• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ciorac, Detective27Kid, Esquirecomics, Steve Borock , Beerbohm at GEM!

268 posts in this topic

1870821-geppi-2037.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif utility belt... pretend to be lawyer by day... on the red phone to the commissioner... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Only one thing missing...He could NEVER pass for a handsome dashing playboy!

Don't try so hard to persuade me to buy any more books from you. I can't take all these nice compliments! makepoint.gifinsane.gif

1870821-geppi-2037.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif utility belt... pretend to be lawyer by day... on the red phone to the commissioner... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe he was calling his brother?

confused-smiley-013.gif

brothers.jpg

I am sure there could be some snazzy photo motion thingy Flee could make with these two photos. But I lack the skillz and had to panhandle just for this still shot.

sorry.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! foreheadslap.gif

Rich, you are REALLY dating yourself!

Like Golden Age comics, some things get better with time.

If the Police come anywhere near your town, trade some of those old funnybooks for some tickets. It might cost you a Batman in the teens, but it is worth it.

A Great Show!

A little history

Action Comics #1 - A Legal Issue!

Did you Know...?, Scoop, Friday, October 04, 2002

As if being a brilliant copy of the most sought after comic book in history wasn't enough, did you know that the actual copy of Action Comics #1, from the first-ever copyright infringement suit concerning Superman, still exists?

“A rival might come from anywhere, even the same building. Victor Fox, an accountant for DC, saw the sales figures and promptly opened his own office just a few floors away,” wrote Les Daniels in DC Comics, Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes."

He hired the Eisner-Iger Studio to do the work on Wonder Man for Wonder Comics. The legendary Will Eisner reportedly protested the similarities between Wonder Man and Superman, but Fox, who earned a reputation for being tough with creators, was adamant about what he wanted.

“He was a thief in the real, true sense,” Eisner said of Fox, in Comics Between the Panels, “A real con man.”

While Eisner protested, though, Jerry Iger indicated that's what Fox was paying for. And, that's pretty much what DC was paying its lawyers for, too!

Not surprisingly, Superman's owners took an interest in this new character of Wonder Man.

And DC hit Fox with a copyright infringement lawsuit.

This historic copy of Action Comics #1 was filed as evidence in that lawsuit. With date stamps from the Federal District Court on March 16, 1939 and again on April 6, 1939, this book was a key piece of evidence (along with Eisner's testimony) in DC's successful action against Fox.

Wonder Comics #1 was Fox's character's only appearance, but Fox himself stuck around, publishing Phantom Lady, All Top, Blue Beetle and others before disappearing, owing a lot of people money.

DC went on to actively pursue their copyright interests in numerous other cases, several of them famous.

A little history

Action Comics #1 - A Legal Issue!

Did you Know...?, Scoop, Friday, October 04, 2002

As if being a brilliant copy of the most sought after comic book in history wasn't enough, did you know that the actual copy of Action Comics #1, from the first-ever copyright infringement suit concerning Superman, still exists?

“A rival might come from anywhere, even the same building. Victor Fox, an accountant for DC, saw the sales figures and promptly opened his own office just a few floors away,” wrote Les Daniels in DC Comics, Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes."

He hired the Eisner-Iger Studio to do the work on Wonder Man for Wonder Comics. The legendary Will Eisner reportedly protested the similarities between Wonder Man and Superman, but Fox, who earned a reputation for being tough with creators, was adamant about what he wanted.

“He was a thief in the real, true sense,” Eisner said of Fox, in Comics Between the Panels, “A real con man.”

While Eisner protested, though, Jerry Iger indicated that's what Fox was paying for. And, that's pretty much what DC was paying its lawyers for, too!

Not surprisingly, Superman's owners took an interest in this new character of Wonder Man.

And DC hit Fox with a copyright infringement lawsuit.

This historic copy of Action Comics #1 was filed as evidence in that lawsuit. With date stamps from the Federal District Court on March 16, 1939 and again on April 6, 1939, this book was a key piece of evidence (along with Eisner's testimony) in DC's successful action against Fox.

Wonder Comics #1 was Fox's character's only appearance, but Fox himself stuck around, publishing Phantom Lady, All Top, Blue Beetle and others before disappearing, owing a lot of people money.

DC went on to actively pursue their copyright interests in numerous other cases, several of them famous.

Interesting tidbit.

Anyone know how the DC lawsuit exhibits actually entered the open market?

Any clue as to the Fox exhibits?

I'm not. I don't get jealous. I'm secure in my own personal worth. Besides, with the great collections some of you have I'd be getting jealous every minute of the day and we can't have that.

Just act a little jealous... it's the polite thing to do. gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm not. I don't get jealous. I'm secure in my own personal worth. Besides, with the great collections some of you have I'd be getting jealous every minute of the day and we can't have that.

Just act a little jealous... it's the polite thing to do. gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

OK, I'm a bit jealous, especially of how young The Kid is.

Hey Mark....what the heck are you doing? We are surrounded by over 200 years of pop culture, and you're standing around watching TV !! makepoint.gif

1873280-geppi-2034.jpg

Yea but it was the Honeymooners!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like I Love Lucy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Mark....what the heck are you doing? We are surrounded by over 200 years of pop culture, and you're standing around watching TV !! makepoint.gif

1873280-geppi-2034.jpg

Yea but it was the Honeymooners!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like I Love Lucy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well that too, but I was watching/taking picture of the Honeymooners! headbang.gif

Can anyone tell me the significance of Arnold and this display case? popcorn.gif

Arnold1.jpg

Those are his personal Care Bears?