 included within. He mentioned that they were going to put in a "sold out" issue that was not going to be reprinted. It could actually be an affordabe way to read a few missed sold out issues?

Same old, same old, from Marvel....

Kinda useless to complain about it now. They've already screwed up the numbering on all titles with the exception of Uncanny and that'll only be a matter of time....

Jim

Same old, same old, from Marvel....

Kinda useless to complain about it now. They've already screwed up the numbering on all titles with the exception of Uncanny and that'll only be a matter of time....

Of course we're used to the crapola Marvel does with their renumbering, but I find it highly amusing that the new Ultimates speculators will get the short end of the stick.

Say bye-bye to any high values on Ultimates 1-13, as short-runs comics always get lost after a new #1 Volume is released.

Suckers!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Saw this news too... think it's an incredibly lame move on the part of Marvel to reboot... since when does a new storyarc mean that you have to start the whole series again. Plus, after this next arc, apparently Hitch and Millar are discontinuing with their involvement as per their contract.

since when does a new storyarc mean that you have to start the whole series again.

They obviously don't need a reason at all (other than having a new #1 out there). Why the hell did they have to reboot Peter Parker yet again? I still haven't figured their rational for that one.....

Jim

Say bye-bye to any high values on Ultimates 1-13, as short-runs comics always get lost after a new #1 Volume is released.

Yep....those formally scorching hot Authority and Astro City back issues have really kept their value even though brand new series' are now out there...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Yep....those formally scorching hot Authority and Astro City back issues have really kept their value even though brand new series' are now out there...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You don't need to tell me. I remember picking up some NM Authority 1-13 issues from the unsold 75-cent bin for reading (Wizard had highlighted the series that month, thus starting the specs going), and then when things got whacky I sold the early issues for more than a NM run of 1-29 is now going for...

Ooops, does that (and selling my early Valiants at the hype apex) make me a speculator, or just smart with my reading comix?

...an "after the fact" spec. and dealer to boot... damn profiteer.

Now your opinions from the perspective of a "pure fan" are forever diminished unless you send the profit to a comic charity.

BTW... you've always been a "speculator", just one of the other definitions.

Did anyone read this news? I've read it in two different places in the past week, though I don't remember where. Issues #1-13 will comprise Ultimates Vol. 1 while Ultimates Vol. 2 will be a new 13-issue series starting with a new issue #1 (and will end Millar's commitment to the title). Millar had some lame reasoning for this move, saying that the Ultimates is like a movie franchise and that each "volume" would be like a distinct "movie". Ultimates Vol. 2 #1 is supposed to pick up some months (six?) after Ultimates Vol. 1 #13.

That is the lamest excuse for rebooting a title I've ever heard. All regular titles have defined storyarcs which end and then go on to the next one without rebooting. Sounds to me like Marvel needed an excuse to grab some big issue #1 sales. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Gene

I am one of those people that got sick of Marvel in the early 90s with the multiple different issue #1s ala X-men and Spider-man, Die-cut covers, Gold and Silver foil covers, hologram etc... Just got back into collecting again a few years back and have loved most of the stuff they were doing. I like the updated stories going on in Marvel's Ultimate lines. However, if what you say is true it really pisses me off. There is no good freaking reason to start the numbering all over again! They are going to end up confusing regular people who just read comics for enjoyment and collectors who see the value of the Ultimates #1 volume 1 drop. I hope they forget the stupid gimmicks and just continue to produce quality comics. Kind of scaring me with the two different versions of FF #500. Anyhow, I will continue to make mine Marvel because I just don't like the DC characters. Guess Marvel assumes most people will be stupid like me and buy their stuff no matter what. 893frustrated.gif

Here's the scoop:

"Mark Millar announced that The Ultimates #13 will be the last issue of the series. The book will then relaunch with a new #1, and it will take place approximately six months after the conclusion of issue #13. According to Millar, there will be changes in the book. Possibly some new members, some members may be married, others may be pregnant(!).Millar also cleared out the rumors before they could start—the relaunch of The Ultimates came about because of him and artist Bryan Hitch. Millar says he thinks of #1-13, or volume one of The Ultimates, as the first movie. Volume two consists of the sequel. Millar went on to say that he wants to have several volumes of The Ultimates, and hopes this practice will continue after he leaves the book."

Here's the scoop:

"Mark Millar announced that The Ultimates #13 will be the last issue of the series. The book will then relaunch with a new #1, and it will take place approximately six months after the conclusion of issue #13. According to Millar, there will be changes in the book. Possibly some new members, some members may be married, others may be pregnant(!).Millar also cleared out the rumors before they could start—the relaunch of The Ultimates came about because of him and artist Bryan Hitch. Millar says he thinks of #1-13, or volume one of The Ultimates, as the first movie. Volume two consists of the sequel. Millar went on to say that he wants to have several volumes of The Ultimates, and hopes this practice will continue after he leaves the book."

Why doesn't Marvel just get a different writer? This guy obviously shouldn't be doing a monthly (in the case of Ultimates semimonthly or whenever the heck he wants to put out the next issue). I don't like not knowing when the next issue will come out. Sort of like Kevin Smith in Daredevil: Target and Spider-man/Black Cat. Why is Marvel allowing these guys to do stuff like that? Are these guys so good that Marvel can't afford to not let them do this unprofessional [!@#%^&^]? 893frustrated.gif

...went to the shop last night to PU BM, ASM & Wolvie and the shop owner pointed it out. He was not very supportive of the idea and said he guessed Marvel though their [!@#%^&^] did'nt stink.

I could have written this verbatim as I had the same experience. REtailers not thrilled with this new Marvel previews style, you can't even use it to order??? WTF? I didn't think Mystique was a sold out hot issue worthy of consideration for non reprinting???

There is such anti-marvel sentiment growing they should really be careful. DC is nabbing all the creators & has all the buzz, marvel just has people griping about them! In Millar's defense, i think its hitch that holds up the books because of his art style.